Rev Limits - Knockhill Track Day - 30th June 2016

Strictly for tarmac whores
mckeann

Re: Rev Limits - Knockhill Track Day - 30th June 2016

Post by mckeann » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:53 pm

SAJ wrote:
Shug wrote:
SAJ wrote:Pictures are up here: https://www.facebook.com/revlimits1/pho ... 2190276534

Ultimas were going well all night - absolute beasts!

I was using Harry's laptimer app which seems to work very well, no ned to start or stop it. It just did it all by itself. Highly recommended.
And of course, you never looked at times until well after the event, right? As should be pointed out in the briefings, lap timings on the night go against the track's insurance for a trackday. Certainly always used to be the case.

But we know that you don't look at the laptimes on the night :thumbsup
:shock: My bad - God's honest truth I was fairly attentive during the briefing as it was my first time and I heard no mention of that, but Ross and Mark can let me know if I wasn't listening hard enough. I was using the app to record the video which was fixed to my car but I'll know for next time. But yes only reviewed everything at the end of he night my focus was trying to get my lines and braking right more than anything.
I wouldnt worry about it too much SAJ, i do A LOT of bike trackdays with the same rules, and the organisers and circuits are quite happy for people to run laptimers on the bikes with a bit of gaffa tape over the screen so you cannot see it as you are lapping. Totally ok to look at it on the day or night or between sessions.

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:54 pm

My son was on the pit wall with his lap timer on his phone, not accurate to the millisecond I know and he only told me when we got home so no I wasn't trying to improve my times lap on lap. He only timed about 8 laps towards the end when I was tired so he deffo missed my best ones lol, must have been some 1:02's in there :damnfunny Not..... :lol: :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Andy G wrote:
Some great cars tonight and top etiquette. The silver S2 was stunning (wish I had an S2)! Only thing that I thought was dodgy was some of the cool down laps.

There were no cool down laps... I scalped a couple of GTR's, a Mclaren and a lambo in my K-Series S2 though! :thumbsup
Last edited by mwmackenzie on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

Shug

Post by Shug » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Yeah - for clarity, I wasn't wagging a finger or saying "you done bad" or any such nonsense - just being aware that their rules say one thing, which means its best to keep the appearance of not timing.

Pretty much everyone does it in one way or another and as Ape says. If you've not got a big bold display in your eye-line that you're driving to, nobody gives a toss. It's insurance rubbish to differentiate a trackday from a test day.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:48 pm

SAJ wrote:Ross, was really good to meet you tod

@Andy - I was really hoping to say hi but never managed to find you when you were out of the car. Hopefully next time as I could do with a few pointers from someone that knows what they're doing.
Welcome to come along on the 14th mate. Also welcome to ask any of the crew from last night if they fancy it. I was frantic between the 911 turbo and the Elise I was lapping for about 9/10ths of the session.

One thing worth noting is when the guys are cooling down, they need to stay safe doing so. Some slowed down way too much and in dangerous sections . Literally all you need to do on a. Cool down lap is lap at about 6/10ths of your usual pace and not hammer the brakes or throttle. Otherwise people end up having to pass slow cars in tricky situations.

Just back from Croft and shattered
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

a4drk

Post by a4drk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Croft was a great day. Kenny gave me a dozen pax laps in the zenos. Awesome car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two negatives make a positive but only in Scotland do two positives make a negative - 'Aye right.'

S2 Exige
BMW 435d M Sport - 375bhp..... and stops now (big brakes!😁)
Work Horse - Ford Transit - Full of crap spec....... 170bhp one :-)

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:24 pm

Andy G wrote: One thing worth noting is when the guys are cooling down, they need to stay safe doing so. Some slowed down way too much and in dangerous sections . Literally all you need to do on a. Cool down lap is lap at about 6/10ths of your usual pace and not hammer the brakes or throttle. Otherwise people end up having to pass slow cars in tricky situations
This ^ (Saj I know you had issues so not relevant for you) all you need to do is lift 100 yds early, coast and brake soft. I was once told by one of the boys in the legends championship that apex and corner exit speed was often quicker on cool down laps....
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

SAJ

Post by SAJ » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Andy G wrote:
SAJ wrote:Ross, was really good to meet you tod

@Andy - I was really hoping to say hi but never managed to find you when you were out of the car. Hopefully next time as I could do with a few pointers from someone that knows what they're doing.
Welcome to come along on the 14th mate. Also welcome to ask any of the crew from last night if they fancy it. I was frantic between the 911 turbo and the Elise I was lapping for about 9/10ths of the session.

One thing worth noting is when the guys are cooling down, they need to stay safe doing so. Some slowed down way too much and in dangerous sections . Literally all you need to do on a. Cool down lap is lap at about 6/10ths of your usual pace and not hammer the brakes or throttle. Otherwise people end up having to pass slow cars in tricky situations.

Just back from Croft and shattered
rawsco wrote:
Andy G wrote: One thing worth noting is when the guys are cooling down, they need to stay safe doing so. Some slowed down way too much and in dangerous sections . Literally all you need to do on a. Cool down lap is lap at about 6/10ths of your usual pace and not hammer the brakes or throttle. Otherwise people end up having to pass slow cars in tricky situations
This ^ (Saj I know you had issues so not relevant for you) all you need to do is lift 100 yds early, coast and brake soft. I was once told by one of the boys in the legends championship that apex and corner exit speed was often quicker on cool down laps....
Appreciate the advice gents. I'll update our guidance sheet ready for the next one.

Andy, few things I need to get sorted on the car mainly why it has started misfiring the way it was and also the traction control light is lighting up on its own accord when I'm pottering about in the car so if I get along on the 14th it'll be just spectating this time.
Facebook: facebook.com/revlimits1
Instagram: @RevLimits

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 pm

All good Saj. Once I have new tyres on it I'll get you out for a pax
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

SAJ

Post by SAJ » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:39 am

Andy G wrote:All good Saj. Once I have new tyres on it I'll get you out for a pax
Look forward to it.
Facebook: facebook.com/revlimits1
Instagram: @RevLimits