Raceland in Edinburger (Karting)

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
jen
Girl racer

Re: Raceland in Edinburger (Karting)

Post by jen » Sun May 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah, that was for Alan and I. It was a GP type thing and we were there with about 25 others for a birthday party and we were split into 4 or 5 teams. No joke, we were there for about two hours and that was including changing into our suits, a briefing and an awards ceremony at the end. Very poor indeed. :? I refuse to go there again.

The problem is, thats the only place in or near Aberdeen to do karting, so people will pay their rip-off prices. The only other place up here is Boyndie, which is a bit of a trek. I like the sound of an annual membership. I would be there all the time!!

I went somewhere in Glasgow once, would it be in or near Clydebank? Same amount of people, but we were there almost a full day and Im sure cost us half that. Was about 8 years ago now though. :oops:

When I stayed in Livingston and Alan in Falkirk, we used to go to the one in Deans in Livingston, next to the auction place (and my grans house!) and xtreme in Falkirk. Both were really good fun, and reasonably priced too. I think the one in Livi charged £12 and we would be there for a good hour at least. Can't remember much about xtreme (sorry Barrie! :oops: ) other than I remember being in it!! Alan used to go loads though, and he's tight so wouldn't keep going back if it was expensive!! :lol:

Jen

DJ

Post by DJ » Mon May 17, 2010 10:02 pm

gorrie wrote:DJ... what lap times were you managing indoors, out of interest?
The Raceland indoor track is OK, but I find it punishes the fatties. I only average about 20.5-20.7 secs indoors... but my 9yr old son is now doing those laptimes regularly, and his fastest lap (20.32) beats mine handsdown. My other son (8yr old) only had his first race in April, he still looks really scrappy as expected.. yet he's managed a 21.9 somehow ??!!??

Can't wait until they are old enough to go outdoors at the same time as me.... & see what they've got then :lol:
Jeez, I can hardly remember things from 2 days ago, never mind 2 months ! :lol:

I held the lap record for the middle third of the evening but can't remember what the time was :oops: . Somone might still have the printout at work - I'll have a look. You are right about the weight though. Lap record went to a small guy built like a pipecleaner who could easily pass for a jockey. I was in pole for one session and this 9 or 10st guy in positon 2 shot off the line and was about 10 foot in front of me by the first corner. After the 8 laps or so he was only about 20 foot in front but the (lack of weight) was a huge factor for the start and last corner exit.

Is that your boy in P2 for the cadet qualifying for next month's race ? Best of luck :thumbsup
'03 Elise 111S - Sold :(
'55 Boxster S - Sold :(
'08 Exige S 240PP - Sold :(
'10 Evora NA - Sold :(
'12 Cayman R :)

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 am

Hi All

Kids can start at 5 in Bambino karts, or cadets if they are big enough, cant race (MSA) until they are 8.

If you would like to go MSA racing please give me a call, I will point you in the right direction (Steven is the current scottish cadet open champion)

Contact ian Brown at Cambuslang Karting, he also does lets Go Karting (£5)
http://www.cambuslangkarting.co.uk/
And East of Scotland Kart Club, Jamie Glen, at Crail, also for £5
http://www.eskc.net/?page_id=2

Cheers

Stuart
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

gorrie

Post by gorrie » Tue May 18, 2010 10:59 am

DJ wrote: Is that your boy in P2 for the cadet qualifying for next month's race ? Best of luck :thumbsup
That was him DJ, yep.... raceday has been & passed now though. The top 3 all finished on exactly the same points after 4 races, so they all got maximum championship points... but for the podium, they dished the trophies out based on who managed the quickest lap time out of the 3 of them... so he only got 3rd.

He messed up qualy on Sunday though... so I think he will be down in the middle for the June race :roll:

Stu... as a ballpark, how expensive does it get for the MSA racing if they want to be, say mid pack? I'd liked to have gotten the lads in to the MSA stuff, but not sure the wallet could stretch to it if I'm honest. They've got their own racewear (approved gloves & Level2 suit etc).. although their helmets would probably need upgraded for an MSA event (just using kids Nitro/Caberg lids for them).. so with racewear out of the equation.. just how pricey is it to run your own kart for an MSA championship?
I'm about £70 per month between the 2 of them at the moment, which seems decent value considering I don't have to worry about kart purchase/upkeep... but then again, it's a Micky Mouse club championship & you also have no real control over how good the kart is from heat to heat.
I have no signature.