2nd fan for S1

The place to "speak geek"
Kinger

2nd fan for S1

Post by Kinger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:25 pm

I'm currently thing about fitting a second fan to the S1 that I could activate from a dash mounted switch.

Although I'm happy enough on the mechanical side, removing the clam (which shouldn't be too hard as it was off last year for a new radiator) and removing the radiator etc. The problem is I don't have a clue on the electrical side, fitting a relay etc and wiring up the switch etc. I was wondering if any of the North East SE'rs could assist with the electrical side or send me an idiots guide to do it.

Any assistance welcome.

Cheers

Graham

Stu160

Re: 2nd fan for S1

Post by Stu160 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 am

I fitted a second, manually operated fan , into the might VX, and it was great, works much better on the the cool down after a track session, and also worked in the south of France on Frolic for keeping temp down, as I had it running all the time. We'll work it.

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Craig modified mine on N3 white to work automatically or manually by a dashboard switch. Problem is in Scotland and me not commuting, the fan could never come on which results in it seizing over time.

However because of the CC I have two fans anyway.

tut

r10crw

Post by r10crw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Do you want a second or just the ability to activate the first? Quite easy to do, all you need is an earth line to the relay control side.

I can easy do this for you or show you which wire?
Hairdresser at heart.

UncleRon

Post by UncleRon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 pm

I fitted a separate simple manual circuit and relay for the second cooling fan I fitted to my S1 a few years ago now - Your welcome to see the wiring at the SIDC day in March if you don't have yours fitted by then.

I control the second fan with a separate ex Peugeot 205 rear demister switch installed into the spare slot in the Elise S1 dash which matches the standard light & fog switches and this makes it quite an easy & tidy install and the switches are pretty cheap on the net. I remember discussing this with Kiwi Rog when he did my head and this was a highly recommended mod to try and reduce residual heat in the engine / head after a hard track session.

With Kiwi Rog KR1 heads fitted Rog is also now recommending fitting a second manually or timer controlled Davies Craig EWP 80 electric water pump to work for say 5 mins in conjunction with the second fan after a good track session as Rog reckons a number of heads have been damaged / weakened by the residual heat that 'fries the head' if the KR1 engines are just switched off and left straight after a hard track session. I have now sourced the recommended pump and plumbing for my S1 and am just trying to work out whether to install the pump under the PRRT unit in the engine compartment or up beside the radiator where the wiring for it would be easy with the electric pump being so close to the 2nd fan. Choices, choices.....

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm

From their first track day, drivers with a K should leave the engine running for a short period, boot open, handbrake off, wedge under the wheel(carry one with you).

tut

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Craig / Ron,

Thanks for your offer's of help, much appreciated. What I'll do is have a look at Ron's set up when at Knockhil to see if I can do the electrics myself.

If I find I'm not sure I'll give you a shout Craig for assistance.

Thanks and again

Graham