dr color chip *now with pix*

Take good care of her
Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Re: dr color chip *now with pix*

Post by Victor Meldrew » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:43 pm

NOOPS 160 wrote:
Matelotman wrote:
kpb wrote:Kit arrived on Friday , B21 LRG was not of the list but a quick email to them and a reply within two days confirmed they could do the kit.
Ten days later it arrived :D ,I will just have to wait for a chance to do it :( .
The front of the car has 21000mls of chips so lets see if the results are as good as the other pics.
I will do the usual before and after pics.
Cheers
Kinnon
I got the B21 LRG kit - my front has been shot blasted from road runs following folk with sticky tyres. Needless to say it was beyond Dr Colorchip but I was quite impressed with it on the normal chips around the rest of the car....... not sure if I was £60 impressed though.
Ah ha.. this was the post I was looking for.......seems the whole factory couldent supply enough packs to cover my old girl :wink:
What do you need paint chip for... you get duct tape in black now you know...
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

Matelotman

Post by Matelotman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 am

NOOPS 160 wrote:
Matelotman wrote:
kpb wrote:Kit arrived on Friday , B21 LRG was not of the list but a quick email to them and a reply within two days confirmed they could do the kit.
Ten days later it arrived :D ,I will just have to wait for a chance to do it :( .
The front of the car has 21000mls of chips so lets see if the results are as good as the other pics.
I will do the usual before and after pics.
Cheers
Kinnon
I got the B21 LRG kit - my front has been shot blasted from road runs following folk with sticky tyres. Needless to say it was beyond Dr Colorchip but I was quite impressed with it on the normal chips around the rest of the car....... not sure if I was £60 impressed though.
Ah ha.. this was the post I was looking for.......seems the whole factory couldent supply enough packs to cover my old girl :wink:
To be fair, it certainly improved the "white" look from a distance but looks patched from up close..... I just have to accept the fact that the front needs filled and sprayed and just keep using my green colourmagic polish :roll:
Elise S1 B&C 140 - long time ago now

Neil72

Post by Neil72 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:56 pm

A quick update to this thread.

I ordered one of these Dr Color Chip kits a while back and finally got round to trying it on the Vectra at the weekend. I was very disappointed with the results. The paint colour was a poor match, and the liquid supplied for removing the excess paint was next to useless. A total waste of money in my opinion.

However, I done some experimentation with a can of Fluxclene that I had lying around in the garage (pic below) and the results were far more impressive. The Fluxclene was actually so good at removing the paint that I had to allow the paint blobs to cure for longer (24hrs) and come back the next day to remove the excess.

Finished results are nowhere near as good as a respray as has already been pointed out by Mainsy but for the cost of a bog std touch up stick and a can of Fluxclene (about 4 quid), it's certainly worth a try and is far superior to the Dr Color Chip kit IMHO.

mainsy

Post by mainsy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:13 pm

i'm sorry to hear dr colorchip wasn't any good for you. i agree that the removal process could be better but perseverance paid off for me. its quite bad though that you pay all that money and the colour match is rubbish.

i got the tip off from detailing world, and it does get good reviews, so maybe you got a bad batch :roll:

tbh though if you are getting better results with your methods at a fraction of the cost i think i will give it a try next time :thumbsup

Neil72

Post by Neil72 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:06 pm

mainsy wrote: its quite bad though that you pay all that money and the colour match is rubbish.
To be fair, I think it was probably quite a hard colour to match. Even if I had bought a touch up stick from the main dealer it probably wouldn't have been a perfect match but then again it wouldn't have cost me 30 quid either. I have a sneaking feeling that this whole process will maybe work better on non metallic colours.

My biggest gripe was with the bottle of magic paint remover stuff, which didn't seem to want to remove any paint :evil: No such worries with the Fluxclene though :thumbsup

I wouldn't mind trying to attack the paint blobs with a porter cable and some cutting polish. I think this would maybe give better results.

Paolo

Post by Paolo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:29 pm

Neil72 wrote:
mainsy wrote: its quite bad though that you pay all that money and the colour match is rubbish.
To be fair, I think it was probably quite a hard colour to match. Even if I had bought a touch up stick from the main dealer it probably wouldn't have been a perfect match but then again it wouldn't have cost me 30 quid either. I have a sneaking feeling that this whole process will maybe work better on non metallic colours.

My biggest gripe was with the bottle of magic paint remover stuff, which didn't seem to want to remove any paint :evil: No such worries with the Fluxclene though :thumbsup

I wouldn't mind trying to attack the paint blobs with a porter cable and some cutting polish. I think this would maybe give better results.
When you've finished making a mess Neil, give me a shout :wink:

Neil72

Post by Neil72 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Paolo wrote:
Neil72 wrote:

I have mastered, honed and perfected my technique Paul so bring your Lotus round any time and I'll give you a demonstration :twisted:

Paolo

Post by Paolo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Neil72 wrote:
Paolo wrote:
Neil72 wrote: its quite bad though that you pay all that money and the colour match is rubbish.

I have mastered, honed and perfected my technique Paul so bring your Lotus round any time and I'll give you a demonstration :twisted:
Excellent, the inside of my undertray is looking a bit grubby :damnfunny

Neil72

Post by Neil72 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 pm

:lol:

:thumbsup

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:01 pm

Going to give this a go on the Mak...pics look impressive.