Scratch removal product?

Take good care of her
Tommy Twist

Scratch removal product?

Post by Tommy Twist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi folks,

I noticed a couple of light scuffs and scratches on my front and rear NS wings last night (WTF do these things come from?), don't look to have penetrated any deeper than the clear coat.

Could anyone recommend a polishing product that might remove or reduce them? I understand that T-Cut has gone out of fashion... (although I'm not quite sure why).

Many cheers!

tuscan_thunder

Re: Scratch removal product?

Post by tuscan_thunder » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm

if it's just a small area, you will get good results by hand.

I recommend menzerna 203s http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -203s.html with a light cut hand pad: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... cat24.html

T-Cut is out of fashion because it's like liquid sandpaper. The abrasive particles in it are very large and coarse and also very robust: when you work them they just keep cutting and never break down, leading to a slightly hazy finish. It also removes quite a large amount/depth of clearcoat.

Menzerna 203S diminishes: the abrasives start off relatively large and coarse but as you work them, they diminish away, leaving a sharp finish. The inital part is where the bulk of the correction work is done, then you keep working to refine the finish.

:)
Mair throttle, less brake

Tommy Twist

Post by Tommy Twist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give those a try! Is a microfibre cloth OK as a "wipe off" cloth for that stuff?

Thanks also explaining why T-Cut is potentially damaging. You live and learn.

:cheers

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 am

Yes, a clean microfibre will be perfect.

T-Cut 'might' have been ok when it was new but times have moved on massively.
Mair throttle, less brake