Oulton & Donny Double header 28/29th October

Strictly for tarmac whores
Stu160

Re: Oulton & Donny Double header 28/29th October

Post by Stu160 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:01 pm

That's a big one Mike, well saved.

What an epic 2 days of track action, lots of fuel and brake pads were used . Oulton was as great as usual, with the perfect weather, wet in the morning, to drying line, to almost full dry at the end of the day, great fun.

I have only done Donnington once, in the Evora, so was a real learning curve today, as the conditions were identical to Oulton. It's a very slippy track when it's damp, but great fun , feathering the throttle everywhere, so much so, that I got 70 miles on a tank, when I normally get 50. When the track dried out, it was a different track, so fast and flowing, with the car moving on every corner, it's so well balanced, and great fun to drive. Had a great couple of runs with Andy late on, really pushing hard, and taking a big deep breath before the Cainer curves every lap.

Where are we going next ?

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Awesome trip, totally knackered now as I got home at 2am.

Perfect trip, each day wet in the morning and dry in the afternoon. Oulten started off great, was out having some real good fun lapping with Ron in the wet but had to abort as temp gauge fluctuating between low 80's then flashing to 115c. We checked everything and re-bled the system but no air. Decide to do the rest of the day shifting at between 4500/5000 rpm. However Doug's laser temp gauge confirmed max under bonnet temp was between mid 80's regardless of temp gauge reading.

Strange thing was the temp only shot seem to shoot up going through both chicanes and Deer's leep then quickly dropped back down.

Decided not to let it bother me at Donnington and just went for it. Unbelievable grip in the dry, but the wet was a different story.

Hope Donny is on the double header again next year.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:07 pm

A spurious indication that has always existed Graham, had it on my K S1's, pity I could not let you know at the time.

tut

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:31 pm

That or your car was equally broken Tut. lol ;)

Great weekend. Oulton was awesome and finally got to drive my car in anger. The resurfaced Druids was much less terrifying. And avoided any black flags even after an initial 111Db noise test :-o
I have a list of things to fix over winter but importantly made it back under its own steam.

Good to see everyone and great that the only casualty was Eds bro after the Chinese! :D

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Sounds great Ferg!
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

UncleRon

Post by UncleRon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Awesome weekend and another great end of year double header!

Oulton was great to do in both the wet and the dry - The chicane before the hill up to druids seemed pretty slippery until bone dry but druids felt grippier now even when wet after resurfacing and Oulton is definitely one of my favourite UK tracks....

Thanks Andy too for convincing me to go to Donny and letting me go on as a second driver on the 211 - Another good circuit with some balsy fast flowing curves round the back section which took a bit of learning on the day before I could go flat out round them but these were brilliant - Bit less fussed about the additional section which just seemed to add on a race to a hairpin & back again but another good circuit I would definitely like to go back too.

The new K series engine swap I did over the winter to my S1 seems to have gone pretty well too - Nice not to be using a litre of oil every track day anymore!

I agree with Stu - Where next!

Simon82

Post by Simon82 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 am

Sounds like it was a great couple of days, hopefully will get to make them next year.... :roll:

When and where is the 2017 season opener?!
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2019 Porsche 718 GT4
2018 VW Transporter T6 (bike shed :) )

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:23 pm

well gents that was epic!

Thursday I headed down towing with Baz in convoy. Out for dinner, then met the boys (great to see the Paine brothers back in action (Ed, Tom & Barney!)

A cracking day at Oulton, starting in the rain (which helped me ease the 211 in through some miles on low revs) things got better and better and by early afternoon we had a dry line. Those of you that remember the circuit from 3+ years ago would be amazed at the surface grip through druids, which was really fast 90+ in the afternoon (mid corner). Some great driving by everyone, and another reminder that LOT really do provide first class trackdays. 211 got better as the miles went on and revs increased. First class facility, day and company.

The trip to Donny made for some rapid trailering and by 730pm we were in the bar , taxi ordered and curry house booked. A great night followed.

Sat morning was damp and rainy, and as those of you that have been there in the damp will be aware its very slippy!

After initially going sideways everywhere decided to check the tyre pressures - front 39 and rears 36 - oops! Pressure change transformed the car (A048s) and had a riot in that and also driving Baz's 111r (sideways everywhere). Some interesting metal on track, highlights being a 488 Challenge car and a Gt3RS.

Jamie Stanley was there, and following him in a Caterham race car soon "found me a set" and craners was flat (127 in to the limiter in 4th later on).

I got my second blag flag for noise which saw a temp suspension, after some laps chasing Stu and vice versa. The V6 was killing me on the straights, and having to lift on the start finish straight meant I spent the rest of the lap balls out trying to catch up!

Stu and i discussed the straight line speed and then adjusted the rear wing 2 notches......result, more than 10mph quicker on the straight! Couldn't believe it.

As the light started to fade, play came to a close, and the trailer was loaded. 4 hours later, including a quick dinner stop, Baz and I made it back, and for the first trip i can remember in a while not one car was recovered or broken.

Superb fun.

2017 season opener? Who said 2016 was dead? :mrgreen: :cheers
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:15 am

Couple of vids from Friday.

First following Ron for a few laps while it was still pretty slippy.

Watch on YouTube

And then in the dry with Matt and his 996 later. Great fun. :D

Watch on YouTube

a4drk

Post by a4drk » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:12 am

Ferg,
have you got the rear view clip of me following you ?

David
Two negatives make a positive but only in Scotland do two positives make a negative - 'Aye right.'

S2 Exige
BMW 435d M Sport - 375bhp..... and stops now (big brakes!😁)
Work Horse - Ford Transit - Full of crap spec....... 170bhp one :-)

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:38 am

a4drk wrote:Ferg,
have you got the rear view clip of me following you ?

David
Yep, will sort that out :thumbsup

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:55 am

Nice video, a wee clip of the orange beast in the first one. Uncle Rons S1 was also going well.
you must be chuffed having 2 good days with the car, it looks great on track.

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Cheers Stu. I've got some of you hunting me down too, I'll get the rear footage sorted tonight. I think I'm still in the Standard Elise mindset and jump out the way when something comes up behind rather than making them work a bit more for it as this car is obviously a little faster than the elise and cars don't catch you quite as quickly. Learning curve for sure. :)

Some clear laps in the damp. Nice and slippy in some of the corners :shock: :D

Watch on YouTube

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Great vids Ferg, car sounds great! 8)

Thought I had posted this video....

Watch on Vimeo

Stu, sure I have some footage of you which I will dig out later :thumbsup
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:13 pm

A couple of laps at Donnington after it dried out.

Watch on YouTube