First weekend in Elise

Post new Events, Trackdays, etc - then discuss in the sub-forums below
highlander

First weekend in Elise

Post by highlander » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 pm

My "new" car gets collected from MMC May 1st so thought I'd take a few days off work to celebrate with a wee trip round the north of Scotland.So it's Edinburgh to Inverness, cross country to Crieff,then thru' Glencoe and up to Inverness.Depending on time it's either up Ullapool road and round north coast to overnight stop in Thurso or up to Lairg and onwards to Tongue and then Thurso.
Day off Thurs,visiting family
Friday morning it's off to Durness from Thurso.Then down the west coast to Oban and back home to Perthshire.
That'll do me for my first run as quad-biking with Perthshire Off-Road on the Sat and probably a few small beverages at night as it's my 50th on Sun!!
Anyone want to join in part/whole trip then message me,I don't have too many plans,just go with the flow and you'll have to find a bed on Wed & Thurs as I'm staying with family.

SAJ

Re: First weekend in Elise

Post by SAJ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Sounds like you'll have a great first few days in the car, no better way to get antiquated with it.
Facebook: facebook.com/revlimits1
Instagram: @RevLimits

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Probably best to stick up these suggested runs in the meets section of the Forum. :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Been a while since I drove up past Ullapool, might even have been in the S1, great roads.
W213 All Terrain

highlander

Post by highlander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Ullapool north to Durness is a great driving road and I'm quite familiar with most of the routes in the north...well travelled with bike weekends away.
Thought about posting in "Meets" section but not really an organised run...I'm going with no timescale and route's not 100% set in stone...have to end up in Thurso and thought I'd Akers the ost of it.

highlander

Post by highlander » Thu May 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Goddam iPad,always suggesting what it thinks I type!!
1st trip/day of Elisedom went well,covers ground well and extraordinarily frugal,felt very sure footed in wet(must check what tyres it's on)
Heading from Thurso to Durness on Friday and eventually back to Perth,hope weather picks up as it's wet up here at moment.
Had my (hopefully)only Lotus moment last night,went for a wee trip out with my 81 year old mother and car wouldn't respond to fob on returning to it....had to call a friend to take us back to town to drop of mum and pick up spare fob.....luckily that worked so trip goes on.
Called MMC today and new fob will be ordered,can't remember the name of the gent that returned my call but very pleasant and professional.....offered to post but as I'm often in Edinburgh I'll collect and thank them in person.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Thu May 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Key fob probably just needs a new battery and then reprogrammed - there are instructions in the manual of how to do it. Although it is a pain in the ar$e when you get locked out :roll:

Edit to add :thumbsup to you old mum for getting into an Elise. Like her style. :mrgreen:
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

highlander

Post by highlander » Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Cheers for info,tested battery that night @ 2.8V so it should be OK but probably needs re-prog since it's been apart.Internals of fob don't seem to be secured in place so maybe that's the problem....due a change for peace of mind,might be the original.Don't usually have a spare key and fob with me so just as well the problem occurred the day I collected car.

highlander

Post by highlander » Sun May 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Had a great few days in Elise,seems like an easy car to drive but I'm guessing that accessing the last 25% of the performance is where the real skill/experience of ownership lies.My last car was an A6 avant with 4.2 but tiptronic so a speedy cruiser,hung on well but you could certainly feel all that weight.Before that I had a 5 litre Chimaera,lovely torquey car but felt clumsy on most of the roads I like....I had to think long and hard before deciding to part with it but we like to drive to continent on holiday and TVR would be just too uncomfortable...very hot in cabin and I didn't want to ultimately hate the car for it's "issues" which were really my problem not its!!
Probably not going abroad driving this year but definitely next year and looking forward to it,already starting to make plans which will be fine tuned to suit all the participants.
All looking good for Lotus ownership,hope we have a dryish summer,next trip away is start of June,away up to Melfort with wife for a few days of Lotusing.

neilj37

Post by neilj37 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 am

Mmc should have given you 2 sets of keys with the car. Whilst I owned the car I found one of the keys kept de-syncing while there was no problems with the other. If I remember the older looking key key is the one that doesn't have an issue. Easy enough to resync.

New tyres were fitted less than 2000 miles ago and are the standard elise tyres.

Hope your enjoying the car, I found the chip paint stick if you want to pm address.
Elise S - OMG its fast spec
Seat Leon FR+ Supercopa - BTCC Spec
MX5 Mk1 - turbo build spec

highlander

Post by highlander » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Just checked the odo in the car out of curiosity and clocked up just over 3K in the 2 months since I got it....not too shabby I'm thinking for a weekend motor.I rack up 35 to 40 K in the works van a year so usually don't want to drive too much at weekends but I reckon this is a good reflection of the Elise or maybe still in honeymoon period!!
Finding it hard to get my head round the Lotus driving experience as brain is in van mode as default....every time I look at speedo in car I'm going slower than I perceive....what's that all about??
All good so far though and looks like an epic motoring summer for us.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 pm

highlander wrote:...every time I look at speedo in car I'm going slower than I perceive....what's that all about??
1. Your arse is nearer the tarmac -feels faster.
2. You are not isolated from the driving experience with power assisted ....servo .... electric.... etc - feels more involving

Look at it the other way drive a modern isolated luxury barge and how often are you going faster than you think ? Reason - you are isolated from the experience.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline