Simon @ Brands Hatch 25/04/2009 Race Report

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
ironside
Site Admin

Simon @ Brands Hatch 25/04/2009 Race Report

Post by ironside » Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Round 4 at Brands Hatch on the Indy layout. Prior to the race Mac and I spent a bit of time trying to sort out my brakes which aren't quite as responsive as they were at the beginning of the season. Filed the glazing off the pads (Mintex M1144s) and tried to get the rears (drums) contributing a bit more. My car has a twin master cylinder with bias bar setup rather than a hydraulic adjuster and we had to run the bias as far to the rear as possible but it still isn't contributing as much as it should. This is because I have two different sized master cylinders. I'll replace the one that does the rear circuit and fit a set of Green Stuff front pads, which is what most of the rest of the field use, in time for the next race at Anglesey. In the meantime we left it at the full rear setting in the hope that it was better than what I had.

Qualifying

The Clerk of the Course didn't show up for my first time driver's briefing. He'd forgotten and by the time a Formula Vee driver and I had tracked him down and convinced him he was supposed to be doing a briefing I had already missed half of my qualifying. I was furious, really annoyed, especially as I have not been to this circuit before and even after telling him my session was imminent I still had to tolerate the most drawn out first time driver's briefing I've sat through yet.

What a great circuit though, the sun was out and Paddock Hill bend is just as scary I've been told it is. By the time I arrived on track there was already one car off in the gravel there on the exact path that I would take if I fell off the track. I did manage to stay on the track though, got 8 laps in. The best of which was a 1:04.21 which put me 4th from the back of the grid. Hmph, I'm convinced I could've been further up if I'd had a bit more time. Some were not so lucky at Paddock Hill bend though. Car 40's steering wheel came off and he went straight into the tyres (click):

His car has had it unfortunately, as well as needing his tracking done he'll need a whole new front end as the chassis is bent. The driver was absolutely fine though. He'd qualified 4th too . . .

Race

I still haven't got over the nerves of starting, in a way it's still the best bit! Lights out and away we went. I got a decent start, made up a place or two and the pack got through Paddock Hill bend without incident. A newbie, in his first race, didn't brake early enough for Druids and went straight on into the gravel trap and there was a good bit more carnage as a couple of cars spun, without contact, through Graham Hill bend. Car 91 kindly gave me a bit of room and I took the advantage and went ahead.

Remembering the briefing at Mallory Park, over the next lap or two I was careful to acknowledge and obey the yellow flags until the hazard boards were out at Druids and then got back on the pace. There were 5 cars behind me, including a couple of guys I usually lap with and I was gradually leaving them behind (click):

I eventually ended up lapping on my own with nobody in front and nobody behind me which was nice as it meant I was maybe getting faster but not nearly as fun as the close racing had been at Snetterton and Mallory Park. I did also wonder for awhile if I was the only person who didn't know the race had been stopped but there were no red flags out and nobody was frantically waving at me. I spent the rest of the race working on my braking points for Paddock Hill and I did eventually catch another car but by then we were in the last lap and the front runners had just caught me. A matter of seconds later the chequered flag came out.

I came 19th of 28 starters with 4 classified finishers behind me, 3 places away from points! The car I was catching in the last laps turned out to be someone I was about to lap, so nothing was lost there. My best lap was 1:03.12, over a second faster than in qualifying. Luckilly we're going back for a double header there at the end of June where I hope further improvements will be made, especially if I get my brakes sorted.

Next race is a double header at Anglesey on the 6th & 7th of June.

Simon

Andy G

Re: Simon @ Brands Hatch 25/04/2009 Race Report

Post by Andy G » Fri May 01, 2009 2:36 pm

well done mate :thumbsup

All the time going forwards also!

Great reports keep them coming and good luck getting your braking sorted :cheers
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Well done, lets get some testing in, sort your brakes, and you can go kick ass :thumbsup

VXJON
An Equal Opportunities Lover

Post by VXJON » Fri May 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Well done :thumbsup

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Fri May 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Good reading Simon, makes my hands itchy when I see pics of the track.

Keep pushing and improving, be aggressive, but try to stick to 99% so that you stay on the track and don't lose position by spinning.

tut

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri May 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Great report. I'll be racing the indy circuit at the end of june.Really looking forward to it.I have never driven the indy, only the full gp which was fantastic.

Good luck at angelsey
S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec
Astravan Sportive SE - Supervan spec