SLS- Round 1 Punching the Donkey

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
gambler

SLS- Round 1 Punching the Donkey

Post by gambler » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Oops I broke it again. The Donkey gets punched : The key to success in motorsport is consistency and the donkey and I have it in spades, 4 outings, 4 breakdowns. All different things though so i’m sure we will be ready for LeMans 24hrs ;) Like all of my great plans, the idea to do SLS came at the last minute and completely ill prepared. Less than a week before the event, will little seat time in the car, a broken water pipe (which runs inside the tub of the car and is a complete bitch to repair) pumped suspension and road tyres. That’s the racing driver excuses out of the way! Colin did a sterling job of getting the water pipe fixed, putting in some mega late nights as he had a stack of rally cars to get ready. Massive thanks to Colin for getting me out of a hole...for the millionth time.
Race day started with a proper man trip. I loaded my race kit into the car and drove to the circuit in the car I was going to be competing in (awarding myself 100 man points on the way) I must admit that I had already prepared a plan B for getting home. Andrew who had bravely offered to look after the car had brought along his trailer. This decision was very brave as Andrew already knew the car well after doing the conversion from standard to VVC . The engine has ran faultless since it was switched, it’s just the rest of the car that is pumped. John also helped me cover up some of the worst of the ‘race patina’ with some Flat Out Images stickers
Warm up – The idea here was just to get some laps on the car and not break anything. I just got used to the car on track. There were a few lock up’s from the front brakes snatching. I figured out that it was due to a lack of brake temps in the front and they would require a bit more heat in the out laps. A bit more brake temp and jobs a good un!
Practice – The idea on this session was just to push a bit harder and get a bit more of a feel for what the car was doing as I had not had a lot of track time in this car at Knockhill. I have driven thousands of laps in my time up at Knockers though, so no excuses for not knowing what way the track goes. After a few laps I had put in a 62.1 and went into the pits for a tyre pressure and temp check. I knew where more time could be found and had a quick chat with Andrew. He said,’ do you want to go out and have more fun and possibly break the car or shall we air on the side of caution’ and for once in my life, I listened to some useful advice and parked the car up.
Qualifying – The plan for qualifying was to get a safe banker lap in early with the tyres being a bit cooler. This would give us a good baseline for the single lap in the final, then push a bit harder. The banker lap was a very comfortable 62.6 and it gave me a better idea of how much temp I could get into the tyres in 1 lap and it gave a good idea of where more time could be found. I spent a couple of laps in traffic and then massive misfire and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the Donkey died. Andrew diagnosed a broken alternator, so with a lack of elastic trickery, we would be up the creek. Luckily he came up with a sneaky plan. We stole a battery from one of Andrew’s mates, stuck it in the car and planned to start it at the very last minute, before I went out for the final.
Final – Despite 4 years at Uni, I was unable to count the number of cars in front of me and started the car a bit prematurely.....Probably not for the 1st time in my life ;) I did struggle a bit with temperature in the rear tyres which is definitely something to work on for the next round, the car also put in a couple of misfires on the lap. One of them on the start finish straight which caught me completely by surprise, I thought it was the rev limiter and then I put the car in the wrong bloody gear ( Bloody rocket!) My excuses and I’m sticking to them! The final result was 4th place and 0.9 s from the win with a 63.4. To be perfectly honest, I think I was a bit distracted by the issues with the car in the final and showed less focus than I should have. I spent too much time worrying about the issues with the car rather than getting my head in the game before the final lap. Lesson learned from that one. I’m maybe a bit rusty from not competing in over a year and maybe spending too much time sliding about scaring people. It’s not a bad result considering zero time to prepare, suspension badly in need of a refresh and we were just running on road tyres rather than semi slick. Donkey and I will hopefully make some more SLS events this year as it was a really fun, well run event. It will all depend on timings with my real job and commitments to drive the Atom for Carlimits.
Well done to all the other guys and girl in the class for making it a very close, fun event.

Massive thanks to Colin for stepping in and getting the car repaired in time for the event and putting in some mega late nights and Andrew for supporting me at the event, loaning me the trailer to get home and getting the car to the stage where it’s actually safe to take out on track. Also thanks to Adam and Rory from SLS for dealing with my very late entry.

S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec
Astravan Sportive SE - Supervan spec

robin
Jedi Master

Re: SLS- Round 1 Punching the Donkey

Post by robin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Ah, you cannot keep a good donkey running :-) I know that coolant pipe well - we had to fix one in a car park in a spanish hotel once :-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm

First attempt was at the bottom of a mountain Robin when we had to turn around part way up it when we found it was going no where, then started trying to sort it out at the bottom.

Was that 2004 with John, or was it somewhere completely different that could have been anytime, any where, any place?

tut

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Good effort Scott, and good write up!

What spec is the car? What class are you in and what other cars are you up against?
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:25 pm

You can see that in David's post - it has all the class runners/times in it. Cheers, Robin
#bemoretut

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:33 pm

:thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Great effort Scott. I look forward to hearing how you get on when you have a little more prep time. :thumbsup :drive

BigD

Post by BigD » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Good write up Scott. :thumbsup

Been meaning to do a round for a while but lost track of the dates as I could've easily done that day. :cry: Annoyed at myself for not paying attention to it more. :roll:

Be nice to have more Lotus' in there. :thumbsup

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, but what's the entrance fee? I always think it's one of those things that if you're going to enter any sort of motorsport, the costs of doing it mean you really need to be committed; no road-spec car, even tweaked, is going to be competitive (unless you are the stig, of course).

Cheers,
Robin
#bemoretut

BigD

Post by BigD » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:06 am

robin wrote:Yeah, but what's the entrance fee? I always think it's one of those things that if you're going to enter any sort of motorsport, the costs of doing it mean you really need to be committed; no road-spec car, even tweaked, is going to be competitive (unless you are the stig, of course).

Cheers,
Robin
Entrace fee is just £185 per round if doing single events I think.

I know what you mean but with the power to weight rules that should limit it slightly and OK a roadcar won't do well in the same class as a full on race car but it should still be a lot of fun. The biggest thing I enjoyed about doing Time Attack (way back when....) was the fact that you really could go flat out and not get black flagged for driving dangerously. There were no real power classes in TA and that's the main attraction to SLS for me is that it is more even......

David

Post by David » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:18 am

robin wrote:Yeah, but what's the entrance fee? I always think it's one of those things that if you're going to enter any sort of motorsport, the costs of doing it mean you really need to be committed; no road-spec car, even tweaked, is going to be competitive (unless you are the stig, of course).

Cheers,
Robin
If it's taxed, mot'd and driven to the event then it can be put in the Road Car Class and there's a trophy per event, and mini championship for that too.

http://www.superlapscotland.co.uk/championship.htm
Caterham - R400
Mini Cooper

Duratec in Detail
flickr
Youtube
facebook

BigD

Post by BigD » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:22 am

David wrote:

Cheers,
Robin
If it's taxed, mot'd and driven to the event then it can be put in the Road Car Class and there's a trophy per event, and mini championship for that too.

Saw that too David so is the road car class a class within a class? For example if I'm in class D (which is where I think I'd be) there is class D and class D road cars or is it just one big class for road cars?

Like I say I'm out of touch with all the regs.....

BigD

Post by BigD » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:24 am

BigD wrote:
David wrote:

Cheers,
Robin

Saw that too David so is the road car class a class within a class? For example if I'm in class D (which is where I think I'd be) there is class D and class D road cars or is it just one big class for road cars?

Like I say I'm out of touch with all the regs.....
Think I found it, D1 is road cars and D2 is modified. Got it.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:15 am

I quite fancy go at sls as well, main issue for me (aside from lack of talent) is my work shifts mean I miss majority of events but single round could be good.
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2019 Porsche 718 GT4
2018 VW Transporter T6 (bike shed :) )

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I think you get 20% off your first entry if you are new to SLS, and it's £285 if you enter a double header weekend. So if you haven't competed in SLS before, you could do the next two rounds (reverse Saturday, clockwise Sunday) for around £230. Obviously, you would need a race suit, suitable helmet and gloves etc., but these would last you many years.