Plans for new F1 engine spec

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
campbell

Plans for new F1 engine spec

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:14 am

Sabre rattling, diversionary tactic, or true vision?

"F1 bosses to push for cheap engines"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34629481

What the hell is Bernie up to, I wonder. And what on earth is Max doing back on the scene?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

ryallm

Re: Plans for new F1 engine spec

Post by ryallm » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:35 am

Hard to know anything where Bernie is involved - the guy has been bonkers for years. Suspect it is just a ruse to force the existing manufacturers into supplying customer teams with latest spec engines at reasonable cost . I really do wish they'd get rid of all the complex hybrid technology. Pretty obvious what F1 needs - screaming 1000hp V8s, no electronic aids, wider tyres and track, massive cut in downforce. Job Done :)

robin
Jedi Master

Re: Plans for new F1 engine spec

Post by robin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:34 pm

The hybrid stuff is really clever and, in the long run, likely to be very relevant to road cars. If you get rid of it, you'll probably lose Mercedes and possibly Honda (some might say so what).

The rules are not made by Bernie or the FIA, so not really that relevant what they say. (Most) of the teams would have to agree for there to be a rule change; those teams currently using Mercedes and Honda are unlikely to agree to something that might give someone else a better, cheaper, engine unless it is also available to them, which it probably wouldn't be due to various contractual positions.

They should just get on with it and make their stuff better - Ferrari closed the gap and will do so again next year; Renault and Honda just need to do the same. It's pointless whinging about the costs of it because no matter what the engine rules, the big guys will have $$$ to spend, will spend it and then will want $$$ per engine.

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut