Lawrence Hoy

Post new Events, Trackdays, etc - then discuss in the sub-forums below
dezzy

Post by dezzy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am

Only just spotted this thread. Such very sad news. I had no idea about this. My condolences to Katrina, who I had the pleasure of meeting back in the summer when Lawrence and her drove down to Kippford to meet us. My thoughts are with her and the rest of the family.

In just over a year in SE, I met Lawrence only a few times, but I genuinely felt that he brushed off some of his wisdom every single time. I could listen to him for hours. So knowledgeable and alway so willing to help others.

He helped teach me how to handbrake turn at Autotests and I'll never forget how proud I felt when he told me I'd finally got the hang of it.

Lawrence, thank you so much for all the advice you gave me in such a short time of knowing you . . . I only wish I'd got to know you better.

R.I.P.
2009 Mini Cooper, Midnight Black
2008 Elise S, Solar Yellow

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:22 am

Thanks to Mac for phoning. I've posted my words on S7.

Sad loss. Still cant believe it.

G

georgeg33

Post by georgeg33 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:01 am

Truly saddened to hear this.
I first met Lawrence earlier this year, after he had collected a mountain of tools on behalf of the SE and Seven communities, and then again at Oulton Park, where I was greeted like an old friend.
He was genuinely kind hearted and will be sadly missed.
My condolences to Katrina and family, and to all his friends who were fortunate enough to know him better than I.

George

MacK

Post by MacK » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am

I'm in shock reading this, I knew Lawrence wasn't well, but didn't realise how serious..

As many have said, he was a true GentleMan, very patient and always helpfull.

I met him a few times over the years, and a few occasions stand out.

I remember earlier this year I had a MIL light come on on my Elise, and he offered the use of his scanner to check and re-set it on a Saturday afternoon. With his assistance we managed to clear the fault and everything was fine.
I then spent the rest of the afternoon with him setting up the Hoyabusa for a hill climb the next day. What a learning experience, and his painstaking attention to detail was fascinating. The hours flew past.

I also remember him appearing at the Kipford camping trip, just in time to help us transport our provisions to the beach, then headed of home again, with Katrina.

And the time they made the day trip to Oulton Park for the Elise races, and the time I met him at the Scottish Motor Sport Show (also saw Colin MaCrae there too) Always happy to see you and chat, especially about cars.

And who that was there can forget the Scottish Elises trip to Doune and our 'parade' up the hill that Lawrence organised.

My condolences go out to Katrina and the rest of the Hoy family.

I will try and make it to the funeral on Friday.

John
Last edited by MacK on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Subaru Impreza Turbo, a 'classic'.

Silver Jeep Cherokee 2.5 TD, on SORN spec...

Black Disco 3, black van man spec...

brian

Post by brian » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:10 pm

It was a real shock to hear this sad news as I wasn't aware that Lawrence was ill.

Campbell's post says it all really.

A real Lotus enthusiast happy to help everyone. I can still picture Lawrence lying in the rain in the hotel car park at Dijon fixing various broken Elises and still smiling.

Lawrence is a sad loss and will be greatly missed.

My condolences to Katrina and the rest of the Hoy family.

Brian

The_Rossatron

Post by The_Rossatron » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:20 pm

Very shocked and sad to hear this. I don't think I ever met Lawrence and only knew of him through here, but sounds like he'll live on through the knowledge he's passed on and the people he's touched throughout his life. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
"There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now."
Ferrari F355, Fiat Panda 100HP, Rover Mini Cooper

http://www.allflashnocash.com

PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Firstly, i am saddened and my thoughts are with Lawrence's family and close friends.

To me, Lawrence was and is one of the main characters in S_E.

When i met him at KH, I could tell from the way people were with him that he was someone to respect and to enjoy time with.

Ive looked forward to speaking to Lawrence again, and it saddens me that that cant happen again.

A top bloke and a true character.

He will be missed - but he sure has left behind a lotta good memories for alot of people!! Thats the mark of a great person....

Phil
Phil

Ford Focus Sport

Andy D

Post by Andy D » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Very sad, my condolences to all who knew him,

RIP
Yellow S2 135R # 116 - sold - replacement soon....maybe

quattroboy

Post by quattroboy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Very sad to hear about Lawrence. Thoughts are with his family. I only met him a few times but long enough to leave an impression. Top guy, will be sorely missed.

Brian.

kanddl_111r

Post by kanddl_111r » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Very sad news. :(
David

Previously had 111R with Viper Induction, but now sold ;o((
Audi A4 2.0Turbo (chipped to 260bhp+)
Suzuki Jimny (heavily rollcaged and modified - see TeamJimny.co.uk)

Matelotman

Post by Matelotman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:37 pm

As a relatively new SE'er, I never had the priveledge but Lawrence sounds like my kinda guy and seems to have encapsulated the spirit of what this little band of merry men (and woman) is all about... my sincere condolences to his family and to the people who knew him.
Elise S1 B&C 140 - long time ago now

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:21 pm

I was browsing the gallery forum an came across a mention of this and a tear sprang up in my eye as I realised what must have happened.

Met him twice, never to speak to at any length beyond an introduction, but as others have said enough to leave an impression and suspect that the world is worse for his passing.

RIP and kind regards to his family.

Pete
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

ryallm

Post by ryallm » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Very sad to hear this news. Lawrence was one of the first SEers I met when I got my Elise in 2002 and always seemed like a lynchpin of the whole Scottish Lotus community. A nicer and more generous guy you couldn't hope to meet.

Mark

Dicey

Post by Dicey » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Sad, sad news indeed. My condolences to his family.

Mike.

Andy A

Post by Andy A » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 pm

What a sad day,

I once had the pleasure in meeting Lawrence on a run down to Dumfries for an autotest some years ago when I had my first lotus, have to say I was scared and I was the only one not taking part in the autotest but after some encouraging words from Lawrence I did and loved it ! And have never looked back.

RIP Mr Hoy.