One-off Trackday Insurance

Know a good deal ?
The_Rossatron

One-off Trackday Insurance

Post by The_Rossatron » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:51 pm

I've not phoned Elephant to see if they'll cover me for a trackday (my first too)

Anyone know of anywhere that will cover you for just the day?

Shug

Post by Shug » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:07 pm

Bend over.....

....seriously, if it's not in your policy, it's not really worth it (will cost more than the day, unless you're really lucky) Especially if it's your first.

I've done dozens (literally) of trackdays with no insurance. Remember, it's not even irresponsible to the other track users as it will only cover repairs to your own car if there's another involved. There's no 3rd party cover whatsoever.

If it's KH, you'll be a very unlucky man to cause enough damage to warrant it (ie, any at all)
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:54 pm

You'll be a minimum of £200 a day with roughly a 20% excess if you want full cost cover. That meant a £5k excess for me so I chose not to bother. Elephant will not cover you so don't waste your time phoning. Look in the List of insurers thread for CCI/Eggar Lawson and try them if you like but it was them that quoted me £200+
Last edited by simon on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:40 pm

My personal opinion is not to bother with track insurance.

For Hot Marques and SIDC the driving standards are always very high. Ocasionally you get the odd twonk but i have never felt that i as a driver or even pax felt any danger, re myself or the car. As the turn out for East Fortune is mostly SEers the driving will im sure be excellent. Might be best for you to pop your cherry :wink: with a Hy-performance or Seat single seater at KH before the 4th just to get used to track driving. You will be surprised how competant you actually are! Trick let the faster cars by and watch their lines etc. Pax laps also help too!

If you do decide to go the insurance route i think esteem offer some "FOC" Lots of posts on SELOC if you search for it.
Cheers Ed

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:50 pm

Esteem won't cover you on track under 30. They'll insure you if over 25 but excluding the track cover.

The_Rossatron

Post by The_Rossatron » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:58 pm

Looks like it aint an option then! Ed - I'm hopefully doing the Ferrari thing at Knockhill on the old birthday so that should be a nice introduction! I've been passengered around by Simon and Phil in the past so have a vague idea of what to expect - cheers guys!

Mr Spook

Post by Mr Spook » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 am

So is the general consensus to just not bother with track-day insurance?
I'm with Admiral so presume, like Elephant, that it's a no go.

Well then better just buy myself a helmet and get booked somewhere.
Wish I'd booked up that East Fortune day when it was available. Was worried about the insurance side of things - but sounds like I was wrong on that one. Or would I indeed be taking a big risk with what is realisticaly my daily drive? All very confusing for one as mentally challenged as myself...

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:25 am

My car isn't a daily driver. However, that's not to say it's disposable. If I stack it at a track day then i'm screwed as far as replacing it goes. The view I took was that even if I was insured, I'd need to really cock it up to do £5k worth of damage. So fingers crossed, touch wood (oo-er) etc. that it never happens. I have seen cars go off at KH and seen a good bit of damage so it does happen. It's a risk, you just have to decide whether you want to take it.

Mr Spook

Post by Mr Spook » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:34 am

I see what you mean.
It is indeed a balancing act of risk over outlay. I suppose like any insurance.
I just have this inbuilt alarm against doing anything that the car's not insured for. Wouldn't say I'm normally risk averse, but when the car's involved my feet do tend to get colder.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:54 am

Mr Spook wrote: I just have this inbuilt alarm against doing anything that the car's not insured for. Wouldn't say I'm normally risk averse, but when the car's involved my feet do tend to get colder.
My thoughts exactly....
:(
1994 Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo - Funky Interior Spec
2004 Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

kenny

Post by kenny » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 am

RICHARDHUMBLE wrote:
Mr Spook wrote: I just have this inbuilt alarm against doing anything that the car's not insured for. Wouldn't say I'm normally risk averse, but when the car's involved my feet do tend to get colder.
My thoughts exactly....
:(
Took me 18 months to work up the courage to take my CTR on track, no insurance was the main conern, but honestly once you are on driving it for yourself you see just how safe it is. You really have to be going way beyond your limits to do serious damage.

Most causes of dents that I have seen have been newbies thinking they can take Duffus without braking and going straight into the tyres. Take it slow and build up your speed and its fine.

Do one of Knockhill's novice days, same price as the normal top marques but there is only a handfull of cars on and you get plenty of tuition from an instructor.

Couldnt wait to get my Exige on track, the way I see it is that its far safer to find out where I lose the back end on track than on the road.

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:21 am

i had a wee bump in mine. and it would cost way less to fix it than if i had insurance with a 5K excess.

Thats if i decided to fix it that is :lol:

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 am

I've taken mine out a fair few times at Knockhill, and done a few autotests(all without cover). Definately wary at times about coming off the track, but it does tend to mean that i just back off a wee bit, still have a great time, and don't have many "moments"!

The nice thing about doing the track days where you know most of the people or its an SE thing, is that there are rarely muppets around. Most people are just there to have fun, and no-one wants to go home on the back of a flatbed :wink:

I'd go and do the track instruction at Knockhill if you want to get in amongst it.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:46 am

Just make sure if you hit kitty litter you go in forwards....hitting it side on and...............FLIP FLIP FLIP FLIP...

PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:52 am

i waited till i got insurance, and i would not change that.
ive had 1 moment when a skyline spun right in front of me - the cossie behind me was close to hitting me - that could have been 2 clams and who knows what else.

however, i didnt feel that much in danger... i tend to not push loads neway, im v gradually getting used to things - im alot more confident since ive had driver training and followed other SEers around KH.

i would say theres a 99.999999% chance ull never have any damage at all.
Im with Esteem - and im old (32 tomorrow! :shock: ) - so im lucky in that i get 5 free track days.

any1 know what east fortune is like?
Phil

Ford Focus Sport