S1 Elise For Sale - Thoughts please !

Anything goes in here.....
GBSGR5

Post by GBSGR5 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi - I'm new to the forum, but have been looking to buy a S1 Elise for the last 6 months. One has come up for sale on Auto Trader which is less than 100 miles from where I live, but it looks fairly steep money for what appears to be an untidy car ? Does anybody know the car or care to cast an opinion ?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

The only other place that looks reasonable for an S1 Elise at the moment is Pure Lotus in Harrogate. It's a long way from Aberdeenshire so does anyone know anything about them ?

http://www.pure-lotus.co.uk/

Thanks

GBSGR5

haggis catcher

Re: S1 Elise For Sale - Thoughts please !

Post by haggis catcher » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 pm

I would say you would get a far better S1 for the same money. If you reall want a good one ,for fair money? Then you will have to prepared to travel.
There are plenty better car south of the border, and you could end up getting a better car in the end.
Elise S1

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 pm

S1,s seem to up for big money just now, not sure if they are selling for these figures though.
I think a lot of cars are going overseas( in general,not just lotus) which is pushing the cost up.
I have been looking for anther car as well, but just cant decide what to go for.

Keep looking and the right car will come along, what are you looking for , and what budget?

Stu

P.s. Welcome

Pps, do you not fancy a VX220,?
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 pm

haggis catcher wrote:I would say you would get a far better S1 for the same money. If you reall want a good one ,for fair money? Then you will have to prepared to travel.
There are plenty better car south of the border, and you could end up getting a better car in the end.
Yeh, cause all the cars up here have been ragged to death , lol
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm

IMHO £8k for a good S1 is sensible money. They are unlikely to drop below that (Classic Car predicted a floor of even £10k, in an article several years back, and they appear to have settled at £7k-£8k in decent condition for a number of years already).

That said, the one in the ad is not exactly pristine...but be careful. A pristine S1 does not equal a good S1, because if they have spent too long in a garage or have done too few miles then there may actually be more to fix shortly than has already been fixed...IYSWIM. Eg, my 99 example has 95k miles on it but I think it would be considered extremely well maintained and that it "drives almost like new". Happy to be corrected on this by those who have more knowledge / experience (Robin feel free to step in!).

One other observation. If that ruby car really is a 99 T then it's on the wrong rims. 99 model year cars were shipped with the later 12-spoke wheels. But that's just an anorak point ;-)

Take your time. If you can. Something might even pop up here, in which case we'll know its history. In detail (too much sometimes eh!!)

Campbell
S1 veteran - now in my 13th year, O M G.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

graeme

Post by graeme » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 pm

The autotrader one is definitely overpriced. You really need to buy that for well under £7k to make it worth the repair. I'd go for higher miles but loved over lower miles but shagged.

As for Pure Lotus... Take one used-car salesman, add every stereotype you can think of, mix in a handfull of bullsh*t, sprinkle lightly with Elises and serve in an industrial unit on the A1. Take everything from Pure with a pinch of salt: 40k miles means 49,999. Mint condition means a bit worn and scruffy. That sort of thing. Your experience may vary, but I'd do as much checking over the phone as you can before potentially wasting a trip.

Keep an eye on pistonheads and seloc classifieds too, if you aren't already.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 pm

:welcome
Listen to the wise words of the resident experts on here and you won't go wrong. Hope you get a good one :thumbsup
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

mikeyb13

Post by mikeyb13 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 am

Worth searching far and wide to find the right car. I was booked to London to look at a few cars when looking for the Exige. The next day a nice one happened to come on sale in the Borders and I raced there to put on a deposit. But that was just lucky.
Or you could be really cheeky like me with the S1. Take your time go to meets, sidc days etc and if you see one you really want ask the owner to sell you it.
"I've had enough sh1t"

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 am

If that car is well maintained it could be ok. The damage on the roof is really a red herring, the bit in the back is the thing to check. The owner could just be honest, it does happen. All points are bargaining tools.

When I was looking I found a minter that turned out to be far from it and then bought one that had(has) a scratch on the front but the rest of the car was good. If its close enough, go and look at it. Look at others too. There's a meet at Powmill on Sunday which could be a good place to some examples. Good luck!

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 am

Yep, and as "the season" gets into full swing there will be many other meets to explore too...

- more LEGS breakfasts, perhaps one nearer ABZ too

- Knockhill trackdays (often gatecrashing John Stewart's sterling efforts on the SIDC - "Subaru International Driving Club" - days)

- Local NE SE runs (if Tut has any cars left to take part in)

- Campaganzas...an excuse to tear up the far reaches of Scotland, pitch tents for the night with BBQ and occasionally some swimming or drinking

- other trackdays like LoT days, Bookatrack etc etc at circuits in England, Wales or further afield (getting a pax seat to travel to these is often possible)

Between that lot you'll get to see almost every variant of Lotus since 1996 so no excuses for not having done your homework!
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:43 am

a search on seloc will find lots of info on pure lotus, almost all of it bad. i'd steer well clear

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 am

As stated above, that is not the car to be looking at.

Good S1's are fetching strong money and in some cases early S2's can be bought at the same or even cheaper.
So widen your search and above all ..............be patient.
Anything that takes your fancy you can post it up here...........and run the risk of some wag pinching it before you.
You can tell a lot about a car and the owner by studying what is in the background of the photographs...........try it on your current Ad!!

Elises are perennial and start appearing alongside the daffodils and the snowdrops :D

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

GregR

Post by GregR » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 am

campbell wrote:One other observation. If that ruby car really is a 99 T then it's on the wrong rims. 99 model year cars were shipped with the later 12-spoke wheels. But that's just an anorak point ;-)
Remove your anorak - my 99 T-plate was on the five spoke rims ;)

And SIDC = Subaru Impreza Driver's Club :damnfunny
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

KevD

Post by KevD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am

my 99 V has the awesome AWI wheels as well.

Definitely better cars than that for £8.5k! Get on seloc and have a look no there as well. Get some test drives so you know what it should feel like. Look for things being replaced - especially suspension. As has been said mileage is less important that care. There will be more up for sale once the weather improves and prices might be a little less 'over optimistic' - £8.5k for a damaged s1 is a piss take.

Look for right tyres ( I didnt , doh!) and s2 suspension fitted to it ( or nitron street series).

K

ceejam

Post by ceejam » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am

GregR wrote:
campbell wrote:One other observation. If that ruby car really is a 99 T then it's on the wrong rims. 99 model year cars were shipped with the later 12-spoke wheels. But that's just an anorak point ;-)
Remove your anorak - my 99 T-plate was on the five spoke rims ;)

And SIDC = Subaru Impreza Driver's Club :damnfunny
Mine too ;) registered on 99 T.
For Sale soon too :(

Similar mileage to that Red one, Yoko Advans, S2 Bilsteins, uniball toe links, new AP Clutch & gearbox oil seals.

PM me if you're interested - I'm in Edinburgh.