Weird vacuum/pressure ball in o/s wheel arch - S2 K series

The place to "speak geek"
timmsky

Weird vacuum/pressure ball in o/s wheel arch - S2 K series

Post by timmsky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:30 pm

As the title says, whilst changing the alternator (what a faff on, don't get me started) came across this weird plastic ball that appears to be a vacuum/pressure collector/regulator perhaps? Anyway the 2 red silicone hoses that should be attached to it weren't. So I attached them. All was fine until I finished the alternator replacement (I said don't get me started :cry: ) and although the car would start and run, after she was warmed up and I ran her down the road a couple of miles, she kept cutting put on idle. Popped the lid, took the 2 hoses off with a "psshhhtt" like vacuum releasing, and hey presto tickover resumed quite happily.

Should I be bothered/concerned or just leave the pipes disconnected and out of the way. Is this ball emissions related?

Thanks for any help :thumbsup

alicrozier

Re: Weird vacuum/pressure ball in o/s wheel arch - S2 K seri

Post by alicrozier » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TB ... 0&ST=&SC=0

For flapping your exhaust...

Not sure why it would cause stalling if properly connected, IACV issues too?
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

DJ

Post by DJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Yes, it's for the flap for the 2nd exhaust pipe on the standard lotus exhaust. Not needed if you have an aftermarket exhaust.
'03 Elise 111S - Sold :(
'55 Boxster S - Sold :(
'08 Exige S 240PP - Sold :(
'10 Evora NA - Sold :(
'12 Cayman R :)

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Its a vacuum reserviour. It's likely to be connected to your inlet manifold so the pipes should not just be left loose they should be blocked or you'll be bleeding air into the inlet which will affect the idle. If it does cut out when they are blocked then perhaps the car has been setup to idle with this air included in the equation?

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm

I trust your car is a 111s VVC, if so it's as stated above, opens the valve on the drivers side exhaust tail pipe :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec