Battery light permanently on - S2 K-series

The place to "speak geek"
tut
Barefoot Ninja

Re: Battery light permanently on - S2 K-series

Post by tut » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Ron's Denso looks the best bet Iain, however he has an S1. As Scuffers says they are nearly all made in China anyway, so OEM prices are a rip off.

However you need to get past this postage to Highlands and Islands which your Post Code comes under, some of the twats believe it starts at Perth.

tut

timmsky

Post by timmsky » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks tut, yeah the Denso one has the nut connections whereas mine looks like the 2-pin plug so I'll need to go for the other one. I have a mate in the NE of Englandshire who can accept deliveries for me and post on. At least he knows the Highlands has a decent delivery network and paved roads...

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:05 pm

OK Iain, if you have not ordered yet give me till the morning to make a phone call.

tut

UncleRon

Post by UncleRon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

If your car is a 2 pin plug then you definitely have less options and Tut's Chinese one looks a good bet especially if you can see yourself selling the car in the next couple of years.

It's not the nicest of jobs and I am far from convinced on the longetivity of Chinese stuff so if the car is a keeper I might be tempted so spend around the £150 mark with cash back on the returned unit for this Bosch one ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-GROUP-M ... SwAuZX7H9t

Choices, choices.........

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:23 pm

tut wrote:Ron's Denso looks the best bet Iain, however he has an S1. As Scuffers says they are nearly all made in China anyway, so OEM prices are a rip off.

However you need to get past this postage to Highlands and Islands which your Post Code comes under, some of the twats believe it starts at Perth.

tut
I buy dielectric fluid from a company in Wales thru work and I am classed as highlands in Ayrshire.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

whaleys

Post by whaleys » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am

It's quite often the voltage regulator (that failed twice while I had my car) if you are able to get a replacement regulator that may be cheaper. It's the plastic part that has the two pin plug that is screwed to the alternator.

Graeme

whaleys

Post by whaleys » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am

You should check part numbers and test the existing regulator but its this sort of thing you'd be after:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-25-45-4 ... SwB4NWu4PR

timmsky

Post by timmsky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks to all, went for an 80 quid unit with warranty, what a pig of a job, not complicated but with spade-like hands it was tight as a nun. Anyway, the new unit is on, battery light is off again and after a run today the battery is holding charge nicely. Time was you could get alternators on an exchange basis as folk would repair them. Seems I'm living in the past on that one though!

New brake pads next, decat pipe, trophy TB and a Hurricane. I'll get back to the spec of my old 135R yet :D