Karting

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
rawsco

Karting

Post by rawsco » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:27 pm

OK I was working on my happy plan today while waiting on my login details for yet another depressing IT project in a bank... and one of the key things in there is my desire to do some motor racing. At the ripe old age of 37 and no motor racing experience I don't think I'm going to get snapped up by Red Bull Racing any time soon. Ive really been enjoying track days but they aren't satisfying my competitive nature, nor am I willing to risk pushing a 30k motor to and beyond its limits at something like SLS. So naturally i think trying a season or two at karting might be something i could have a go at. It would mean giving up track days and diverting track day budget to karting. Might even mean giving up the lotus (which it part of the happy plan in a couple of years any way for a new house). Im just curious as to the typical costs associated in getting started and running a kart over a typical kart season. I'd likely have to acquire all the bits and bobs over a number of months ahead of getting going.

What say the SE masters of knowledge and sound givers of debatable and sometimes questionable advice ;-)
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

Stu160

Re: Karting

Post by Stu160 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi Ross

It depends on what you plan on racing, as there are several different ways to go, with several different budgets to go with them.
Starting at the lower end of the scale, prokart.
Based at Crail , they run one meeting a month, Saturday practice, and Sunday race, with practice, then 15mins qualifying, then 6 15 minute races. Based on the results from the previous race, ie qualify p1 and you start p1, finish the race p3 then you start the next race p3. There are 10 rounds to the championship, with on drop round, so best 9 count.
The numbers have been rising again this year, with 15 karts on the grid last meeting, and it's all run with a friendly helpful bunch of guys and girls. With regards to cost, as with most club level karting, the rules are designed to keep outlay to a minimum. 3 sets of tyres to the season at £130 per set. Also, no wets, so if it rains, you are all still on slicks. Engines are tightly controlled, and standard, they cost an out £500: for a pair, as you need to change the cam, and exhausts, and fit clutches. They cost £117 each before the parts needed. Chassis can vary from a complete kart, with engines from about £6-700 , to a nearly new chassis for £2500, or new for just over £30000. So all brand new kit will be £3500.
I race in this class, with anearly new MS chassis, and am currently leading the championship.

Next step, also at Crail, is the open club championship, again non MSA, but using the Rotax Max 2 stoke engine. So about 30hp against the prokarts 14hp.
Again , a kart can cost as little as £1200, ready to go at entry level, up to £3500 for a new chassis, and £2000 for a new engine, so more expensive than the prokart. Running costs are also higher, the use more fuel, about 20-30l for a weekend. You are allowed 10 tyres for the season, 2 sets plus 2 extra, can be front or rear, to last the 6 rounds.again £130 a set. The engine are good for around 20 hrs before rebuild, they will run for longer, but if you are just doing Crail, with practice days, then that's a full season, with rebuilds about £400.

Grids this year and last year have been strong, with 25-30 karts, so very busy.

I also race in this class, finishing 2nd in non MSA last year, but have missed a round this year, so a bit further back, but still enjoying it.

You will also need tyres to practice on, as you won't want to put any extra laps on your race tyres, so either new, or you can buy parts worn from eBay etc, so a bit cheaper.
After that, you get your MSA licence, and go racing , that's when it gets more expensive, tyres every meeting, etc.

Entry fees for Crail good at £30 per race. It's all good fun and like both classes, they are different, but both good.
If I had to give you my advice, start in prokart, it will teach you drive smoother, as the power of Rotax can make it more difficult to learn , but the Rotax is fun.

There are many manufacturers of chassis for Rotax, Tony being the mast popular at Crail, but also the most expensive. I use a Praga, cost me £1200 only one race old, and I know Birrel sell new chassis for about £1800 new, and they are also winning at Larkhall, with top drivers.

Best thing to do is to pop along and have a look, and talk to people, ask the people at the meetings, before you buy anything, there will be a lot of things out there that you don't want to buy.....

Prokart is the 4th Sunday of the month, and rotax is the 1st Sunday of the month.

Hope this gives you an idea of the costs, it's not really that bad,, in fact it cost more to get there and stay for the weekend, some use vans, trailers, some campor use caravans, go home or use hotels.

Cheers

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 am

Lovely insight Stu

[avoiding any glimmer of scheming about moving James from Soapbox to Prokart next season...] =8-o
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Nice write up.

S
:thumbsup
W213 All Terrain

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Sanjoy wrote:Nice write up.

S
:withstupid

Steve.

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Wow thanks Stu, handy info there so in summary 2-4K to get started on new stuff then what about a grand or two a year to run it I guess. I might pick your brains further at some point. Cheers again!
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Sanjoy wrote:Nice write up.

S
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:06 pm

rawsco wrote:Wow thanks Stu, handy info there so in summary 2-4K to get started on new stuff then what about a grand or two a year to run it I guess. I might pick your brains further at some point. Cheers again!
Sounds about right, just give me a shout if you need any more info, or want to come along for a look

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

p4ilip

Post by p4ilip » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:12 am

Hi, I'd had similar thoughts, I think a lot of people must. I'd considered the different championships at knockhill but I think they all require a bit of space, to store your car trailer and van. Time, to spend working on car and and Costs, I'm pretty sure I'd end up damaging panels. Like Tom cruise said 'Just a bit of rubbing Harry and rubbings racing' Dmax and club 100 which looks quite good. It's not super cheap but could allow you to keep your Lotus and race in a championship without the associated cost of buying a van and all the tools and equipment etc I'm keen on trying this out in October if anyone else wants to go and form a Lotus team. I'm happy to share travel costs if anyone fancies it? Probably four people would be a good number.
Phil.

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Back in the day I had a proKart and it lived at raceland, you could pay them to keep it there, was more of a play thing rather than competing, I used it just about every weekend until they stopped storing owner karts and I had to buy a trailer and towbar, did that for a while but then the stopped the owner driver sessions so I sold it. Did one of their 24 hr endurance races, that was a great experience with a Le-mans style running start.. I think back then we were lapping in the mid to high 50's, I was also 3-4 stone lighter lol :oops:
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:41 am

That is really interesting Stu , thanks for the info too.

Does driver weight make any difference to this class and if it does are the karts weighted / handicapped ?

Just curious. Would imagine a 14 year old kid has a competitive advantage for example.

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:13 pm

Every class well have its own minimum weight, for example Rotax Max is 162kg, so after a race, the kart and driver goes over the scales, and has to be a minimum of 162kg. If you go over at 161.9kg, then that's an exclusion. Thus means that a lighter driver has to use extra fuel, or lead to make the weight. It works out roughly about 11 stone to be at that weight. If you are over, you can spend some money and get lightweight parts, carbon fibre bits, lightweight battery, lightweight suit etc. Extra weight does make a difference, I think 5kg, at a guess from my testing, works out about 0.2 seconds.

The classes also have age limits,

Stuart
S1 S160
Caterham 310R