G-Techniq Smart Glass

Take good care of her
StiflerMR2

G-Techniq Smart Glass

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:15 pm

I had my old Elise detailed and the chap put something on the windscreen which essentially meant I never had to use the wipers in anything other than monsoon conditions. The water would just bead off when moving and it made wet driving much easier for me (especially on track).

I found this stuff:

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/ex ... art-glass/

Which looks to do a similar thing. Has anyone used it before or have any experiences of it?

TIA 8)

philthy

Re: G-Techniq Smart Glass

Post by philthy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Rain X is similar and probably what was on it before. I thought it was good stuff but needs re applied after every wash obviously
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:36 pm

I use the MER version of this stuff, bit like the old Rain-X but much better.
Once I get over 35-40mph I really don't need to use the wipers unless the rain is very heavy. Biggest problem is remembering to re-apply it as it wears off after a couple of months. I'd be a surprised if the Gtechniq lasts anywhere near as long as they say it will.
Works a treat on my helmet visor too.

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 pm

I thought it might have been that Phil but this stuff lasted for about 4 months before I noticed any deterioration, so I don't think it was rain-x.

Might take a punt on that stuff in any case, looks pretty good.

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Rain-X is good and is now available as a glass cleaner spray rather than the 2-stage concentrate thing they used to sell. Much faster and easier to apply, and IMHO it lasts longer too.

It won't fully survive a wash, I have experienced, but it still has an effect which reduces wiper chatter and smearing even then.

Also the less you use the wipers the longer it lasts.

I also apply it to mirrors and all other windows, including rear. It helps disperse water on the side windows extremely well and they stay cleaner longer too. All good...
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 am

G-Techniq is, in my view, the most overhyped range of products on the market. Some of the range works, but they need careful application: warm, dry environment for 8-12hours to cure properly. The instructions supplied are poor and miss out, in my experience, some key points.

A far, far superior range, in my view, is the Nanolex range. I had one application of Nanolex Premium Glass Sealant on my old GTI and it lasted 9months. It probably lasted longer but I sold the car. The bottle gives about 15 applications so it's pretty good value really despite the high price. It does need cured carefully too but is a bit easier to buff off and less prone to residue/smearing.

Rain-X is, essentially, a similar product, but doesn't last near as long. It is quicker and easier to apply though.
Mair throttle, less brake

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I'll take a look at Nanolex range :)

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 am

I've used the G-techniq G3 and agree with John- it's very fussy about application. Once it's on properly it works a treat, windscreen lasted 3months or so, all others still going strong after 10months when I sold the car (in fairness they recommend G1 for winscreens). But even though I thought I had buffed it properly, the first time I drove at night I could hardly see out it was so streaky! Sorted it with a bit more buffing but it was a pain.

Traditional Rain-X has the same problem but with less durability in my experience.

My favourite is the rain-x two in one cleaner and repellant spray.
Works just as well as the G-techniq stuff but only lasts a month or so on the windscreen and maybe 3 or 4 on other windows.
But it's so easy to apply the durability isn't a factor. You literally spray it on and spread/wipe it with a microfibre and it's job done. No buffing needed and no streaks if you don't get the perfect technique.

Plus you can get it for cheapness from halfords!
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 am

:thumbsup Sounds just the ticket, will nip up to halfords at the weekend and pick up a bottle to try

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am

StiflerMR2 wrote::thumbsup Sounds just the ticket, will nip up to halfords at the weekend and pick up a bottle to try
That's the one I was talking about too.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 am

Sorry Campbell I must have scrolled past your post! Seems like the best option for me, have to give the car a wash this weekend after last weekends drive took me through a mud track essentially :S