Fine writeup. Well done!

I've been at shops with kids all day :-/
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Jam_s160

Re: SIDC - Sat 8th October 2016 - Knockhill

Post by Jam_s160 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:02 pm

campbell wrote:Fine writeup. Well done!

sounds exciting :mrgreen: my shopping consisted of looking at a cup 250 and putting my fingers in my ears and hands over my eyes :idea:

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Lol

Am away home for a drink now

renmure

Post by renmure » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:12 pm

I just turned up to watch.
Looked like a lot of fun and good to see some familiar faces again... and sunshine!! :)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:47 pm

renmure wrote:I just turned up to watch.
Looked like a lot of fun and good to see some familiar faces again... and sunshine!! :)
:withstupid

Your Ultima is stunning! 8)
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

istoo

Post by istoo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Wibble, got home at 2000, home via glenshee. Magic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2 111s

Jam_s160

Post by Jam_s160 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:25 pm

istoo wrote:Wibble, got home at 2000, home via glenshee. Magic!

Oh good effort! Long route home by the sounds of it. Excellent choice

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Afraid I was just happy to make it home before 2pm. only managed one good session on track, but had some good fun with Steve and Jamie really enjoyed it.

It was great to see the sun at Knockhill for a change, just wish I'd seen more of it. The S1 was going so well right up to all its coolant just disappeared. Just need to see if it will be Evora or Elise for the Oulten/ Donny trip now.

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks John for organising this event again. I hope you managed to get a few decent photographs as usual because a few of us were showboating at the hairpin for you after we noticed you trackside.

The morning started good enough with an early 05:00 alarm call and a short drive to meet the others at the pre-arranged rendezvous point at the Asda car park. A little showing off of the V6s exhaust for a few metres under the car park was probably not a good idea after I was notified that there was a handful of people sleeping rough on the tarmac in the next parking section. This 'handful' turned out to be about one hundred people completing a sleep-out for charity for the homeless. :oops: I went over to apologise and the small group that I spoke to replied that they had been awake most of the night and that the spectacle of our cars had intrigued a few of them to where we were heading. I joked that they should be out for more than one night as lying on a self-inflating insulated mat and inside a down filled winter sleeping bag beside a few grocery bags filled with enough food for a week was hardly a hardship. Joking aside, they were raising money for people experiencing harder times and I congratulated them anyhow. Clarky had a narrow escape once he remembered that he had his road bike on top of the car. It was a good job his reactions are sharp from his racing activities as the height restriction barrier would have taken the bike clean off.
The drive down to KH was a slog again, but I will endure it a few times if it means having some of the best roads in the country on my doorstep. Jamie, I congratulate you for taking your roof again for the drive down on a chilly sunrise. It was a good job it was only a passing shower at Portlethen and at least you had a choice with your roof, unlike Brian who was keeping warm in his heated jacket. After completing the usual refuel at Drum we enjoyed a stunning sunrise drive through to KH before signing on and attending the relaxed, but informative track safety briefing.
It amazes me every time the friendliness in the pit lane and general good manners on track. There were a few offs that I seen (not any Lotuses I may add) and two of them which looked like the same car were a bit shocking. The first was on the sighting lap when a car spun off and the second one was later in the morning. The car in question moved over to the inside on the main straight and stayed there (but not really slowing down much) all the way to the first corner. I was on the normal line and was just away to pass them just after the bridge, but backed off when I noticed the speed the car was carrying and its line (which was to stay on the inside the whole way) in to the first corner. I am glad I did stay behind because the cars rear end just spun around while entering Duffus.
I cannot believe that it was so warm yesterday with the sun beating down on track. I was also impressed while talking to Jamie in the pit garages with the KH marshall coming over to apologise to him for allowing a car to exit the pit lane just as Jamie passed the bridge. The same thing happened to me and I remember thinking wtf are you doing putting a car out when I am driving at 120mph :shock:
Thank you to Dominic for coming along to offer the usual SE support again. I also noticed you 'Renmure' in your Ultima as I headed to Drum to refuel late in the morning. Your car looks fantastic on the road and I would love to see it on the track the next time though.
I had a brilliant time on track again getting my money's worth from my rear tyres.Image
It was great fun following Jamie and Kinger around. The V6 is very good but I felt that there was a bit too much roll on a couple of corners. This and the added extra weight of the car compared to earlier models meant I could not get away from the other cars through the twisties. It's probably mostly my driving though, as Stu Pollock and Doug can peddle around much quicker than myself. It feels like I am cheating when you can use the cars extra power to stretch away on the straights around the circuit. It was good trying to follow Mike and a white plus a red Elise around for a few laps. It was only later talking to Mike that I found out it was Andy G and Scott driving the other two cars. No much wonder I could not get near them. :lol:
Thanks to Kinger for the few litres of fuel before he had to depart early for the day. I am glad to hear you got home under your own steam and not on the back of a low-loader. Hopefully you can get the fault fixed before the double-header and its just a simple remedy.
After the mornings session I drove across to get my new rear boots from 'Wheels Around'. Excellent service from Ronnie again and I had a lovely chat with him and his misses while the work was getting done. Nice couple indeed.
Once the work was completed I drove back towards the cafe to see if anyone was still hanging about since the session was over. I spoke briefly to Kevin, Gordon and Brian before deciding in taking the scenic route home after Brian's suggestion. I turned off for Crieff instead of heading up to Perth first and this turned out to be a good decision as we had a great run together. We had a bit of run with two bikers who were out for a blast and enjoying the sunshine too. We travelled across to Crieff, then on to Dunkeld before taking the Glenshee road to Braemar. We stayed together until Echt before Brian peeled off behind me for the final part of the run home. I was getting concerned for the last ten miles and was mostly short-shifting and coasting for this period as my fuel gauge was indicating empty. I managed to make the garage in Elrick which was a relief as I did not fancy walking to the garage carrying the empty fuel can which was located in the boot. I would not have heard the last of it from Kathy if this had happened. The car took £50 to refill this time, when it is usually £40 and I decided to give it a quick jet wash too. I was halfway through when a friend who I had not seen for a while pulled up in their black Range Rover and shouted me over. Once we had finished talking I went back to complete the cleaning and the timer had elapsed. I thought my friend was going to crash on leaving the forecourt as the laughing seemed uncontrollable. I could not be bothered to walk back for another ticket, so just jumped in and drove the few hundred metres home before getting the two buckets out.

As you can see, I am up early today and thanks if you have not been bored reading my drivel. My reason for being awake is that I could still be buzzing from a brilliant day yesterday or the nerves have started before next Saturday's event.

Cheers,

Steve.

Ps, Good luck with jumping off of the Forth Road Bridge today Martin and it's been a pleasure knowing you if they get your weight wrong. :D
Just to rub salt in the wounds, you would have loved yesterday.

If Carlsberg did...............
Last edited by C7Steve on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:00 am

Jam_s160 wrote:
campbell wrote:Fine writeup. Well done!

sounds exciting :mrgreen: my shopping consisted of looking at a cup 250 and putting my fingers in my ears and hands over my eyes :idea:
:lol:

Steve.

ikarl

Post by ikarl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:22 am

Seeing your Ultimate made a great day even better...! Absolutely stunning!

(Guy in the little yellow kitcar :wave )
VX220 s/c
330xd estate

BigD

SIDC - Sat 8th October 2016 - Knockhill

Post by BigD » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:30 am

Wish I'd gone up to see the ultima now.

Sounds like a great day at knockers, no doubt it'll be raining for next weekend since I didn't make it.

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 am

Glad you all enjoyed the day - the weather was a real bonus for this time of year.

I've uploaded a selection of photos here: http://www.flatoutphotography.com/gallery3/2016/SIDC10 and will upload higher res ones to Facebook once it starts behaving again.

Didn't take too many photos at the hairpin, as the sun came out behind the clouds after a few cars, and between the glare off the windscreens and track the photos were coming out rubbish :( The first red flag happened just after I arrived at the hairpin, so took that as a hint to go and grab a hot chocolate and bacon roll :)

I had a few people ask if I was organising any more weekend events this year, but afraid not - our next one will be March next year now. There is another weekend event with TrackScotland in November for a 12-4 session: http://trackscotland.co.uk/booking/inde ... ucts_id=22

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you John for organising another great day, we really were spoiled with the weather.

It was the first time out in the budget elise replacement and I have to day I was quite disappointed. It doesn't help that I loved and knew the elise so well. Hopefully I will get better with this one until I can get another elise.

The car was really nervous on the brakes with fairly big pitches under braking. I lost brakes going into the hairpin so had to bail out and indicate into the pits. Apologies to Kinger for the abrupt line change as he was behind me when my foot went to the floor.

I was over driving for most of the day as well which doesn't help. Apologies if I held anyone up.

Oh, and great pictures as always John :)

campbell

SIDC - Sat 8th October 2016 - Knockhill

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 am

Love this one John. Can't get link to work but maybe you can :-)

http://www.flatoutphotography.com/galle ... 0/KH630696