Gear linkage and light switches

The place to "speak geek"
mainsy

Gear linkage and light switches

Post by mainsy » Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm

The gear change is gradually getting more sloppy so I'm going to fit the eliseparts linkage kit. I was also going to fit the short shifter while I was at it. I've been doing some reading on this and some suggest that doing both can make it feel a bit stiff.
Has anyone done both and found the same, or is it a huge improvement?

Also my fog light button is stuck in, and I can't seem to find a replacement. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction :)

Shug

Re: Gear linkage and light switches

Post by Shug » Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 am

Takes a bit of finessing. If it's stiff, it's potentially because you've tightened up the bolts at the gearbox end too tight, or there's drag in your cables. Ideally, if looking for perfection, change the cables too as the drag in these as they get older only magnifies the issues you can get with the shortshift making things too stiff and notchy.

I loved the short shift in mine, but it was an acquired taste (and probably just refreshing after the stirring porridge experience that the standard setup became.)

Fog lights are a generic 90's Peugeot hazard light switch with a different graphic. If you're careful, you can remove the button from the mechanism to keep the fog light graphic. Probably also available as a fog light switch off something Pug, but they used them for the hazards for many years on many cars...
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri May 12, 2017 4:29 pm

What he says. Its's also recommended to wrap the switches with insulating tape to stop the dust getting in. I understand that that is what kills them. You may be able to clean it if it is the dust.
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

mainsy

Post by mainsy » Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks Shug, that's good to know.
I'm going to have a go this weekend.

I'm thinking some WD-40 for the switches to clean out the dust.

mainsy

Post by mainsy » Sun May 14, 2017 10:24 pm

All went to plan, linkage and short shifter went in relatively easily. Biggest job was removing and putting back on the undertray. So I've ordered a full set of fasteners as they were pretty knackered.

Went a long run tonight and the gearchange is lovely, it really transforms the drive experience.
Very pleased with the out come, thanks for the help