Le Mans 2016

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
StiflerMR2

Le Mans 2016

Post by StiflerMR2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Hey all,

Planning on attending Le Mans with the old boy this year but will be doing tickets / ferries / accommodation ourselves rather than a package (old boy thinks he can do it cheaper this way and he's not keen on camping :( )

I was just wondering if anyone had done this previously and had any good tips or websites to visit etc?

Any help gravely received!

TIA :thumbsup

squid

Re: Le Mans 2016

Post by squid » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 pm

I've booked ferries, hotels and tickets individually before and its fairly straightforward. Race/parking tickets can be booked on the ACO website - from memory, delivered at least a month before the event, and going direct to ACO has made it easier to get parking slots closer to the main grandstand and Arnage/Mulsanne. Hotels are more challenging/v expensive. I've gone south of Le Mans - getting to/from Mulsanne/Arnage from the D323 is relatively straightforward as the one-way system/queues work in your favour - Sable sur Sarthe is about 40 mins to Arnage - anything closer tends to be booked up by now. I normally use the municipal campsites S-SW of Arnage - plenty of space, hot showers etc and much more palatable if the weather is crap! Clearly not proper Le Mans camping, but I've done that, and I tend to go for the racing now, rather than the 'entertainment'!
Squid

S2 Elise Type 23
1.5 Reliant Scimitars
Chas Roberts 953 too shiny to use
Eddy Merckx Premium
GT Xixang on winter spikes

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for the information!

As it is going to be my first time I bottled it and booked through Travel Destinations at the porsche curves.

They seem to get great reviews and even have a private viewing bank....and a bar ; )

Looking forward to it :D

DJ

Post by DJ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:02 pm

StiflerMR2 wrote:I bottled it and booked through Travel Destinations at the porsche curves.

They seem to get great reviews and even have a private viewing bank....and a bar ; )

Looking forward to it :D
Just seen this thread. I used TD when I went to Le Mans in 2013 and also stayed at Porsche Curves. Couldn't fault them. Good location for viewing - the bank was public then, although quiet as it looked like you were entering the private TD campsite to access but has since been made completely reserved for those travelling with TD I believe. Big, private marquee for TD guests only opened early to late with bar, large screens, hot food and a band playing on the last night. Toilet/shower units were cleaned regularly although having a shower was a bit of a faff. Security on the entrance 24hrs and pretty good at checking your wristbands etc.

This website was quite useful: http://www.beermountain.com/

Get yourself a tram into Le Mans town for the driver parade as its is a great atmosphere. Also move about to different track viewing points including the pits and Dunlop bridge area. Also get the courtesy bus down to Arnage. We did this at about 3am and seeing the cars screaming out the forest at night was spectacular.
'03 Elise 111S - Sold :(
'55 Boxster S - Sold :(
'08 Exige S 240PP - Sold :(
'10 Evora NA - Sold :(
'12 Cayman R :)

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks DJ,

We plan to do a lot of walking, having the private veiwing is great but I really want to get the atmosphere of the start / finish and head over to mulsanne to see them at 200+ in the dead of night!

Really looking forward to it, not doing an F1 event this year so this is the big one this summer!

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:10 am

One day. One day...
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Broon

Post by Broon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:00 am

Just noticed this topic. I've done Porsche Curves with TD twice and am doing so again this year. Can't fault them at all. First year (with DJ) was in the standard camping area i.e bring your own tent. Last year and this year I'm doing the 'event tents' which means you just bring your toothbrush and pretty much everything else is provided for you. Its quite expensive mind you.

You won't be able to get onto Mulsanne straight at any time of the race as its closed off (unless you manage some black ops manoeuvers via the undergrowth and avoid the Gendarmes). However, the viewing section down at Arnage / Indianapolis is in the process of being changed for this year's race and looks like it could be a great place to watch. The approach to Indianapolis is now about the fastest section of the circuit and as DJ says, watching them screaming out the forest in the dead of night is fantastic.

You are dead right to move around and try different viewing areas. I tend not to bother too much with the start / finish straight although if you can get there for the start its pretty special - I would aim to arrive about midday to try and bag a semi decent spot - it does get very busy.

Things to definitely do -
Pit walk on Friday morning
Le Mans town for the drivers parade Friday evening (5pm I think)
Mad Friday shenanigans back around the circuit. If you are at Porsche Curves the road up to and past Beausejeur camping is a good spot
Terte Rouge corner (start of Mulsanne straight)
Arnage / Indianapolis in early hours of the morning
Read the Le Mans sock story on Pistonheads !!

Oh - the guide on the Clubarnage website is a pretty good read and full of useful / interesting tips

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 am

After speaking with Campbell to make sure it was ok to post the below link, there are some spaces still available through Bill(Drive It Day) to anyone wishing to go along. If anyone is interested, or requies more information then Bill's contact details are at the bottom of the link and just say that you heard about the event from myself. Bill also mentioned the possibility of a free bbq too.

http://www.classic-car-tours.com/luxury ... 4589959697

Steve.

Ps.
Campbell, what about a Le Mans Campaganza one year? :D

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:26 pm

May be! Big commitment though.

Or more achievably, the World Endurance Championship at Silverstone.

Can't make this year's but a couple of SE members are. Maybe 2017.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

289garage

Post by 289garage » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Gents

Thanks for allowing me to post on your forum, much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming those of you that are joining us for Drive It Day on 24 April :D

Regarding Le Mans, there are two events this year.
The 24 Hours and the Le Mans Classic
Both are great events, however the Le Mans Classic only takes place every two years.
We would be delighted to look after members of Scottish Elises at Chateau de Dobert,
See these links for full details.

http://www.classic-car-tours.com/le-mans-24-hours

http://www.classic-car-tours.com/le-mans-classic

We can help with tickets and parking too and have dinner HERE http://www.classic-car-tours.com/auberg ... unaudieres on race night !!!!

If you are interested in joining us, please contact me at info@classic-car-tours.com

Regards

Bill

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 pm

:welcome Bill.

Steve.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Welcome to SE Bill!
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

289garage

Post by 289garage » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 am

Morning Gents

I have two bedrooms remaining at Chateau de Dobert for the Le Mans 24 Hours weekend.
http://www.classic-car-tours.com/chateau-de-dobert

Rather than have these empty, I'd be happy to do a last minute deal for members of Scottish Elises.
If you are interested contact me on 07876 211785 or info@classic-car-tours.com to discuss the make up of your group (male/female) and what is available.

Bill