Holiday Car Hire Spain...

Anything goes in here.....
mwmackenzie

Holiday Car Hire Spain...

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Anyone know of a company that doesn't fcuk you on insurance and fuel charges.... Last time I was away I was raped with the whole we charge you a full tank and you hand it back empty carry on where they charge you more than the damn thing costs to fill and then was hit with something like £12 a day insurance excess waiver, if I didn't pay it they wanted to hold the £1500 excess on my card, needless to say I didn't have that available so had to pay the extra insurance despite having taken a separate policy off the broker through Alianz which they said meant nothing as I'd still need to pay the excess and claim back off that policy so they were taking the excess either way... that was through Do You Spain and the company was GoldCar I believe... utter scam! I'm away on Thursday morning so could do with booking something tonight or tomorrow at the latest :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

BigD

Re: Holiday Car Hire Spain...

Post by BigD » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Goldcar are awful. When you search for hire cars on do you Spain, just get a full to full fuel policy one.
Unfortunately they all want to charge the insurance on your card if you don't buy the waiver but refund it if no claim. The amounts differ per company but they'll all charge something on a credit card or at least block it off. Some will accept a debit card but it not worth paying the exchange rates as they charge it then refund after, bank charges are the issue there.

Booked my last car through Ryanair car hire which was reasonable too.

It's worth paying more to use a decent hire company that maybe aren't the cheapest but are the least hassle and cheaper in the long run.

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

I use do you Spain, I put the excess on a credit card, and I take out my own annual hire car excess insurance policy for £45. You can also specify full to full fuel policies when you book the car

kerryxeg

Post by kerryxeg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:26 pm

I use auto europe to do a search and this gives you prices with full to full or return empty options. The only other thing to worry about is the deposit insurance which they enjoy adding on at the desk when they threaten to take 1000 euros deposit. I take out my own annual policy with Insurance4carhire, £39.99 per year.

I've used a few local companies in Malaga, Niza are local good value and cheap but in Malaga just outside the airport. If there is not much in it i take europcar - autoeurop have a global deal so they are often similar prices to the local options and they have clear rules on damage. Generally they all inspect the car with you and NIZA take a load of iPad pictures and email them before you leave and check them when you return. The cars in spain can quite often have quite a bit of damage so it I usually take my own pics as well.