V6 Tyres

Anything goes in here.....
BigD

V6 Tyres

Post by BigD » Thu May 11, 2017 11:58 am

Plenty of chat on other forums about tyres but wanted to share my latest findings here for info. :lol:

I've just ordered a set of Michelin Cup 2's for the V6 as that's what the new one comes with. I've been checking prices for the last couple of months and they're usually around £700 a set (215 wide fronts).

Tyreleader have them for £616 a set at the moment so have ordered them to try. With the ZZR's being £832 a set and harsh on the road (and issues with delaminating too) I figured I'd try the Cup2's.

They also have AD08's for £488 a set which is very cheap (normally £525 ish). Great winter trackday tyre. 8)

C7Steve

Re: V6 Tyres

Post by C7Steve » Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm

D,

I had sent the below message to the SE V6 owners last September after the SIDC KH day.

"Just a heads up with some information that I heard from Ronnie at 'Wheels Around' yesterday. After discussing tyres for the V6 including the delamination problem that occurred with previous Avon ZZR tyres (Doug has experienced no problems to date with his new rears) and how the ADO8s are getting good feedback with those who have them fitted. Ronnie then mentioned how Yokohama are bringing out a brand new tyre (at the end of 2016, start of 2017) designed from the ground up which will be better than the current ADO8s. The tyre will be available in the V6 rear size and Ronnie thought that this could be an ideal tyre for us who do a few trackdays a year."

I have just called Ronnie after remembering about the above conversation and he told me that they have only had the tyre for about three weeks and it's pretty expensive compared to others in the same genre.

The tyre is called the AO52 from Yokohama and it's a road legal semi-slick.

Front V6 are £189
Rear V6 are £255

Quick Google:

http://www.yokohama.co.uk/Tyres/Motorsp ... ADVAN-A052

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... -a052-tyre

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokoh ... n-A052.htm

From my memory on what is the general consensus on V6 tyres.

Pirelli Corsas LS (previous standard tyre) good road tyre dry and wet. Track usage too soft and wears quickly if pushing hard.
Pirelli Corsa (No LS spec) Kinger had these and thought they were fine.
AvonZZR are great for track but sidewalk too stiff for road and hard to get up to temperature on the road. Sketchy when worn on wet conditions too. Delamination problems on the rear inside for a few of us after Frolic 2015, but Doug had ordered another set afterwards, but not sure of his latest experiences with any delamination issues.
Trofeo R Very sticky, but expensive and quick wearing.
Toyo 888- Kinger thought these were as good as the ZZR, but better in the wet.
Yokohama AD08- Stu & Neil thought they were pretty good in wet and in the dry. ADO8 much better in dry but not so good as the Corsas in the wet.
Michelin Cup 2- (Standard V6 tyre now) D to review very soon :D , but Christie Doran thought they were great in the wet around KH in the Exige Sport 380 when I spoke to her. https://www.christiedoranracing.com/cop ... us-elise-s
Yokohama AO52- Untested to date in any V6 that I know of. (I will post up on the Lotus Forums too, as the Exige V6 section is generally busy with a few of the owners using their cars on track frequently and some have had the Komotec 460 upgrade too.

Steve.

BigD

Post by BigD » Thu May 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks Steve,

I've read a few reviews and opinions on the tyres on the lotus forums but I need to know peoples ability to guage accuracy and find that most of them contradict each other. You really have to just do your own research or go on trusted information from people you know who do trackdays. :thumbsup

Sounds positive for the Cup2's though and my one worry was the wet ability which it seems I shouldn't worry about. 8)

I'll pass on the A052's at those prices I think. Would more likely get ZZR's at that money.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu May 11, 2017 3:50 pm

No mention of AO-48R's.

tut

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm

"The ZZR/ZZS range is designed for those seeking the ultimate in grip and handling; they designed specially for trackday use and has the same rubber compound that Avon Tyres Racing employs in its Group N saloon car race tyres. The road-legal ZZR's predictability at the limit makes it ideal for anyone looking to get the most from their car and tyres.

The ZZR range is designed to give maximum grip in dry conditions but offers considerably less grip in wet conditions where caution should be exercised. The ZZS is designed to give maximum grip in both wet and dry conditions."

tut

BigD

Post by BigD » Thu May 11, 2017 5:06 pm

tut wrote:No mention of AO-48R's.

tut
Too expensive.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu May 11, 2017 7:07 pm

My S2 rears were £132 from Ronnie.

I have a new set of Exige wheels with new ZZR's on so they will probably outlast me.

tut

BigD

V6 Tyres

Post by BigD » Thu May 11, 2017 9:21 pm

tut wrote:My S2 rears were £132 from Ronnie.

tut
How many years ago was that?

£360 for a rear ao48 for the v6.

philthy

Post by philthy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 am

What did you end up going with in the end Don? I'm needing new rears
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am

philthy wrote:What did you end up going with in the end Don? I'm needing new rears
I think it's Michelin Cup 2 tyres that Donald got.

Steve.

SAJ

Post by SAJ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:38 am

I've been using Cup 2 since April last year. On my 4th set now and very happy with them. If you are going to be on track though you need to get a more aggressive camber setup otherwise you end up rolling the sidewalls. Might not be so bad on the Exige with it having a stiffer suspension setup than the Evora. On the Evora I have the max amount of camber possible on the car and the car now doesn't roll the tyres or overheat them. My tyres had bluing on them the first time I used them on stock geo setup, it was only after advice from Michelin that I had the geo adapted for track.

I also daily my car so tend to find that I put quite a few heat cycles through the tyres and often end up replacing them before the tread is completely gone but that's not a criticism of the tyre - I jusy need to pull the finger out and get a set of track wheels and then I'll use PS4S as my daily tyre.

The other thing with Cup 2 is that they shouldn't be run above 36psi hot when on track otherwise they just over heat and lose grip. Probably not an issue on the Exige with it being lighter you'll likely be on lower tyre pressures anyway. 28/26psi (rear/front) cold tends to get me to 35/33 hot on the tyres which works well on the Evora.
Facebook: facebook.com/revlimits1
Instagram: @RevLimits

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am

Hi Saj

Who did you get to do your geo?

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

BigD

Post by BigD » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 am

philthy wrote:What did you end up going with in the end Don? I'm needing new rears
Hi Phil, yes cup 2's which seem really good. Had them at Croft in June and they were very good. Like Saj said I had to drop a lot of pressure out of the rears in particular on track to keep them at the recommended pressures, 29 front and 32 rear.

So run 29/32 cold on the road and when on track adjust them back down to those pressures hot after first session.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 am

Stu160 wrote:Hi Saj

Who did you get to do your geo?

Stu
If you can suffer a trip to the west, Ken Brown in Hillington is a geo guru! :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Baz had a cup 2 fail on the last trip.

ZZRs fitted and the race guys swear by them.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp