Dead K Series

The place to "speak geek"
mwmackenzie

Re: Dead K Series

Post by mwmackenzie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Scuffers wrote:
mwmackenzie wrote:
Scuffers wrote:
Craig said there is a bit of piston missing from a camera inspection :oops: My guess is that's what closed the plug? Gutted as it was running so well up until then!
missed that, yes, very possible...

if that is the case, you have to look at different root cause, piston breakup has limited causes.
Scuffers, the cause was clearly luck, bad luck at that lol.. The fact that I own the car is enough for all sorts to go wrong.. mystical stuff like the cam crank bending and herring bone sticking can cause punctures all due to the car being in my cursed care.. If you look though my posts you'll see I'm not the luckiest chap on here :lol:
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Shug wrote:
istoo wrote:my 111s behaved near the same. coils fixed it for a bit but then it came back.. replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and its been brand new ever since.

edit... touchwood
Coil pack and TPS fixed a cracked piston? Good skills :damnfunny :mrgreen:
I think he may have read my FB post stating issues and suspected coil pack failure, that's what I thought it was until Craig found a closed plug and stuck a camera down it :oops:
Mark MacKenzie

Shug

Post by Shug » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:24 pm

mwmackenzie wrote:
Shug wrote:
istoo wrote:my 111s behaved near the same. coils fixed it for a bit but then it came back.. replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and its been brand new ever since.

edit... touchwood
I think he may have read my FB post stating issues and suspected coil pack failure, that's what I thought it was until Craig found a closed plug and stuck a camera down it :oops:
Yeah - I'm joking. Hence multiple smilies :thumbsup
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

istoo

Post by istoo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Shug wrote:

edit... touchwood
Not my skills, CMC diagnosed and fixed it.
S2 111s

istoo

Post by istoo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:10 am

mwmackenzie, following this with close attention, I have K series paranoia... I often thought about buying a MGF TF for spare engine, what options are available to you at this point in time.
S2 111s

captain

Post by captain » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:49 am

DVA a standard k-series... cams, headwork, big valves, ITB's. 180-ish bhp, original fitment, cheaper than a honda...

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:12 pm

captain wrote:DVA a standard k-series... cams, headwork, big valves, ITB's. 180-ish bhp, original fitment, cheaper than a honda...
The above is a substantial outlay... My preferred option is 160VVC engine, 270 exhaust cam, off set dowells in VVC cams, a KMaps remap, 4-2-1 manifold, de-cat, Larinni back box and a lightweight flywheel on my CR box. That should make for a lively little bugger.... but budget is what's killing me as our 320d spat out all it's oil yesterday too :( time will only tell where it all leads :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:20 pm

istoo wrote:mwmackenzie, following this with close attention, I have K series paranoia... I often thought about buying a MGF TF for spare engine, what options are available to you at this point in time.
At this moment I have just got standard options which would be very reliable, DDtB is looking to see if he has and salvageable goodies, I'm hunting down a 160 engine but not finding any reasonably priced will also need an S2 111s ECU and engine loom to make it plug and play... was offered a new '150 mile' engine for £2K which I'll not be taking, simply can't afford it and Iain Leslie has very kindly offered me his engine at a decent price too! Very unsure what to do I know what I want to do but it's not the sensible option... sensible would be reliable though... aaaarrrrrgggghhhh! :scratch
Mark MacKenzie

hilow

Post by hilow » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Put it to bed for the winter and save up or have a christmas wish list or sell.

hiscot

Post by hiscot » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:54 am

tut wrote:Good car for a young lassie though especially at that price.

Clare had one and really liked it.

tut
We have had a few , think cheap roadster not sportscar and they are not that bad
Last edited by hiscot on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

hiscot

Post by hiscot » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:58 am

mwmackenzie wrote:
istoo wrote:mwmackenzie, following this with close attention, I have K series paranoia... I often thought about buying a MGF TF for spare engine, what options are available to you at this point in time.
At this moment I have just got standard options which would be very reliable, DDtB is looking to see if he has and salvageable goodies, I'm hunting down a 160 engine but not finding any reasonably priced will also need an S2 111s ECU and engine loom to make it plug and play... was offered a new '150 mile' engine for £2K which I'll not be taking, simply can't afford it and Iain Leslie has very kindly offered me his engine at a decent price too! Very unsure what to do I know what I want to do but it's not the sensible option... sensible would be reliable though... aaaarrrrrgggghhhh! :scratch
Don't rule out the 135 , plenty about ! And they go well enough IMO
bob

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:05 am

hiscot wrote:
:thumbsup
Most 135s have nearer to 145 bhp..... not sure if all 160s achieved as much as 160...
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Shug

Post by Shug » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 am

Dominic wrote:
hiscot wrote:
Most 135s have nearer to 145 bhp..... not sure if all 160s achieved as much as 160...
Yep, but Marks' talking about MG TF160 VVCs, which aren't anything to do with the Lotus sport 160s.

The VVC in the back of the old Shugmobile dynoed at 189bhp (after I sold it) with a good exhaust and TBs and some very light port matching (the engine hadn't been opened), so the VVCs give good power and a good spread. I'd have another one, rather than a big valved ported standard K - which may have given a slightly higher peak, but nowhere near the spread of usable power.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:14 am

Shug wrote:
Dominic wrote:
hiscot wrote:
Yep, but Marks' talking about MG TF160 VVCs, which aren't anything to do with the Lotus sport 160s.

The VVC in the back of the old Shugmobile dynoed at 189bhp (after I sold it) with a good exhaust and TBs and some very light port matching (the engine hadn't been opened), so the VVCs give good power and a good spread. I'd have another one, rather than a big valved ported standard K - which may have given a slightly higher peak, but nowhere near the spread of usable power.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

istoo

Post by istoo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:55 pm

What production cars came with the VVC?
MGF TF, S2 111s, inseem t think there was a Rover/MG 25 shape that had that engine with a. Red grille...

I.e. How many VVC engines are likely to be still kicking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2 111s