Rusty wheel bolts

Take good care of her
grittle

Rusty wheel bolts

Post by grittle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 pm

I scrubbed the Elise at the weekend until it squeeked (I got a Meguiars polisher for my birthday and I'm very pleased with the result).

The only thing letting it down now are the very rusty wheel bolts. Cleaned them up a bit previously but some of them have had it. I soaked some in Wonder Wheels and that has definitely done them in!

Any ideas? Buy the same again, if so where? Use BMW bolts? Paint them?

Assume it is not an uncommon problem.
Honda Jazz - teenager insurer friendly spec
Audi S4 - petrol station friendly spec
Nissan GTR - unmarked cop car spec
Porsche Boxster S - sunny day spec
Elise 111R - now living in Germany
Caterham SV - now living in Germany (err is there a theme here?)

woody

Re: Rusty wheel bolts

Post by woody » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:16 pm

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Good links Woody.

However...not sure how the longer bolts work, is there clearance inside the thread for them? As for the new hubs, seems like a lorra lolly for a cosmetic prob?

A tin of hammerite is a tenner...although I accept that regular tyre monkey action would chip it all back off. Maybe worth finding out from a shot blasting outfit if the heads could be refurbed and sealed in any way.

The other route is wee plastic caps...I notice our new family wagon seems to have these...you may be able to pick up a set if you get the dimensions right?

OR...just get a fresh set of bolts from Lotus (or better...find out who actually ships the OEM bolts and get them direct).

On the S1, Eliseparts sell a nice set of shiny new nuts...£25 or so inc vat...have had mine for several years and not a mark on them. Not much use to you though I guess :-(
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:50 am

I think the S2 hubs have a thru hole (threaded) so longer bolts would still work irrespective of a spacer - maybe need to check clearance at th back of the hub though.

2nd option is not new hubs, just converts existing threaded hubs to studs and includes wheel nuts (a la S1) to replace the normal S2 wheel bolts. Would make getting wheels on slightly easier as you can sit it on the studs rather than balancing it on the hub while you line up the holes...
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

woody

Post by woody » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 am

alicrozier wrote:I think the S2 hubs have a thru hole (threaded) so longer bolts would still work irrespective of a spacer - maybe need to check clearance at th back of the hub though.

2nd option is not new hubs, just converts existing threaded hubs to studs and includes wheel nuts (a la S1) to replace the normal S2 wheel bolts. Would make getting wheels on slightly easier as you can sit it on the studs rather than balancing it on the hub while you line up the holes...
:withstupid

Kev

Post by Kev » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:16 am

I emailed Eliseparts about using the longer bolts on std wheels, when I was looking to replace mine and they advised me not to use them without spacers.
S2 Elise ST (V6 spec)
Audi A4 Tdi (Shed Spec)
Discovery 3 (Wifes Spec)

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:05 pm

There is always a Lotus Wheel covers to cover the bolts :shock:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/101 ... overs.html

Sorry of no use but bit bored :oops:

DMW
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

grittle

Post by grittle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks but I'll pass on the covers (only beacuse I'd have to buy two sets...) :wink:

Spent far too long last weekend sanding them, treating with kurust stuff and spraying them with chrome paint - £3.50 a tin from Halfrauds. Looks great but truly sad way to spend time not at work.

Went for a run in the car on Sunday though :D
Honda Jazz - teenager insurer friendly spec
Audi S4 - petrol station friendly spec
Nissan GTR - unmarked cop car spec
Porsche Boxster S - sunny day spec
Elise 111R - now living in Germany
Caterham SV - now living in Germany (err is there a theme here?)

stu331

Post by stu331 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Hammerite works Ok but if there's enough room round the bolt to fit a cover then that might be a way to go as shown in the following pics it's my young lads BMW but you get the idea.........and BMW don't supply them they come either from Vauxhall or Volkswagon :roll: .......the bolts shpwn just get post in the holes but with the coversw it just gives that finished look but don't use anything like Megs Wheel brightener as that can dis colour plastic which is what the covers are!

BEFORE

AFTER

Just a thought 8)