Pressure washers, foam lances and paint removal fears!

Take good care of her
Corranga

Pressure washers, foam lances and paint removal fears!

Post by Corranga » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm thinking of getting a pressure washer and a foam lance for prewashing the car, and rinsing.

I am a bit concerned about it taking paint off though. I presume that the foam lance is actually fairly gentle, and providing i'm not an idiot who takes a jet to the car, then i'll likely be ok?
(Is this possibly more of a worry with mine having been resprayed...)

Also, if I do go down this route, I currently use Megs detailer hyper wash, would I also need some sort of foam additive as well, or is this just the stuff?

Chris
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

vxc

Re: Pressure washers, foam lances and paint removal fears!

Post by vxc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 pm

as a user of all the products.....

unless you point the pressure washer lance 1inch from the paint work you should be fine.... the foamer gun is as gentle as a kitten when sleeping

i always stay at around 1m -1.5 away from car with lance
POLO Bluemotion - Mile chomper

tuscan_thunder

Re: Pressure washers, foam lances and paint removal fears!

Post by tuscan_thunder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Corranga wrote:I'm thinking of getting a pressure washer and a foam lance for prewashing the car, and rinsing.

I am a bit concerned about it taking paint off though. I presume that the foam lance is actually fairly gentle, and providing i'm not an idiot who takes a jet to the car, then i'll likely be ok?
(Is this possibly more of a worry with mine having been resprayed...)

Also, if I do go down this route, I currently use Megs detailer hyper wash, would I also need some sort of foam additive as well, or is this just the stuff?

Chris
Avoid edges or anywhere the paint has chipped (just hold the washer lance further away) and just use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Only time I've ever taken paint off was on a 25year old Ford digger, using maximum pressure through my industrial washer with water at 85degrees C.....

The foam lance has a low pressure output - there's next to nothing to worry about with it.

Hyper Wash is a pre-wash foam, the only one we recommend for regular usage. (our foam lances are here..... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... lance.html )
Mair throttle, less brake