North Coast 500

Anything goes in here.....
tut
Barefoot Ninja

Re: North Coast 500

Post by tut » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm

That is when men were men Iain in a single model Elise car, however there is still a hard core that de-tin roof their Exiges, but there are fewer runs now as they get older with families.

Our drive was snow covered but Jim made it up no problem. Already sorted out a couple of problems, there is a NRV fitted, but not where he expected it to be, it is above the circulation pump and covered by insulation. The inlet and outlet valves on the pump were closed so it was never doing anything anyway. This was probably down to me as I thought it was not working so was going to replace it, but never carried it through and must not have turned them back on again.

However he has now explained to me that the reason I thought it was not working is that when the HW immersion cylinder demands heat, the GSHP turns off the circulation pump to the underfloor heating and turns on the hot water pump to put all the output to the cylinder, so the two are never on at the same time.

I drained down the cylinder, of course the hose pipe was frozen so had to heat that up before I could attach it to the drain cock, so Jim is now soldering the pin hole. Hopefully when he has finished and everything is topped up and switched on, the solder will hold so no new tank needs to be fitted, and the heat Pump will take the cylinder up to 50deg with the electric immersion heater switched off.

tut

timmsky

Post by timmsky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Fingers crossed tut, I spoke to Jim this morning before he left to make sure he could get out from his place. Glad he didn't have to walk up the drive with his toolbox :shock:

One day soon we should get an oldies run organised and although we may not be fit to camp anymore, it would be great to hoon around the roads up here (at 60 tuts or less naturally officer) :thumbsup

tut wrote:That is when men were men Iain in a single model Elise car, however there is still a hard core that de-tin roof their Exiges, but there are fewer runs now as they get older with families.

Our drive was snow covered but Jim made it up no problem. Already sorted out a couple of problems, there is a NRV fitted, but not where he expected it to be, it is above the circulation pump and covered by insulation. The inlet and outlet valves on the pump were closed so it was never doing anything anyway. This was probably down to me as I thought it was not working so was going to replace it, but never carried it through and must not have turned them back on again.

However he has now explained to me that the reason I thought it was not working is that when the HW immersion cylinder demands heat, the GSHP turns off the circulation pump to the underfloor heating and turns on the hot water pump to put all the output to the cylinder, so the two are never on at the same time.

I drained down the cylinder, of course the hose pipe was frozen so had to heat that up before I could attach it to the drain cock, so Jim is now soldering the pin hole. Hopefully when he has finished and everything is topped up and switched on, the solder will hold so no new tank needs to be fitted, and the heat Pump will take the cylinder up to 50deg with the electric immersion heater switched off.

tut

scotty dugg

Post by scotty dugg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 am

We did this in May last year, managed to borrow the girlfriends dad's Porsche Boxster for the trip. Absolutely loved it, started in Aberdeen to Perth, up the west coast to loop skye then the NC500 round to Inverness and back to Aberdeen via the Lecht.

Including the night before and night after (collecting and dropping off the Boxster from Glasgow), totalled 1400 miles over the 4 day trip with the roof down constantly, bar one misty morning!

ImageNC500 #1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Going to do this at the end of May if anyone fancies joining me. Looking to do parts of the driving early morning and later at night when the roads are quieter.

Steve.

mxvx

Post by mxvx » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 pm

C7Steve wrote:Going to do this at the end of May if anyone fancies joining me. Looking to do parts of the driving early morning and later at night when the roads are quieter.

Steve.
Most likely Steve unless there is a clash with work. I am also doing this in March at some stage before it gets too busy.

the penguin

Post by the penguin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm

C7Steve wrote:Going to do this at the end of May if anyone fancies joining me. Looking to do parts of the driving early morning and later at night when the roads are quieter.

Steve.
If I get some miles on the Elise and prove its reliability I could be tempted