Cars and technology

Anything goes in here.....
tonyg

Cars and technology

Post by tonyg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:35 am

I found this an interesting read - there's a couple of interesting onward links too -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40324983
Now with half an engine

Corranga

Re: Cars and technology

Post by Corranga » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 am

Connected cars really seem like a step backwards to me. Connecting for media and phone calls is one thing, but I don't really understand why you'd want to unlock and start your car from a phone, I mean, the extra steps alone is off putting. Take phone out of pocket, unlock it, open an app, connect to the car, unlock... Keys seem so much easier, and then you leave your phone in the office, or the battery goes dead, or a new release of Android or iOS means that your phone is no longer compatible with the latest app (or the older app in a few years)..

And that's all before we get to car companies seemingly relaxed views on hacking and security.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

c8rkh

Post by c8rkh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:04 pm

It's just tech for the sake of it. My wife has newish top of the range Qashqai with so much tech (including apps tp read your emails/texts) that I swear if I bolt on two boosters it could get to the moon.

But the tech is so fooking annoying. For instance keyless stop:start and CO2 saving. So, you've been driving and the car is fully charged. You stop and the engine switches itself off. So you think cool, open the door - argh - wistles, bells, sirens and the tolling of the bell of death! You d1ckhead the car shouts, you didnae push the button to switch the engine off! Argh, but the engine was off you stupid friggin' car. So, you the have to find the key. Re-sink it with the start button by holding it close. etc etc.... argh....

What about the time wifey was dropping me at the airport. Keys in my coat pocket so we all get in and she pushes the button and car starts great. I get to the airport, jump off and wave bye bye. Off she drives. I get to security - oh sh1t, what are these keys in my pocket - yup, the car just carried on as the engine wasnae switched off and my wife didnae notice the wee little yellow symbol on the dash.

What about the automatic handbrake that does not want to switch off when you drive forward. Or, when parked on a slope facing a wall disengages as soon as your foot touches the clutch and you lurch forwards?

Yeah, this tech is really about as much use as a piece of gum on the soul of your shoe but somehow, thanks to Herr Audi, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes we all believe we need it and we need to pay extra for it....

I love my Evora as the amount of useless tech in it is low. I love my VX220 even more as the only tech it has is a cd/radio. I mean, it doesn't even have central locking. Wunderbar!!!
2001 VX220 SC - Sylvia - with Larini sports exhaust, chargecooler etc.

2018 Evora Sport 410 in Fire Red.

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 am

I must be in the minority. The volvo is chock full of tech like radar cruise, collision detection, lane departure warning, leccy seats linked to the key etc and i really like it. Radar cruise in particular.

Don't necessarily want it to make it's way into the evora but as a relaxing and comfy daily driver the tech takes the sting out of my 80 mile commute.

The only thing it doesn't have that i really miss is remote start (great for the winter) and android auto. Both of which i'd have in a heartbeat.
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

BigD

Post by BigD » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 am

Yep, with you on the useless tech. How many people use all the stuff that comes on new cars these days? It's just marketing guff to make us feel better when we buy.

I too like the fact there's no useless tech in the exige. Still a cable operated boot release. :)

Could use cruise control but don't really mind it's not there.

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:30 pm

It's all that useless tech that puts me off some new cars, as that's what primarily seems to go wrong, and I don't see the need for most if it anyway.

My mothers new (last year) C class is a good example. Constant problems with all the stupid stuff going wrong, nothing actually stopped it going but the never ending red or yellow lights on the dash and 'take me to the service shop' message are just a PITA.
It spent many a week there too due to the dealer not being able to figure out what was wrong.

Think I'll buy a Capri.................. :oops:

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm

It wasn't the technology stuff that i really posted the link for.
The thing that struck me was the manufacturer's (apparent) total lack of knowledge and concern for the security aspects (for both the car and customer data) involved.
Now with half an engine

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Is CC an option on the V6 Don and not standard?

tut