"Claying" your paintwork - VERDICT

Take good care of her
Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon May 22, 2006 4:28 pm

Run you hand over my car even when it has a layer of dirt & dust on it and you will think I have had the whole thing resprayed of late as the dirt is instantly transferred to your hand and the paintwork shows up gleaming.

Will take time to do but would not dream of wasting wax on a car that has not been clayed now.
W213 All Terrain

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Mon May 22, 2006 4:28 pm

craigs135s wrote:Think i will go and buy some just now. is it realy that good?? 8)

Cheers
Craig
Yes 8)
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

slg

Post by slg » Mon May 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Remember you can use diluted car shampoo in a spray bottle as a lubricant for the clay bar instead of detailing spray - works out much cheaper aswell :D

Also, split the clay bar up into smaller pieces, if you then drop it you haven't ruined the whole bar.

craigs135s

Post by craigs135s » Mon May 22, 2006 10:12 pm

well i did go and buy some. and for the last 4 hours i have been claying the car. And my god it looks good. it looks like a sheet of ice. 8)

Good call sanjoy :wink:

Cheers
Craig
Europa
S2 Black 111r. Gone
S1 Exige. Gone.
S2 111s. Gone
S1 sport 135s. Gone

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon May 22, 2006 10:27 pm

Just wait till you wax it or go out in the rain.

I think it was ultimately describe by a chap I worked with. "You done something with your car as it normally looks like an ashtray but actually looks like a sports car today", big complement that as he is not very good at talking to real people as he also works in IT.

Does the claying acyually do any harm ?
Clay before every wax application to remove old wax ?
Clay no more than twice per year ?
W213 All Terrain

slg

Post by slg » Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 pm

craigs135s wrote:well i did go and buy some. and for the last 4 hours i have been claying the car. And my god it looks good. it looks like a sheet of ice. 8)

Cheers
Craig
Hope you waxed it afterwards as claying the car takes any polish or wax off and leaves your paint unprotected.

slg

Post by slg » Mon May 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Sanjoy wrote:Just wait till you wax it or go out in the rain.

I think it was ultimately describe by a chap I worked with. "You done something with your car as it normally looks like an ashtray but actually looks like a sports car today", big complement that as he is not very good at talking to real people as he also works in IT.

Does the claying acyually do any harm ?
Clay before every wax application to remove old wax ?
Clay no more than twice per year ?
1) only if you get grit, hard objects embedded in the clay adn you keep wiping it over the car.

2) No, you can layer wax, also provides better protection.

3) Usually clay around March to get rid of winter crap from your paintwork and again in September/October to prepare for winter :)

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Fri May 26, 2006 3:02 am

slg wrote:
craigs135s wrote:well i did go and buy some. and for the last 4 hours i have been claying the car. And my god it looks good. it looks like a sheet of ice. 8)

Cheers
Craig
Hope you waxed it afterwards as claying the car takes any polish or wax off and leaves your paint unprotected.
Well I clayed it and then used a protector coat, didnt use a wax. Read through the polished bliss web site bit and unless I picked it up wrong, you dont always need a wax coat on the car. I will probly try it again with a wax coat before mexi towers to get the shine up more..
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

tenkfeet

Post by tenkfeet » Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 am

I find claying my car is really quick . I can do the whole car in about half an hour thats using megs quick detailer . Today I discovered Clearcote Vanilla Moose wax hand glaze that helps to get the really stubborn marks off. I am dead chuffed how well it came up.

craigs135s

Post by craigs135s » Wed May 31, 2006 9:38 pm

looks very shiny mate 8)

Cheers
Craig
Europa
S2 Black 111r. Gone
S1 Exige. Gone.
S2 111s. Gone
S1 sport 135s. Gone

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Wed May 31, 2006 10:30 pm

Where are all your stone chips!? :?

Scottd

Post by Scottd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Bought Meguiares clay bar + detailer spray today. £11.99 from local boy racer shop, not bad... if a 'bar' means a 'bar of Dairy Milk' :?. Still, I only used half of it and even then there's very little dirt in it, probably because - rear clam is less than a year old, front clam is weeks old and inbetween the paint is a blend of the two.

Washed the car, took some T-Cut to some swirls and scrathes that have appeared on the rear clam since it was in John Martin Group in Perth a few weeks ago :roll: clayed and then waxed. Looks better than ever!!!

I'd been using Meguiars 3 stage thing, 1st strip old wax, 2nd polish then 3rd wax. So I just avoided the first two -time consuming, back breaking- stages and have gotten far better results. Tho to be honest I'd probably spend longer claying next time.

Also bought a fibre mit (£2.99!!) to wash the car instead of a sponge, fook what a difference! :shock: I even ended up washing the interior/dash with it cause instead of just moving the dirt around it collects it all.

If the weathers ok tomorrow an I can think of somewhere nice and near (Dundee) to take the car I'll get some pics up.

scott
S1 50th Ann.

craigs135s

Post by craigs135s » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:05 am

Good stuff scott get some pics up. I only used about a quarter of the bar and it seemed fine.

Cheers
Craig
Europa
S2 Black 111r. Gone
S1 Exige. Gone.
S2 111s. Gone
S1 sport 135s. Gone

GregR

Post by GregR » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:37 pm

you guys 'used' part of the bar? I didn't appreciate the fact it was a consumable... i just kneeded the dirty bit over and clayed with the fresh side.

Typical, can't even make a good job of cleaning the damned thing :D
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

RDH

Post by RDH » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:08 am

GregR wrote:you guys 'used' part of the bar? I didn't appreciate the fact it was a consumable... i just kneeded the dirty bit over and clayed with the fresh side.

Typical, can't even make a good job of cleaning the damned thing :D
I did the same! Seemed to work okay! :shock: