Polished Bliss®: Yamaha R6

Take good care of her
tuscan_thunder

Polished Bliss®: Yamaha R6

Post by tuscan_thunder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Thought this might be of interest to the SE Bikers (I haven't signed up there yet - my plans for a bike have been delayed for a time)

Something a little bit different for us but something we're now actively doing, is detailing bikes. We'd always declined in the past as we hadn't had enough hands on experience to take money from customers for a job; but we've now got a bit more experience and this is the first write up of a bike we've done.

Enjoy!

The owner of this R6 regularly has his other car done by us and wanted his bike to look equally as good so he left it with us for a few weeks so I could work on it at my leisure.

The detail took approx 2 full days when I totalled up the man hours.

So here it is on arrival:

The badges on the tank were to be replaced with new ones so I carefully removed them:

This left a bit of residue which Autosmart Tardis easily removed:

Image Image

Using an open ended hose I then gave the bike a thorough rinse off to get rid of as much dust and grit as possible...

...Then applied APC to the front end to help the removal of the dead bugs:

Again using APC, the wheels/brakes/suspension/engine etc were cleaned with the various sized brushes:

After a good rinse off the bike was then washed with the 2BM...

...followed by another thorough rinse and then dried off with the Black Baron:

The paint gauge revealed that the paint was quite thin on this bike with the average readings being about 80/85 microns, however it was pretty hard so I needed Menzerna 3.02 and a light cut pad with the rotary to achieve the desired level of correction.

Here's a before and after of where there was a small area suffering from sanding marks which were previously hidden by the badges:

Image Image

If you look closely on the right hand picture you'll see a slightly blurred reflection where the finish had been ridged during the sanding process. The new badges would hide this so it would be daft to go any further to try and improve this.

The general swirling wasn't too bad but I was still a bit surprised I needed the cut of 3.02 to remove everything:

Afters:

The finish from the 3.02 was LSP ready as you can see so after a wee bit of dusting down I cleansed the paint with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid and then waxed with Crystal Rock:

The wheels were done with Swissvax Autobahn and all the matt finishes were protected with Swissvax Opaque after being cleaned with the Opaque cleaner.

Opaque Cleaner being applied:

The finish left from the Opaque Wax:

New badges applied :thumb:

And here's the end result :)

Mair throttle, less brake

j2 lot

Re: Polished Bliss®: Yamaha R6

Post by j2 lot » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:39 pm

What products would you recomend for a bike with white paintwork,matt black engine cover and 'oily bits' with a smattering of chrome?
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:27 pm

theres a few companies who do ACF50 coatings to help winterproof bikes, as they rust alot more than cars. Is that something you would reccomend??

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm

mckeann wrote:theres a few companies who do ACF50 coatings to help winterproof bikes, as they rust alot more than cars. Is that something you would reccomend??
WTF?

(Reported to Mod, McApe's account has been hacked.)
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:21 pm

pete wrote:
mckeann wrote:theres a few companies who do ACF50 coatings to help winterproof bikes, as they rust alot more than cars. Is that something you would reccomend??
WTF?

(Reported to Mod, McApe's account has been hacked.)

just aswell you didnt see me earlier, I cleaned the tank* (to stick some stomp grips on) and cleaned out a few more bits of gravel. Thats stuff gets EVERYWHERE.

* when i say i cleaned the tank, i mean i cleaned the minimum amount of tank required to allow it to stick.

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 am

j2 lot wrote:What products would you recomend for a bike with white paintwork,matt black engine cover and 'oily bits' with a smattering of chrome?
For cleaning, Auto Finesse Citrus Power will be great for the dirtier tasks and remove bug splatter etc: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... power.html

Regular shampoo for the rest - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... ather.html

I'd then use the Werkstat Acrylic kit: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat1.html

Stage one is Acrylic Prime; a paint cleanser; ideal for stubborn grime but you can use this on the fairings and the screen - it's also a good metal cleaner so perfect for chrome and exhausts etc. I'd also use it on the rear wheel as it'll offer some protection against chain lube splatter.

Stage two is Acrylic Jett Trigger; it's a sythetic paint sealant, offers great protection and leaves a slick surface; makes cleaning easier. In my experience it's perfect on matt vinyl wraps so I don't see any reason why it won't work on the matt areas of the bike.

Stage three is Acrylic Glos; part cleaner, part sealant - best to use after you next wash the bike as a top up type product; it'll help remove water spots etc too.

Not something I know a lot about to be honest so I'll have to look into it. We might investigate some bike-specific products in the future. A lot of what we sell is perfect for use on bikes but there are some products, such as ACF50, which might be a good idea. We'll get some and give it a test.

At the moment, we'd tend to take the view of regular cleaning and adding a sythetic sealant http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... igger.html to protect surfaces

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:19 am

Off topic but wing mirrors are the same as the 211...just a bit closer together. :)

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Used ACF50 on the Atom - highly recommended and has a great rep :thumbsup

Quiet why you'll need it in Spain you b*stard i dont know :damnfunny :cheers
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:37 pm

tuscan_thunder wrote:
j2 lot wrote:What products would you recomend for a bike with white paintwork,matt black engine cover and 'oily bits' with a smattering of chrome?
Stuff
:cheers pleased to hear that the Werkstat acrylic is a good option as thats what I use on the cars too, so keeps it simple.
I will need to check to see if any are needing replaced soon so the fleet is ready for the winter :lol:
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:58 pm

The key one you'll need is Jett Trigger (the white, sprayable liquid). It's the sealant itself so is the aspect of the kit which offers the most protection against the elements.

:)

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 pm

what would you reccomend for matt paintwork?? My triumph street triple has matt grey paint, and i've heard conflicting advice on wether to polish or wax it.

(just ordered a snow foam kit, bug remover, and some brushes from yourselves, plus a pressure washer from elsewhere, i hope i dont get bored of this cleaning malarky :D )

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 am

mckeann wrote:cleaning

Eh ??? what have you done with the real Mckeann ?
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 am

mckeann wrote:what would you reccomend for matt paintwork?? My triumph street triple has matt grey paint, and i've heard conflicting advice on wether to polish or wax it.

(just ordered a snow foam kit, bug remover, and some brushes from yourselves, plus a pressure washer from elsewhere, i hope i dont get bored of this cleaning malarky :D )

Whatever you do, don't polish it or you'll end up with glossy, non-matt paintwork!

Snow foam and bug remover will be ideal for it; take care with both that you don't let them dry on the surface.

The best way to deal with the matt paint is with Swissvax Opaque; http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... paque.html Shampoo with no gloss enhancing oils, Pre-cleaner with no gloss enhancing oils, Opaque wax and Opaque quick finish (quick detailer/wipe down product).

However, I appreciate that's not the cheapest kit on the market so I've listed alternatives below.

With the snow foam make sure you rinse it very, very thoroughly to remove any glossing agents from the surface.

Then wash carefully http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... ather.html by this method http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... rying.html will be ideal and then dry carefully.

Then if it needs further cleaning or preparation, use a glass cleaner: Meguiar's NXT is good http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... eaner.html as it's not overly strong - always spray a glass cleaner onto the towel first, not the glass.

Protection: Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger is ideal: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... igger.html I've used it on matt wraps with absolutely no issues so it'll be ideal on matt paints. On matt black wraps it just darkens them ever so slightly (only really noticable on a side by side on panels) doesn't add any gloss but protects the surface nicely.

let me know if you need any further advice

mac

Post by mac » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:33 pm

I've got the jett thingy (I think) if you want to try it first Neil.
S2 Elise (cobalt blue with stripes) - toy spec
Caterham 7 - hillclimb spec
Yamaha Thundercat - 2 wheeled toy spec

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:46 pm

mac wrote:I've got the jett thingy (I think) if you want to try it first Neil.
Think your's is Carnauba Jett, Mac? It'll gloss the finish up a bit as it's got quite a decent slug of carnauba wax in it.

:)