My 1 week Elise

Anything goes in here.....
Peter76

My 1 week Elise

Post by Peter76 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:18 pm

As some of you know, I purchased Ross's old Elise and subsequently managed to roll it the 4th time I drove it! Not proud, felt and still feel like a bit of a twat. Was waiting until the insurance was settled before i posted, but it seems that they are selling the Elise already on the Bluecycle website. Without going into too much detail..... It was a bit damp, much more greasy than I realised, came round a bend, lost the back end and went into a wall/embankment (B road) and rolled over a couple of times, according to witnesses and ended up parked upsides down. Really not my best moment, and in 18 years of driving, I've never had an accident that was my fault. I'm VERY thankful that I never managed to collide with anyone else and keep reminding myself how lucky I was not to have any injuries beyond some bruising across the top of my legs from the seatbelt and a deep cut to my thumb. After seeing the state of my laptop bag, I can't help but think what would have happened to me had I not been wearing my seatbelt. I remember rolling then sliding along the road on the roof, pretty much waiting for a tree or rocks from the wall to come through the windscreen and take me out. Thankfully that never happened, when I finally came to rest - I released the seatbelt and dropped to the ground, I think forgetting I was upside down. Stupidly, when I realised I was ok, I actually paused before trying to slide out of the passenger window, trying to decide how to get through the glass and muck without getting dirty etc!! I then immediately started thinking about petrol & fire and then got the feck out of there just incase! Witnesses I think were about as shocked as I was, thinking that I wasn't going to be walking away from that one. Ambulance and Police showed up and all asked for numbers for the lottery and continually reminded me how lucky I was - to the point it was getting irritating. Police spoke to all the witnesses who all confirmed I wasn't speeding, or driving too fast so they were happy, however, had I hit someone else, it would have been a different story. One of the coppers actually told me he'd done the same thing not so long ago himself. Breathalyser obviously negative having been at work the whole day, and the fact I don't drink and drive!

Apologies for the blurry photo, it was taken while I was still shaking, on my Blackberry, which unfortunately survived the crash unlike my (works) laptop. I have been through many emotions since the event, never wanting one again - that lasted a week! Then thought about buying it back from the insurance, but it would probably take me far to long to get it back on the road, so I've decided not to go down that route. I will have another! I know a few people have showed interest in buying the car, if it's any consoldation, the rear clam I think might be repairable. I have the feeling that the car has been assessed as Cat C by the photos, do they even send people to do this properly these days? I was expecting a cheque before the car was auctioned, but that's not happened yet. The rest of the damage can be seen from the photos. Front nearside suspension damage too. Unfortunately they appear to have left the car sitting out in the p1ssing rain.

I never even managed to take my own photos of the car pre-accident. However, in it's former glory....

Sorry for destroying your car Ross!

Take it easy out there folks, I see there were two incidents posted yesterday too. I still can't get my head round how easily the back end went.
2008 VW Golf R32
2013 BMW 330d X Drive M Sport

ed

Re: My 1 week Elise

Post by ed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Bad luck!

Glad you are ok! :thumbsup
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:53 pm

:-( Really sorry to hear this, but can sympathise as I went through the same sequence of emotions after I wrote my S1 off all those years ago ...

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

graeme

My 1 week Elise

Post by graeme » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 pm

In two weeks that road claimed Peter's S1, a Saab, a Corsa (rolled in exactly the same place as Peter), a two-hatchback head-on I couldnt identify, and a 4-vehicle incident I didn't get close enough to see because they'd closed the road. On the day of Peter's incident I can vouch that the surface was as greasy and slippery as any road I've ever driven. I myself was dicking around with understeer and traction control on/off in the mini, thinking " I cannot believe how little grip there is!". Then I saw Peter's car upside down and... well, :(

mikeyb13

Post by mikeyb13 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Glad your ok. But could everyone please stop crashing their Elises?
My insurance is up for renewal this month.
"I've had enough sh1t"

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:30 pm

:withstupid
Glad your ok - shame about the car but these things do happen, unfortunately rather a lot if the 'crashed Lotus' posts this week alone are anything to go by :roll: Hope the insurance are good to you with their payout. I wonder if they will give you the amount you valued the car at given it was so recently insured?
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Glad your ok, and nobody else was injured too.

Which road in Aberdeen?

Steve.

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:40 pm

oooft.

Glad you're ok.

I've actually just found another pic of your accident that someone must have taken a few seconds after it happened......

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm

DDtB wrote:oooft.

Glad you're ok.

I've actually just found another pic of your accident that someone must have taken a few seconds after it happened......

Tut, is that you collecting spares for your car? :wink:

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:47 pm

I thought that the mirror looked intact, a hobby of mine, but the glass was cracked.

tut

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm

:damnfunny At DDtB

Peter, really glad you are okay, sounds like a lucky escape. From the auction pics of the car it really shows how tough these cars can be. I can't imagine many cars that could roll four times and still appear with apparently light(ish) damage.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Glad you're virtually unharmed! There are plenty of other cars out there.
Dominic wrote:From the auction pics of the car it really shows how tough these cars can be.
Exactly my thoughts!
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

r055

Post by r055 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 pm

glad you posted this...
... I don't want it back.

at least the lights still work!

glad you are ok Peter and glad you can now post about it and get it off your chest - like therapy.
any thoughts on what you are doing next?
Calypso Red S1 111s

Peter76

Post by Peter76 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Just for an idea on timescales, this happened on the 15th June. It was a month ago, I'm perfectly ok, I only chose to post now before someone posted a link to the Bluecycle website.

Steve, it was the Westhill to Blackburn Road.

Dom, yeah, forgot to mention that during impact, instinct just told me to hold on to the steering wheel and pretty much keep myself to myself - if you like. Remember looking at the roll bar the night before and feeling quite re-assured by it. They do seem to be tough cars - I really hope that the guy with the Exige in the other thread is ok. Hopefully there was no passenger in that one.

When I think about the number of 'runs' I've been on, and this happened on what should have been a straight forward 15 minute drive home from work, when I was in no way whatsoever, 'pushing it'! We did a run in similar conditions just before the SE Xmas doo in 2009 and I remember being very impressed at how much grip I was getting, and that was on 48s. I guess the difference was that they had warmed up. Bit of a rookie mistake i made, but have learned a lot from it!

If anyone knows who ends up with the car, please can you PM me and let me know.

Edit: Ross, not sure what to do at the moment. I really wanted to buy it back and make a project of it, but having given that some thought, the reality is, that I just wouldn't have the time to get it back on the road any time soon. I hope someone else from SE does just that.
Last edited by Peter76 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 VW Golf R32
2013 BMW 330d X Drive M Sport

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Man that looks scary ! Delighted to hear you are ok and nobody else was hurt. Shame to see such a great car in that state. Certainly a reminder to take it easy out there.