Buying an S1 elise

Anything goes in here.....
s29ttc

Buying an S1 elise

Post by s29ttc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Loan should be in this week so I am planning on going to look this weekend at one thats caught my eye if it is still available. I have done a few searches on here but it seemed that the info was dotted around. I looked at loads of various things, and spoke to a few people and came up with a list of things to look out for. I thought I would put them down for future reference for people on the forum and if anyone has any other information they can add it would be helpful for me and in future for people reading. Thanks :D

Head Gasket - Make sure when you go to buy the engine is stone cold before start up. If it is warm the owner may have warmed up which expands the engine and could seal a gap. Look out for any blue smoke etc coming from the engine. Any of these problems walk away the head gasket might be ready to go.

Floor Corrosion - A lot of owners have noticed a problem with the footwells corroding under the mat stuck to the floor. Due to the water being trapped underneath these mats it can cause the floor to start corroding. Check this because there could be a cost of replacing the floor if this has happened. Some cars for sale will have it recalled and the floor has already been replaced.

Boot catch - The boot catch has a habbit of sticking and a few owners have to rip the back wheel liner off or at worst drill a hole behind the number plate to get it back open. Check that it opens ok and is not stiff. If you buy its recommended to spray some WD40 or grease it up to prevent sticking. Also I have heard people talk about attaching a string somewhere but I am sure someone will elaborate.

The "Red Hose" - When buying the elise the older model I think 98 and before had the red clutch hose. A lot of people uprate this to the braided hose and the newer models come with this. On hot days the hose heat up and softened which made it hard/impossible to change gear.

Steering Rack - There seems to be some problems with the steering rack with some elises, this can be felt if you take the car a test drive. The steering should be very responsive.

Cluth Pedal - Make sure the clutch is not stiff, sit in car make sure it goes into gear. This is meant to be due to lubrication problems too again keep it well lubricated.

Oil cap and dip stick - Take the oil cap off and check for substance that looks like mayo or butter walk away if this is found (I think thats oil and water mixing?? ......someone will elaborate) Also take out the dipstick and check that it is not milky.

Starter Motor - Sometimes the starter motors can be sticky this will be seen when you start the car up.

Throttle body - If the engine is idling at high revs usually a problem with the throttle body. A lot of people have replaced this with an aluminium one to prevent this.

Suspension - Heard lots of people talk about suspension and upgrading certain parts, and replacing certain parts which wear quick. Sure someone will elaborate as I am not too sure about this part. Check that the mounts are not twisted or damaged when checking the suspension.

Chasis - Any chasis damage walk away as this is almost unrepairable.

Look out for servicing also as there are a few types. The expensive one is the cambelt service and if this is done close to when you looking at the car then its always a bonus.

Headlight covers are a bonus as they have a tendency to corrode or be damaged with stones. Also with the elise being so low it has to be expected to see lots of stonechips. One without could suggest accident repair or else the owner may have opted for a touch up, one worth asking. Some come with a protective film to reduce stone chips.

I have probably missed loads but I can't think of anything else. I hope others can add to this. Cheers :thumbsup
Last edited by s29ttc on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

Dominic

Re: Buying an S1 elise

Post by Dominic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Accordong to VXjon, main buying criteria;

Is it a pretty colour?

Or DDtB;

Can I fit more stripes and badges?

:leave
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

The_Rossatron

Post by The_Rossatron » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:19 pm

I'd add when checking out the suspension look for any evidence that the mounts haven't been twisted or accident damaged, any chassis damage is a real no-no as it's pretty much unrepairable.
"There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now."
Ferrari F355, Fiat Panda 100HP, Rover Mini Cooper

http://www.allflashnocash.com

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:25 pm

The_Rossatron wrote:I'd add when checking out the suspension look for any evidence that the mounts haven't been twisted or accident damaged, any chassis damage is a real no-no as it's pretty much unrepairable.
Very good point that I missed thanks. :mrgreen:

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Try and take a clever person

Though where the hell you'll find one of those round here is another point
Landrover 90 = Muddy shed spec
Fiat panda = Couldn't care less spec
Landrover ?? = Muddy shrek spec
Unimog 404S = Very slow silly offroader spec
Kubota F1900 = Snowplough spec

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:33 pm

list looked quite comprehensive.

Worth getting the reg plate and then posting on here to see if anyone knows the cars history.

Have you got a link to it?

Have you got insurance sorted out potentially also?
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

RDH

Post by RDH » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Andy G wrote:list looked quite comprehensive.

Worth getting the reg plate and then posting on here to see if anyone knows the cars history.

Have you got a link to it?

Have you got insurance sorted out potentially also?
Agreed - insurance may be the killer.

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Insurance was sorted. Extra £500 for the 10 month remaining on my policy! :thumbsup

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Best advice is take someone with you, nothing cuts through the bull quicker than a prospective owner turning up in an Elise with an old owner ;)

I would also check for an oil stained (Or a far too clean!) undertray, its not easy to see the upper surface of it but will show any engine or gearbox leaks.

When they take you out for a drive check how they treat it. Encourage them to show you what it can do, see how they treat it from cold. The correct reply should be "in about 10 mins it will be hot enough for thrashing" will give a measure of their awareness of the need to warm up properly. Warm up is not when the temp gauge reads 80 but about 5-10 mins after that. :thumbsup
1994 Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo - Funky Interior Spec
2004 Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah very good point. The problem is this elise is 4 hours away haha. My mate who is a mechanic is coming to have a look over it with me so hopefully any problems will be spotted by him and I have a bit of knowledge through reading and speaking to folk. Also work as an engineer so I am technically minded aswell and will have a good look around the car. I obviously do not want to rush and buy something that will cause problems day in day out. :mrgreen:

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Where is it?
There are friendly owners all over.

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Rich H wrote:Where is it?
There are friendly owners all over.
This ones in Derbyshire down south, dont think it will stick around for long though!

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Try MILOC see if anyone is selling it/knows it will take a look for you?

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Not sure where the car has came from though. Its a guy that runs a company that has got it not the actual owner. Thought about it for a bit. The guy has beeen buying and selling them for 20 odd years and Ive spoke to him for good period of time. He sat explained what to look out for with them and stuff and seems a very genuine guy. Puts confidence in buying off him and I prosume there could be some come back if anything went wrong. Also I think less likely to get a "bad one" as he wouldnt want his company to have a bad name. There could be benifits from buying privately aswell as I guess the owner would have a clearer understanding of its past!

jj

Post by jj » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Post a link to it so we can see from photos if anything is different/changed/suspicious.