carwow

Anything goes in here.....
scott_e

carwow

Post by scott_e » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Anyone purchased a car using CARWOW ?

"Strastone Lotus" used to be on there but recently withdrew but all major marques are available.

Some of the discounts look superb. Apparently they are shaking up the market a little.

thesurfbus

Re: carwow

Post by thesurfbus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Was going to 2 years ago when the wife bought a new Merc A Class, but I said to the salesman (Willowbrae) that we could get a 15% discount through Carwow and they knocked that off the price of the car, makes a good negotiating tool.
Was back in the Merc garage looking at a C Class estate, and they knocked almost £10k off the list price without much negotiation.
Lotus Elise 220 S

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Used CarWow to get a quote when I was looking at a new Golf R, but in the end went for the RS4 instead.

Found it as a useful negotiation tool. Was up front with the VW dealership so the dealership knew that they had to be pretty competitive if I was to sign on the dotted line.

However my wife's old colleague used it for an Audi TT and sure he found it to be a good experience.

Sure you are essentially dealing with the 3rd party and CarWow is acting as the introduction agent.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm

I asked Carwow for a quote for a New MINI I was considering (before bottling it and not buying a brand new car).

My quote from John Clark in Dundee was cheaper overall, and the finance deal through MINI would have been the icing on the cake.
The Carwow price was based on saving from the RRP, but once manufacturer deposit contribution and special offer on some options were taken into account, the dealers quoting via Carwow were more expensive basically.

I ended up shopping for a used one instead as my budget meant new would have been on a PCP deal, and I prefer to own outright at some point.

I guess as with everything, you need to try different routes to find what suits you best.

Chris
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Are you sure that's right Chris?
When using carwow you get a quote from a dealer, and all the dealers have access to manufacturer contributions, finance deals etc.

Doesn't mean a local dealer can't be cheaper but it's unusual.

It is usual for them however to state that the price they quote is based on you taking a PCP agreement and if you don't take that you must add £X to the quoted price. Obviously that is the deposit contribution being factored in.
Easy way around that is to buy on PCP and then pay it off straight away before you incur any interest.

in response to the original question my cousin has used Carwow and Drive the deal and found them both to be great.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

renmure

Post by renmure » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 pm

I tried Carwow when I was shopping for my Type-R and the majority of the dealers who got back to me were all within about £200 of each other. When I went into the local dealer for a face-to-face chat they were surprisingly upfront about the price point they made no money on the sale but agreed to sell me a car at that price. There was only another £200(ish) in it so I came away from it thinking that, at least for Type-R's, the Carwow price was right down to the bone.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Yep. I don't know if the other dealers perhaps weren't aware of a new Mini deal that have free nav with the pack I spec'd, and that the Mini dealer system only charged 700 quid extra to upgrade that nav to the larger nav pack, which is a £2000 option on the list.
The prices were close, could simply be that for the exact spec I wanted, it came out that way.
Didn't get as far as discussing finance with any carwow dealer, obviously since its so simple, you'd be crazy not to try it if buying new.

Either way, maybe next time for me ;)
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...