The Underdog in Time Attack ** Snetterton Results **

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
BigD

Re: The Underdog in Time Attack ** Brands Hatch Results **

Post by BigD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Shug wrote:Bad luck mate - think it's time to invest in one of these:

:lol: :lol:

There's talk of Club clas being split in 2 next year and in that case I would be right at the front of the lower club class to which my car fits. :thumbsup

I'm never going to compete with the big turbo/budget brigade so just enjoy punching above my weight. :D

philthy

Post by philthy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:25 pm

still a good effort BigD, hows the car holding out? Have you needed to change many parts like clutch, suspension components, steering etc yet?
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

BigD

Post by BigD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:19 pm

philthy wrote:still a good effort BigD, hows the car holding out? Have you needed to change many parts like clutch, suspension components, steering etc yet?
The car was going really well although that is probably given it the kiss of death. :lol: Better check my European breakdown cover. :lol:

Replaced the clutch with a twin plate a while ago now although the original oem clutch did over 40k miles. I've had a set of second hand coilovers on it now too for about 18 months. Other than that it's pretty much stock.

The main things it uses are consumables like brake pads, tyres, oil changes etc, oh and fuel. :lol:

philthy

Post by philthy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Interesting, have you upgraded the brakes from the brembos?
I am considering another evo for the winter time, miss the 4wd and boooost :lol:
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

BigD

Post by BigD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:22 pm

philthy wrote:Interesting, have you upgraded the brakes from the brembos?
I am considering another evo for the winter time, miss the 4wd and boooost :lol:
Yeh, I'm using the K-sport 8 pots which came cheap with the Time Attack deal. 8)

BigD

Re: The Underdog in Time Attack ** Snetterton Results **

Post by BigD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Really enjoyed the final round, it was good to make the final as I improved my time again. :D

Had a couple of moments:

1. Nearly t-boned someone as I was passing one car very late and almost out braked myselft into another. :shock:
2. Whifbitze RX7 spun right in front of me
3. Subaru spun infront of me after I let him pass :twisted:
4. Elise and DC5 spun right in front of me
5. Most serious - wheel nearly fell off. :shock: Had a strange, getting worse vibration so came straight in. Brakes were smoking as I didn't do a cool down lap. Felt like a drive shaft or something. Turned out to be a very loose wheel. :roll: :lol:
6. Almost forgot, got a warning for cutting the chicane. :lol: Someone had hit the cone out the way so I thought it was fair game to cut it slightly more. :lol:

Should end up in about 9th overall after today's decent points. 8)

Decided to upgrade the rods and pistons to forged items as my head gasket had gone on FF7. Got the head skimmed, checked the bores and crank for wear to make sure they were within tolerance, fitted the new cams, metal head gasket and ARP head bolts on top of that. Upped the boost and increased the rev limit a tad too. :twisted:

Fitted new brake discs too as my old ones were cracked and worn through the grooves. :lol:

Finally got it finished at 4am on Friday night so headed down on Saturday lunchime. Down the A68 to bed in the piston rings. :lol:

Car never missed a beat all weekend although I found the limit of the stock ECU boost cut when trying to run 2.2 bar so had to back it off to 2 bar. :lol: Didn't really have time to set it up properly so it was only really holding 1.9 ish.

The engine seems to have loosened up nicely now as it was very strong on the way home on low boost. 8)

So a 1000 mile trip with a track day did the trick. :wink:

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:27 pm

top effort mate :thumbsup

Like your running in programme, sounds similar to mine with the 111r :damnfunny (without the racing!)
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

kenny

Post by kenny » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:34 pm

The thing I am most impressed with is the fact you managed to get off your arse and fix the car. The result on track wasn't bad either :thumbsup

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:19 pm

good man. I am not surprised about the kerb hoppin.

Still makes me laugh, thinking about paxing with you on FF all 4 wheels off the track. You would get a drive throu in F1 :mrgreen:

Top effort. Same agian next year?
"Here for a good time not a long time"

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:52 pm

A little more than kerb hoppin.....

As said mate, excellent result :thumbsup
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

BigD

Post by BigD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Cheers guys. :D

Not sure about next year yet. If they change the rules the way they said they would then I would be in with a very good chance in my class which should be purely amatuers not £60k plus builds. :D

The kerb thing was because someone (I think it was Jamie in the Elise) took out a cone so I started to cut slightly more, it was just on one bend. I'm not convinced every kerb saves time, if any, since they are quite severe in places. It's about finding the helpfull ones and some of them are on exit rather than apex. :wink:

Videos now in the gallery section. 8)

BigD

Post by BigD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Here's another. :twisted:

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 am

Well done big lad! A Good season indeed! :wink:

BigD

Post by BigD » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Cheers dudes. :thumbsup

Not sure about next year yet. If the regs are changed in my favour then very possibly. :D