No Fault Claims

Know a good deal ?
vet111s

No Fault Claims

Post by vet111s » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Just a bit of a rant really
So my someone very helpfully reversed into the drivers door of my nice new (to me) Land Rover Disco 3 in December. Admiral were very helpful in sorting out the problem through the other drivers insurance and I now have a shiny new door.
On discussing my insurance renewal I discover that for the pleasure of someone driving into my STATIONARY car I now have the joy of an extra £100 on my multicar policy compared to having not had this pleasure.
Incidentally, the nice girl on the phone said she agrees it's a nonsense but couldn't change it.
She was Welsh though so possibly still a little intoxicated from last night!

Thats all
Ali

robin
Jedi Master

Re: No Fault Claims

Post by robin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 pm

It's always been like that. Statistically you are a higher risk because you've had a claim. The only way you can side step this is to settle privately and don't notify your insurance, but this is against your T&Cs so if they ever found out they might decide that you're in breach and thus uninsured.
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

vet111s

Post by vet111s » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Yep, kind of reckoned this is and always has been the case, just never had it apply cause I've never had to make any claim. Also realise the statistical model that makes me "higher risk". Guess I'm just venting!

Cheers

Ali

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Insurance sucks. Personally I think we shouldn't (have to) have insurance in this manner at all. You should be able to choose the cover you want and not rely on the cover of others. So if you want your Ferrari covered against all risks, you pay for it - it's not my problem. Likewise if you're worried about whiplash, you should take out cover for it - I wonder what the premiums will be, though!. It is the mandatory and all covering nature of insurance that provides the insurance companies (and insurance fraudsters including the claims management companies) carte blanche to rip us off day in day out. Before you all scream that's not fair, it's the system we already have - there are plenty of ways in which your pride and joy can be damaged that won't be covered by any other insurance - if you want you can try to get your money via the courts, but mostly you wouldn't bother (what are your chances of tracing the guy in the ruck sack that scratched your car in a car park, for example?).

Then people like me could have no insurance at all - I'l just buy another wreck if one of my existing wrecks is destroyed.

Other people might then decide to simply insure the replacement value of their vehicle, or perhaps just insure the cost of an acceptable vehicle - for example, you might like to drive around in your brand new 335D, but if you had to make do with a 3 year old Insignia, you would. So all you need to insure is the cost of a 3 year old Insignia. These are choices you don't have at the moment, because you are always carrying the cost of insuring everybody's car AND everybody's whiplash injury, etc.

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

robin wrote:(what are your chances of tracing the guy in the ruck sack that scratched your car in a car park, for example?).
That's some covert car damage right there ;)

Insuring for the vehicle only is fine, but what if someone takes out your garden wall?
Then do we all have to pay more council tax to replace that lamp post that a drunk driver knocked over?
Or am I completely naive in thinking the car insurance covers this? :?
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...