Split General Chat Forum?

Post new Events, Trackdays, etc - then discuss in the sub-forums below

Should we split General Chat into two forums?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 56

tenkfeet

Re: Split General Chat Forum?

Post by tenkfeet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:15 am

Stewart wrote:
tut wrote:If you know a better way of organising half a dozen events over a whole weekend involving 110 cars, then by all means let me know.

tut
Tut

This was not a dig at you by any means. Yes we need a thread with all the info and updates, but I would have preferred if you could have been given control to open and close a thread and just updated it as necessary (kind of like the way the Classifieds section works) with new relevant information or any changes. We would have then be able to easily follow the "official" thread without having to wade back through pages of posts to find the key information.

Stewart
(Less grumpy now that it's Friday :D )
:withstupid
No lotus
Exige Sport 350 (Sold)
Elise Cup 250 (Air con and radio tubby spec) (Sold)
Evora S (sold)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Noops - my feeling is that the whole Sleepy thread and it's like are part and parcel of SE, just that SE has other uses too, and whilst one thread is neither here nor there, when there are 10's that are nothing more than fun, they can become a hindrance to quick navigation to the threads of more substance for those not (currently) wishing to partake in the banter.

Hence, if we have a different section for threads that are meant to be nothing more than banter, they will be easy to ignore for those that want to ignore them. Indeed calling that section "Banter" and then keeping General Chat for stuff that is more informational or for debating issues of any sort would suit me.

I was not wishing to imply that these threads should not exist - I feel the exact opposite - they should exist for as long as those people reading and posting on them want to continue.

Also, I don't feel very strongly about any of this - it's all about the people, not the forum itself :-)

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Edin430

Post by Edin430 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Even if you do split it into two sections, everyone (including those who say they won't) would still look at both.. Thus making it pointless IMHO.

But whatever :D

campbell

Post by campbell » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Fascinating.

There's a wee groundswell for both doing something, and doing nothing. However in our Democratic Liberal Dictatorship here, we've got a poll where the majority says don't split it.

So why not roll along as we are for another wee while, and test the views again in 6 months or so?

In practical terms, the View New Posts search returns a couple of pages of material each day...I accept that this becomes several pages if you have been on hols but that's not the Forum's fault, you should be taking your Blackberry XDA Portable SuperComputer thingy to the beach with you if it matters that much. Or get a "holidaymakers digest" from a couple of buddies when you come back!

But in practical terms this means you are not having to scan all that much - and you can select from a few different "skins" that change the readability of the titles, etc. So that's a bit of user-choice there too.

From a personal opinion point of view, I also see General Chat as our clubhouse and there's actually a lot to be gained from surfing through it and spotting the odd bit of harmless drivel that you might not otherwise see. In some cases it has fair made my day, just like hearing a good joke from the table next door in the pub ;-)

Campbell

PS - way back when the earth cooled, you had no choice on what to scan as it all piled into your Inbox regardless...futile attempts to create Inbox rules by some were generally abandoned...and the old-fashioned trick of "reading the subject" came back into play ;-) Perhaps we should just crack down on crappy or cryptic titles. You know like the ones on emails entitled "Hi" etc....
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:44 pm

i like the idea of "Banter".

i recast my vote for a Banter forum.
it fits!
Phil

Ford Focus Sport

Blaque

Post by Blaque » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 pm

I think the General Chat should be just that. All encompassing. If people decide a post its not for them, and it's "drivel." Then surely they can choose to ingore it.

Who's to say that a post in a "Banter" section will not grow to include interesting/important info for someone that would otherwise will be missed, as they don't go near the banter posts.

My 2p
No, No! not Bloke. It's pronounced Black, as in Plaque