Wheel alignment tollerance

Anything goes in here.....
p4ilip

Wheel alignment tollerance

Post by p4ilip » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

I've just been to kwik fit for an mot and had a free wheel alignment check. They said one wheel was 27 minutes towing out. I had them adjust it but googled it and that's the equivialent of 0.45 degree which doesn't sound as bad. I wondered what tollerance do they normally work to? Having never adjusted tracking on a car myself 0.45 degrees sounds like a very small amount.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Re: Wheel alignment tollerance

Post by tut » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Front or rear Phil?

Correct figures for a standard road setup should be front 0.2mm toe out overall (-0.03degs) and rear 1.2mm toe in (0.16degs) each side.

tut

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm not sure on your car Phil but in general the front alignment settings vary from dead straight to 0.07 deg out overall (both sides added together) with a tolerance +/- 0.07 deg overall.

Rear setting vary from toe in 0.16 to 0.33 each side with a tolerance range of 0.07 deg and 0.04 deg side/side.

So if the kwikfit number is correct it was miles out and you'd be able to see that visibly (over 3mm) and should have been very noticeable to drive. If it was front it would have been very fidgety in a straight line, steering wheel not straight and would turn in like tut after a nurse. You would have some excess tyre wear on the inside edges.

If it was rear I'm surprised you haven't visited the nurses yourself as it would have been wanting to spit you off into the bushes at every opportunity...
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

p4ilip

Post by p4ilip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am

Sorry, late reply. It was A fiesta on the front wheels. TBH I'd thought it felt pretty good to drive and hadn't really slowed me down at all. I had it done as had a new set of tyres on so thought best make it all correct but it feels much the same.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:50 am

I very much suspect this is a case of; Kwikfit "We'll give you a free alignment check - oh look, it's way out - let us fix it, that will be £££s to fix". I would be very surprised if it was as far out as they claimed. I am sure you would have noticed if it had been that bad. They are at it IMHO.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Rosssco

Post by Rosssco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Assuming you needed disc and pads all round also? ;)
VX220 SC
M135i
Parajet V3 Moster 185