The end of coal

Anything goes in here.....
C7Steve

The end of coal

Post by C7Steve » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 am

David

Re: The end of coal

Post by David » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:11 pm

This actually worries me a little as the biomass that is replacing it has a 'double whammy' carbon penalty.

Not only are you still releasing CO2, but nature's mechanism for removing is being destroyed too. You can't replace a mature tree in less time than CO2 is likely to become a real problem. And planting thousands of saplings still won't replace a single mature tree's uptake of CO2. There just isn't enough free land to make this more carbon neutral than burning coal.
Caterham - R400
Mini Cooper

Duratec in Detail
flickr
Youtube
facebook

neil

Post by neil » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:42 pm

I imagine that when they say it was a coal free day they mean they didn't use any of the power from coal generation rather than there was no coal burnt for electricity generation. Given that you cant just turn a coal power station on and off, they'll have still been burning the coal. A bit like turning your heating on and opening all your doors and windows.
Exige V6

c8rkh

Post by c8rkh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Jesus David and Neil - don't go ruining a great green story with the truth now or, heaven forbid, common sense facts! If you're not careful you'll have the greens campaigning outside your houses and egg bombing you for telling the truth and shattering their fantasies. It's a bit like the carbon neutral flight schemes - pay an extra £££ on your flight cost and the airline promises to do stuff to make your travel greener. What utter nonsense. I'm off for a 3 hour drive to nowhere in my Evora to burn some carbon based fuels. Just because I can... :)
2001 VX220 SC - Sylvia - with Larini sports exhaust, chargecooler etc.

2018 Evora Sport 410 in Fire Red.

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Passed a big hydro Loch on way back from Harris today canny mind the name about 50-80mile north west of Fort Bill, it was nearly empty 8-10 meters of head dropped was my guess given how much of the banks was showing. The must have been trying hard!
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Isn't Hydro just used for pump storage and to fill up the gaps?

I don't think Drax uses much coal anymore it's mainly burning pellets imported for abroad. I read somewhere that Drax was a less polouting power station that the ones they have been throwing up in China at the rate of one a week.

I recon flywheel storage for wind turbines is the way to go. You need something with a bit of mass behind for quick spool up of power, that you can't get from wind.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Look at what Tesla are doing with grid level batteries the wind being part of our future energy might be closer then you think.
Landrover 90 = Muddy shed spec
Fiat panda = Couldn't care less spec
Landrover ?? = Muddy shrek spec
Unimog 404S = Very slow silly offroader spec
Kubota F1900 = Snowplough spec

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:54 pm

The pumping of water to the top is pretty err damn inefficient ;) As you say, flywheels, or grid batteries are the solution. It's a real shame that Scotland imported lots and lots of wind turbines in the last decade or so rather than invest in building a Scottish industry with expertise looking at solving the renewable's problem.

The China thing is interesting too, I remember reading an article on a UK coal power station being decommissioned and referring to a Russian station which 'experts' referred to as on a par with a Victorian England power station.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

neil

Post by neil » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm

The inefficiency of pumping water to the top is one of the reasons why it works so well. It allows the big base load per stations to work flat out where they're most efficient. The pumped storage then uses any excess to pump the water up the hill. The beauty of pumped storage is it can go from using to producing electricity in a very short time.
Exige V6

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Corranga wrote:The pumping of water to the top is pretty err damn inefficient ;) As you say, flywheels, or grid batteries are the solution. It's a real shame that Scotland imported lots and lots of wind turbines in the last decade or so rather than invest in building a Scottish industry with expertise looking at solving the renewable's problem.

The China thing is interesting too, I remember reading an article on a UK coal power station being decommissioned and referring to a Russian station which 'experts' referred to as on a par with a Victorian England power station.
really?

Dinorwig plant runs on average at 74–76% efficiency, which when you compare it to battery/inverter/etc it's actually pretty dam good (also, rainfall actually improves this figure)

other big upside is it's VERY fast, as in idle to full load in ~16 seconds (0 - 1.6GW) and has an almost infinite life compared to batteries (Dinorwig's been running since 1984)

back to the so called coal free day, anybody that thinks shipping millions of tonnes of wood from the US to burn (at Drax) is better than burning coal really needs to re-think their green credentials.

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Pumped storage is great if you have a big hole in the top of a hill

If you don't then it is difficult to do

So instead lets lift big lumps of rock

http://www.heindl-energy.com/gravity-st ... ction.html

or lots of little rocks

http://www.aresnorthamerica.com

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:46 pm

That looks like a really bad idea...

you can just imagine the potential disaters

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 am

true

The dam could fail letting thousands of tons of water come tumbling down the valley towards a village.

Or are you talking about the lifting rocks?

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm

thinfourth wrote:Look at what Tesla are doing with grid level batteries the wind being part of our future energy might be closer then you think.
they are, but that does not address the root problem of where the power comes from n the first place.

Re,ember, pump-storage was built to support the nuclear plan...