Super Lap Scotland Round 2 & 3 Report

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
David

Super Lap Scotland Round 2 & 3 Report

Post by David » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Super Lap Scotland - Round 2

http://superlapscotland.co.uk/2013_round2.htm

After such a long spell of good weather it was an apprehensive week waiting for the SLS when it looked like thundery showers were the order of the day. What a relief when Saturday turned out to be a perfect day. I arrived at 7.45 with Alan Gourlay close behind. On the strength of the forecast, Alan and Jennifer had canceled their camping and booked last minute on to the SLS.

Once we were through scrutineering and the briefing, it was straight to the first practice session at 9.00. I knew from round one this would be a ‘golden time’ with conditions perfect and little traffic.

Alan and I returned to the pits with grins from ear-to-ear. In five years of tracking, that’s got to be the most fun I’ve had. A new PB for me and with a 57.3 and a 56.8 for Alan. The only thing that went wrong was I forgot to take the lens cap off the camera - doh!

Second practice proved to be just as much fun but with the faster cars out and more traffic generally, I struggled to put a good lap in but Alan shaved a few more 10ths of his time to get a 56.4, the second fastest time, and fastest in class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7oK61Pg_LU

(7.00 - Alan shows me how you brake for the hairpin)

Qualification is an out-lap, two flying laps, and an in-lap - you get three chances at it. I’m not particularly aggressive and find it difficult to get the tyres turned on in that format but Alan made it even harder for himself by only doing one flying lap - nevertheless, he put a blistering lap in to get 2nd in class with a 56.6. Apparently his boost button didn’t work up the straight or it would have been first in class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxd7u2EdsmU

The final is even tricker with just one flying lap but, mentally, I was a bit better prepared but the temperatures had dropped a bit and I was pleased with 3rd in class with a 59.2. Alan was a whole two seconds quicker with a 57.02, but again his boost button didn't work and he had to settle for second in class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRdw9klE5pk

Comparing the R400D to the R500K was interesting, although the power at the wheels is not that different, the K is certainly lighter (and where it matters) so in the warm dry condition it could used it’s full potential and really left the the D standing. One day I’ll put Alan in the R400D and see what the driver element is, but I guess it’s probably around a second for the car and a second for me :)

A terrific day!

Round 3 tomorrow!
Last edited by David on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caterham - R400
Mini Cooper

Duratec in Detail
flickr
Youtube
facebook

David

Re: Super Lap Scotland Round 2 Report

Post by David » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Round 3 (Reverse)

The forecast was bad and it lived up to expectations. I fitted my ‘wets’ before we left home as I didn’t fancy doing it in the paddock at Knockhill. Had I known there was no signing on, or briefing, I would have spent another hour in bed, so, with time to kill, we headed off to Kinnaird’s for a coffee.

First practice was a typicaly wet knockhill with my best time around 1.13. I was worried about tyres as the Yokohamas AO21 had not been very good the first time I tried them, but as the session went on they felt better and better. If I had another 15 minutes and I'm sure I could have got the times down a bit further, but at least I felt more confident on them. Alan excels in the wet and he was in the 1.04s, but the surface water was probably on the limit of what the ZZR could clear.

Second practice was called on time with similar conditions but, in my haste to to get to the holding area, the large puddle on the tonneau found its way onto my lap. Really wet now! As we waited in the assembly area the heavens opened and a series of red flags for the sprint event delayed things. Apart for getting generally wet, I was also getting very cold. Gordon arrived to rescue with an umbrella but it was really too late with water level in the seat was just getting annoying.

By the time we were on track it was standing water the whole way round but I was now confident enough with the tyres to do a solid lap. Soon Graham Davidson, Charlie Shaw, Alan Freeland disappeared into the distance and I settle down to do some 1.14 in what is the wettest I’ve been out at KH. Alan soon reached the wet limit of the ZZR and decided to throw in the towel after several aquaplaning incidents. I knew I would probably be last – but I was out there and holding it together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9pkgBm-ZlA

Qualifying

With rain still failing I knew I was going to be last so it was really about a personal best in the wet. I delivered that with 1.12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKH2dMN3_O4

The final

The rain stopped about an hour before we were due to go on track for the final. With half an hour to go the track seemed to be getting a dry line but with dark clouds overhead I decided to wait 15 minutes before making a decision about tyres. But, Just as I decided to fit the ZZR semi slick, we were called - bugger! So off I went on the AO21s. It turned out to be an inspired choice :? as the track was still damp and it would have been difficult getting the ZZR working. The AO21, with their tread block, warmed quickly and worked well during the single lap format.
The problem was that, having qualified last, I put out was out first with the ‘slower’ cars and caught David Herd at Clarks. I aborted the run as I knew if I passed the line, and set a time, I would possibly not get another chance. But now the issue was that I was queued up behind Charlie Shaw with Alan Freeland in front of him! This was going to be tricky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmwFSDj8qw

The inevitable happened, I did see Alan and planned to pull over in Duffus but misjudged his closing speed and we met at MacIntyres. I think a better briefing about blocked runs would have helped Alan, and like myself, he should maybe have aborted his run.

Still a great day and just being there gave me a second in class and valuable points after the high attrition rate over the two days. With a 128 points in class B I am now in second place for class B and can’t be overtaken so worth enduring the difficult conditions.
Caterham - R400
Mini Cooper

Duratec in Detail
flickr
Youtube
facebook

TrackScotland

Re: Super Lap Scotland Round 2 & 3 Report

Post by TrackScotland » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 pm

aye, the wet / dry split must have caused a ballache for drivers LOL

Fee's first Saloon race was the same... started raining just before the race, so tried to get wets ready... not enough time. Race two.... it dried just before the race, and no time for slicks LOL