Back in Time Attack

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
gambler

Back in Time Attack

Post by gambler » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 pm

For those of you who followed my barely litterate ramblings on here but miss out on my facebook gold...ish, :? here is a quick update to the end of the 2012 season.

Snetterton

After most of the season not being quite happy with the handling of the car, we made some changes to bring it back towards the old setup... no understeer :D. On Saturday we raced on the 300 circuit and the car was handling awesome. Could not match the pace of scuffers in the exige or the power of Steve Peel in the evo but managed a pretty respectable 3rd place, only 1s behind the 3rd place in pro class, who run on full slicks, not bad on a 3 mile lap.

Sunday - 200 circuit- Slippery as an otter in a wetsuit covered in grease. I had been fastest in every wet session all year, except the 2 sessions where I had engine problems. I was pretty happy to see the wet track, tyres were pretty pumped down to budget reasons but I had run stacks of wet days in pumped tyres at Knockhill and never had a problem. 1st wet session was qualifying, went out with the V700 Kumho which were nice and soft, too soft for Anglesey when I 1st used them and took most of the life out of them. The standing water was much deeper on the rest of the track and it was aqua plane central. The back end was all over the place, as bad as the Atom in the cold and wet which was hinting towards rear diff problems. Time for the final and I had made the decision to get rid of the V700s in favour of AO48s. These were pretty pumped but had never been much of a problem at Knockhill. I did have the option of using the brand new road tyres but at the time I did not think the conditions were any worse than I had ran in the past, Jason Ogg had just come in from the club final with slightly better tyres and had found enough grip. Straight out and instantly realised that the tyres were very wrong, any power and the back end was out but that could be dealt with. 150 mph on the straights and the car was floating across all the entire track, completely all over the place. Luckily, I have never had a great sense of self preservation so cracked on flat out none the less. On the 2nd last lap I nailed the braking point perfectly for the 1st corner and was just picking up speed on the rest of the track.... My final lap, knowing exactly where to brake from about 150mph, carrying the same amount of speed as the last lap, I noticed some dryer tar caused by the motorsport wets used by the Pro cars. I followed that line which was a couple of feet further across than my line but I thought there should be more grip, braked in at the same point and the back tyres instantly locked and the car swopped ends (turns out it was where a car had sh*t its engine eariler) the car had always had a decent front bias as I had no bias valve and much bigger front brakes...Thats my racing driver excuse and I'm sticking to it! So, I lost next to no speed as I few of the track, got a nice view of the gravel trap as I slid past it on the grass and twated the barrier. So hard that I bounced back 15ft and back round 270degrees. To add insult to injury, with no decent lap in the final, I scored minimal points and finished 3rd equal in the championship but lost the position due to a count back rule with only 1 win during the season.

The shell was a complete write off, the guys at RA Motorsport had to cut the chassis legs off to get the engine out. The legs had crushed the heads and broke my nice cosworth cams and actualy broke the block. With a business expansion planned for 2013 I decided to take the season out and actually pay attention the business rather than my juvenile pass times.

Wet conditions... Check

Ouch

Anyone have any T-Cut

Fast forward to the the latter part of 2013 and RA Motorsport developments decided to build a brand new demo car on a GC8 (classic) shell. They had decided to go all out on this car and were looking at a spec of around 800Hp plus Nitrous. They needed someone a bit mad to pilot this beast and decided that I was the man for the job.

The car is running ultra wide track/body with an ABW lightweight pannels. 2.35 engine, running a GT40 turbo with Nitrous and a 6 speed Samsonas sequential gearbox. We will be competing in Pro Class in the SLS championship and probably Pro Class in Time Attack. To say that I am excited to get behind the wheel is the worlds biggest understatement. It will take a bit of time to get the car all set up and ready as it is a completely fresh car from the ground up with plenty of custom parts.

You can follow the progress of the car on the RA Motorsport Developments Facebook page and also on my ScottRobsonRacing page.

New hotness

S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec
Astravan Sportive SE - Supervan spec

Mike Scib

Re: Back in Time Attack

Post by Mike Scib » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Straight line hero :wink:

Looks 'Epic' mate, sure it will be a beast to drive!!

Good luck :thumbsup
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Congrats in getting back to it!

Looking forward to the write ups!
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Dominic wrote:Congrats in getting back to it!

Looking forward to the write offs!
How very rude, Dom! :shock: :D

Amazing looking car. Are you realistically aiming for the top step of the podium now compared to the other specs?

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Best of luck buddy! Anything less than a podium isn't worth getting out of bed for... Get it done? :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Very nice. :thumbsup

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Excellent news that your competing again :thumbsup
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:27 pm

That is some car Scot, really does look the dogs goolies.

Tis going to be a whole new ball game with a team like that behind you, and hopefully good reliability.

tut

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Good luck and looking forward in hearing how your season develops :thumbsup

Steve.

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks for all the positive comments guys :thumbsup
graeme wrote:
Dominic wrote:Congrats in getting back to it!

Looking forward to the write offs!
How very rude, Dom! :shock: :D

Amazing looking car. Are you realistically aiming for the top step of the podium now compared to the other specs?
:damnfunny :damnfunny

Even though there has probably been £150k put into the car, I will still be massively up against it in Pro Class. Some of the cars will be worth over twice as much. Many of the cars have been fully wind tunnel tested and the Roger Clark Motorsport Gobstopper 2 has been finished for over a year and has just been testing and tweaking since then. I know that the ABS unit alone is worth over £5K..... I am our ABS unit. The RA car will actually be a similar spec to many of the Club Pro cars. It's massively better specced than my old car though.

Cant wait to get out and start developing a brand new car though, it should be a great challenge.
Mike Scib wrote:Straight line hero

Looks 'Epic' mate, sure it will be a beast to drive!!

Good luck
:mrgreen: I can't even claim to be that Mike, I crashed in a straight line
S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 am

£300k??? Holy crap. I might need to stop thinking of Time Attack as a typical Crail quarter-mile day, but with corners.... :D

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:10 pm

The likes of the new RCM car may be in the region of twice that figure with all the R&D and custom parts that went into it. It is not uncommon to see 100k cars in club class. One of the great things about Time Attack is that the regulations are very free which brings some amazing cars, it is also a downside as you can pretty much buy lap times with bigger budgets.

Last year I brought a couple of Rallyist mates down to Oulton Park TA. They are 2x and 5x Scottish Rally champions respectively. David who is 5x champion was well aware of the series after plenty of pub chat was very impressed by the speed of the cars. Murray had just thought that Time Attack was just for people who could not afford to go proper racing and was absolutely blown away with the prep level in a lot of the cars.
S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm

:shock:

Is there the sponsorship to match in the competition or is it all down to deep pockets ?
Focus ST estate, i3s and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Unfortunately it's down to deep pockets. There is sponsorship out there, in the current climate it's mainly free/cost price parts or labour etc.

The series does average 6-10k spectators a round, which is pretty decent exposure for potential sponsors.

It can be done on a budget but you are really up against the cheque book warriors. A bit of skill can help a lot, especially in the lower classes but its very difficult to go up against a 2-300hp deficit.

I can really see the likes of Loti being the way forward. They may be a bit more expensive to buy initially but being lighter and a great base for a race car, I think the running costs could be a bit less. 500hp will get you no where in a 4wd bus but could have the makings of a real flyer in an Elise / Exige with decent aero and chassis set up.

The likes if Guliiami and scuffers have shown just how quick they can be
S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec

GBOBM

Post by GBOBM » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Mike didn't do too badly in the Vx either with a measly 350bhp. ;)
1999 MX5 1.8 SE - Pikey fun spec
2006 Focus 1.6TDCI - Dull, sensible, commuter spec
2006 Mondeo - Dull, sensible, towing spec
1992 Bay Mare - 1 Horsepower jumping machine