Failure to insure DVLA

Anything goes in here.....
p4ilip

Failure to insure DVLA

Post by p4ilip » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:04 pm

My father in law has had an odd letter from the dvla. I told hm first of all it was a scam letter trying to get his details but had a look at it and they seem to think his car was uninsured.

I replied and explained he bought a new car and insured it then changed the plate a month later and obviously told the insurance about this and at some point in between the dvla updating there system and the insurer updating the mid database it's looked like one 'registration' was insured and one not.
They asked for policy details which I gave them and now they have said an insurance certificate or schedule is not acceptable and want the insurance to write a letter to confirm the 'vehicle' was insured!

I't seems obvious that the car was insured from what I've already told them. They want to fine him £100.

As far as I can see my view is correct that the 'vehicle' has been insured the whole time as really a registration is just an easy way of identifying the car. Its seems illogical that they can't work this out as they must have the details of the vehicle anyway being the dvla? You'd then know they could just type the two registrations in and see what happens?

kerryxeg

Re: Failure to insure DVLA

Post by kerryxeg » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:27 pm

I had similar on the motorhome. They have a database which was listed on the letter. If they don't have an insurance match for the reg they send a letter. So there are many possible reasons, but changing plates and not advising the insurance is the most obvious. In my case I put the plate on retention until I got the docs through to do the transfer and forgot to do the transfer, then when my insurance was due I mistakenly thought the plate transfer had been done and renewed to my reg. Likewise I got a letter, looked like a scam, but realised it wasn't when I checked and found the old V5. Glad they sent the warning first rather than just a fine.

I assume the reason they won't take the insurance cert as proof, is because people take out policies then cancel them, so the cert looks valid, but there is no live policy.

p4ilip

Post by p4ilip » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 pm

It must be a new way to raise income.
The reason I thought it was a fake was normally id expect the police to deal with uninsured vehicles and not the Dvla.
When googling this I found that you can't un insure without declaring sorn at the same time now.
https://www.mib.org.uk/reducing-uninsur ... forcement/
So it could be something that could effect anyone who takes a car off the road at winter (like a Lotus) and changes over insurance to another car. Which I've actually done but must have slipped the net. I did this with the car I've made a track car as I bought another road car and wanted to use the no claims discount from my insurance but I didn't get around to declaring it Sorn.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Gets even more confusing when selling as if you send in the v5, you can't cancel the tax, it gets cancelled automatically, then you get a letter bit if you don't get the letter in 6 weeks, you need to call them or basically, get a fine!
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...