SIDC 14th May

Strictly for tarmac whores
StiflerMR2

Re: SIDC 14th May

Post by StiflerMR2 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:25 am

Jeez, you guys make it look so effortless! I will need to get tips from you all next time!

Here's a quick video of me trying to keep up with Ferg who's Exige sounded awesome (it also looks like I turn in too early for just about every corner as well).

He kindly let me past going into the haripin, but by the exit it was clear I didn't have the puff up the straight :damnfunny Many thanks for taking me out in it as well Ferg. The S1 Exige is on the list of cars I'd love to own and that was the first time I've ever been out in one.

Brilliant day all in all, many thanks again John.

Watch on YouTube

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Mon May 16, 2016 10:21 am

:thumbsup Nice vid Mark. I don't think there was any 'trying' about it, well pedalled. :) I think I need to revise my lines rather than the other way round.

I then got a mirror full of Mr Robson and have to say I really fancied pushing on bit and trying to learn from his lines but my inner sensible control (read 'empty wallet') said the car had had enough for that outing. All in all a good day and the car survived. Brilliant fun going round with Richard (evoman) and his S1 too. Good day all round :thumbsup

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Mon May 16, 2016 11:57 am

Ferg wrote::thumbsup Nice vid Mark. I don't think there was any 'trying' about it, well pedalled. :) I think I need to revise my lines rather than the other way round.

I then got a mirror full of Mr Robson and have to say I really fancied pushing on bit and trying to learn from his lines but my inner sensible control (read 'empty wallet') said the car had had enough for that outing. All in all a good day and the car survived. Brilliant fun going round with Richard (evoman) and his S1 too. Good day all round :thumbsup
What I mainly take from the day is what a jolly good bunch of folk you all are - all clearly slightly mad doing track days but its a great way to spend a day :)

It's been so long since I was last on track and in a completely different car so this was really just meant to be a little play with the handling of the Exige. I also discovered Goodyear Excellence tyres at the rear excel at generating varying degrees of slip angle quite readily... ! I think I would have had more confidence to really explore the handling ability of the Lotus with 'proper' tyres. So although I said I would only do one track day in the wee Exige, I may try another with tyres more befitting the car in the future.

Having been away from doing track days for so long it was great to get a run in Doug's Exige S - I learnt a lot and realised earlier turn in to corners helps 'straighten' the line through it whereas I think I was adopting a more 4 wheel drive turbo car approach of chuck it in. The initial two laps in Doug's Exige S had me wondering whether I would pass out, throw up or have a minor heart attack. Once adjusted to the G-forces and speed I loved it, brilliant driving, fantastic handling car and what a noise!

Great to meet a bunch of like minded adrenaline junkies :lol:

Rich

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Great to see not 1 but 2 S1 Exiges being used on track, couldn't help but take a picture :)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Mon May 16, 2016 8:43 pm

StiflerMR2 wrote: (it also looks like I turn in too early for just about every corner as well).
/Armchair critic ...

What makes you think you're turning in too soon? It's years since I've driven KH, but didn't look bad to me. I wonder if you're causing a bit of understeer in the tighter corners. Around 0.28ish when close to ferg and 3.35ish when you're trying to catch the donkey it looks as though the car understeers quite a bit - but hard to say really from here. Normally you would expect the car to straighten as you unwind the lock, but in fact the first 1/4 lock approx appears to have little effect (implying that the car is understeering, to me).

If there's time to be had, it will be on the brakes - brake harder at your current braking points, surprise yourself that you've nearly stopped the car 10m before the corner, then push the braking points a little deeper and continue to brake with the same force until it starts to all get a bit hectic, then leave it at that for a while.

Also try to keep a clear divide between braking, turning in, acceleration - you can turn in on the brakes, but don't overdo that or you will just understeer. Let the car rotate without any throttle input (as this will also cause understeer), then once the car has "settled into the corner", feed in the throttle. If you rush the throttle you'll cause understeer and this makes you think you've hit the limit of turn in, but it's not true.

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks for the observations and feedback Robin, anything that can help me improve is always welcomed!

I think I do perhaps have a tendency to get on the throttle too early, most likely in response to recognising that I was a little slow in terms of apex speed.

The reason I thought I may be turning in too early is that it appears I use too much exit kerb, at least comparatively.

I'll experiment with moving breaking points forward a little next time out and see if yields and increased apex speed and better exit line :)

Sadly not back on track until Croft with LoT and I still have a lot to learn about that track :)

Many thanks for the pointers.

-mark.

rickyzero

Post by rickyzero » Tue May 17, 2016 12:59 pm

rossybee wrote:Special mention from me, the Gulf blue Exige V6 (Doug?) looked and sounded effing ace 8)
Does anyone know the spec of this car? It really did sound incredible!
Lotus Evora Sport 410

http://www.Guitar.co.uk

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm

rickyzero wrote:
rossybee wrote:Special mention from me, the Gulf blue Exige V6 (Doug?) looked and sounded effing ace 8)
Does anyone know the spec of this car? It really did sound incredible!
Other than the 2bular exhaust I think the main modification is a 6'2" bloke with a love of full throttle and a bucket full of talent. :thumbsup

DougT

Post by DougT » Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments about the car and the noise it makes!

2bular deserve all the credit for the sound. Everything is standard except for their trackday system. Would like to add a Komo-tec induction system at some point but it's way too loud for most tracks already.

Had great fun on Saturday, hope pax rides not too scary, but thought I should put on a good show.

Not sure about talent, but do enjoy a bit of full throttle[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Your car is too loud ... it kept waking me up once a minute :-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut