Dead K Series

The place to "speak geek"
mwmackenzie

Re: Dead K Series

Post by mwmackenzie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:17 pm

istoo wrote:What production cars came with the VVC?
MGF TF, S2 111s, inseem t think there was a Rover/MG 25 shape that had that engine with a. Red grille...

I.e. How many VVC engines are likely to be still kicking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MG ZR 160
MGF 160 post 2001
MG TF 160
Rover BRM
Elise 111s

That's all I can think of :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Mention was made of the N Series engine today too. Slot-compatible?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:22 pm

campbell wrote:Mention was made of the N Series engine today too. Slot-compatible?
Quoted £2K for a standard one with 135 cams, so that's a no go :roll:
Mark MacKenzie

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:32 pm

Ouch. Reliable tho.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:08 pm

wow, you have some luck! :shock:

Hope you get it sorted within budget. Seems a good time to squeeze some more horses in anyway :)

Chris
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:28 pm

:oops:

Right so yesterday I bought a new car/engine..... MG ZR 160+ Genuine 50K miles, history and receipts, sounds quiet for a VVC, 3 owner car in exceptional condition... All sounds good so far, yeah?

I cancelled a night out on Saturday so that I could drive on Sunday but the wife went as it was her pals party, in the morning I needed to get a train down south, wife was worse for wear so I said you just stay and relax I'll leave my company car at the train station, off I went on my merry way...

I arrived at the guys house checked car over battery light was on but car ran sweet, EML was on so it'll need a lambda sensor, no biggie as the car will not be used as is I only want the engine! So we strike a deal he takes me to petrol station, all well, I then go to put air in tyres, all good still and then drop the guy off at home, all still good... About a mile off the A1 the car stops no electrics damn it! Call RAC they pop out (2.5hours later) and inspect Alternator is fecked, not a surprise really.. anyhow they wont move the car as it turns out the MOT ran out last month, arrrgh... I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with a fcuk car they said they'll take it to Edinburgh for £450 using a recovery company :cry: Erm no!

Phone calls to the seller go unanswered, anyway nice RAC chap lends me a battery to get the car to a garage, dump car and get a hotel thinking car will just get fixed in the morning and I'll be on my way... Sitting in the hotel room , wife phones 'you do remember you've left your company car on a single yellow on the Royal Mile?' Fuuuuuck check out of hotel after 20 mins and get next train back to Edinburgh (Home at midnight) abandoning new car in Englandshire til another day :oops: Guy at the garage was actually really sound this morning, is going to pop an alternator on it and hold onto i until I can get back down, he even gave me a list of evenings he'd meet with me on to get it collected.. Bit of a sh*t day but looking back, it's not all that bad..

So now I have a donor with a new alternator if anyone needs an alternator with 200 miles on it I'm your man :lol: That said the car is very clean for a ZR so might MOT it and advertise it and take the profit if it sells if it doesn't I have a low mile 160 VVC to chuck into my car Win,win!!.
Mark MacKenzie

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 am

mwmackenzie wrote::oops:

Right so yesterday I bought a new car/engine..... MG ZR 160+ Genuine 50K miles, history and receipts, sounds quiet for a VVC, 3 owner car in exceptional condition... All sounds good so far, yeah?

I cancelled a night out on Saturday so that I could drive on Sunday but the wife went as it was her pals party, in the morning I needed to get a train down south, wife was worse for wear so I said you just stay and relax I'll leave my company car at the train station, off I went on my merry way...

I arrived at the guys house checked car over battery light was on but car ran sweet, EML was on so it'll need a lambda sensor, no biggie as the car will not be used as is I only want the engine! So we strike a deal he takes me to petrol station, all well, I then go to put air in tyres, all good still and then drop the guy off at home, all still good... About a mile off the A1 the car stops no electrics damn it! Call RAC they pop out (2.5hours later) and inspect Alternator is fecked, not a surprise really.. anyhow they wont move the car as it turns out the MOT ran out last month, arrrgh... I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with a fcuk car they said they'll take it to Edinburgh for £450 using a recovery company :cry: Erm no!

Phone calls to the seller go unanswered, anyway nice RAC chap lends me a battery to get the car to a garage, dump car and get a hotel thinking car will just get fixed in the morning and I'll be on my way... Sitting in the hotel room , wife phones 'you do remember you've left your company car on a single yellow on the Royal Mile?' Fuuuuuck check out of hotel after 20 mins and get next train back to Edinburgh (Home at midnight) abandoning new car in Englandshire til another day :oops: Guy at the garage was actually really sound this morning, is going to pop an alternator on it and hold onto i until I can get back down, he even gave me a list of evenings he'd meet with me on to get it collected.. Bit of a sh*t day but looking back, it's not all that bad..

So now I have a donor with a new alternator if anyone needs an alternator with 200 miles on it I'm your man :lol: That said the car is very clean for a ZR so might MOT it and advertise it and take the profit if it sells if it doesn't I have a low mile 160 VVC to chuck into my car Win,win!!.
Maybe cars just aren't for us.

Kias come with a seven year warranty.,

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

woody

Post by woody » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:28 am

Umm, you know the loom in the ZR is different? I gave Steve Weedgie (who has a working 160vvc installed) the loom from the TF I had.

UncleRon

Post by UncleRon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:13 am

Hope this one turns out to be a good one Mark!

If you are planning to drive it up the road from England would it maybe be worth getting the Garage to MOT it while it's in there Mark to avoid any potential real hassles if anything else breaks or worse on the way home and your then more likely to get caught driving with no MOT hence uninsured and untaxed....

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:50 am

The joys of Lotus ownership.

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

istoo

Post by istoo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:06 pm

sounds like much of my good luck car buying history also!
Hope you get it sorted out, keep posting as a fellow 111s owner this is a pain i hope i never have... no laughter please ;)
S2 111s

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:11 pm

woody wrote:Umm, you know the loom in the ZR is different? I gave Steve Weedgie (who has a working 160vvc installed) the loom from the TF I had.
The ZR has a loom, the only thing is I need to splice some wires as I still need the lotus ECU to run the dash but the ZR ecu and loom will work apparently? SELOC has a good post on the conversion, doesn't seem to complex in an S2, S1 is trickier I believe, or I could use a lotus S2 111s ECU, but they're thin on the ground these days :(
Last edited by mwmackenzie on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark MacKenzie

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:13 pm

UncleRon wrote:Hope this one turns out to be a good one Mark!

If you are planning to drive it up the road from England would it maybe be worth getting the Garage to MOT it while it's in there Mark to avoid any potential real hassles if anything else breaks or worse on the way home and your then more likely to get caught driving with no MOT hence uninsured and untaxed....
Needs a lambda sensor.. for MOT so might just do that and avertise it for sale over Christmas as it's a nice clean low miles low owner car and if nobody pays what I want for it I'll just use the engine in the spring... :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

woody

Post by woody » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:27 pm

mwmackenzie wrote:
woody wrote:Umm, you know the loom in the ZR is different? I gave Steve Weedgie (who has a working 160vvc installed) the loom from the TF I had.
The ZR has a loom, the only thing is I need to splice some wires as I still need the lotus ECU to run the dash but the ZR ecu and loom will work apparently? SELOC has a good post on the conversion, doesn't seem to complex in an S2, S1 is trickier I believe, or I could use a lotus S2 111s ECU, but they're thin on the ground these days :(
The ZR loom is different from the TF one. SW couldn't get the ZR one to work, hence he got my TF loom at short notice. I then got a replacement TF loom, which robin may still have along with the TF ecu.

Believe the non-vvc/vvc 160 ecu is the same in S2 lotus and can be flashed? Sure I remember reading somewhere that someone had had that done after bricking their Lotus vvc ecu. I have a 160 VVC cat sitting you can have FOC (they're a bit freer flowing apparently).

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Nice one woody, great info mate... I dodged an MGF as getting the engine out looked a ballache? :oops: Thanks, cat would be great mate!

So I need to ebay an MGF 160 loom?

All help and advice is gratefully welcomed on this thread guys! :cheers
Mark MacKenzie