Runabout Opinions? (NLC)

Anything goes in here.....
Fluoxetine

Runabout Opinions? (NLC)

Post by Fluoxetine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 am

Looking to chop my 156 SW in...It's been a great car, really practical and surprisingly fun to drive...But my circumstances have changed somewhat over the past few months, and I don't *need* a full size estate car as everyday transport, and fancy something new / cheaper to pootle about in...

Considering a Fiat Panda 100HP, or a Suzuki Swift Sport...

Any opinions?

The Panda seems favoured by Evo, and gets a half decent write up...Although the Swift Sport looks good (espec. in black), and gets good reviews too...

(Much as I'd love another S1 Elise, I need to keep my sensible head on for the next couple of years... :wink: )

Cheers,

Ross.

Corranga

Re: Runabout Opinions? (NLC)

Post by Corranga » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:52 am

Buy an S1, great MPG, loads of space for 2 people, looks amazing, drives amazing... ;)

I prefer the Swift 5 door to the 3 door, I thnik it looks a bit out of proportion, unfortunatly they only do 5door Sports in Japan...

The Panda 100HP was high (top) of my list for a daily hack, then I realised that spending a bit over 8 1/2k on a 'cheap' daily runner wasn't actualy that cheap and bought an old Punto.

As far as cheap, small, fun cars go, I reckon those 2 are probably the best pair, and if you can't choose between them in any other way, go for a drive and consider the extra space of the Swift (Panda is a dedicated 4 seater, no central belt for example) or extra fun of the Panda.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 am

Either option looks pretty good.

I would go for the jap, with a view to getting a better built car.

Other option; do a 'McKean'; get a sport Ka :lol: I know it's a bit girly, but gets decent write ups.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

holly

Post by holly » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 am

what about a corsa :lol:
im selling mine, its a wee beast! :damnfunny :damnfunny

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:45 am

Clio ? I have had mine for 8+ Years now and it's a shed but after sitting for 2 years i charged the battery (that had been sitting in it for 2 years) and it started first time :D yes it's a bag of crap but it's cheap to run and cheap to replace the bits that fall off.

Ka and Swift are also good options
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 am

BiggestNizzy wrote:Clio ? I have had mine for 8+ Years now and it's a shed but after sitting for 2 years i charged the battery (that had been sitting in it for 2 years) and it started first time :D yes it's a bag of crap but it's cheap to run and cheap to replace the bits that fall off.

If buying a 'frenchie', budget for AA or RAC membership :thumbsup

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 am

Ha ha...Having ran a Renault Avantime for a year on PCH (it was verrrrrrry cheap! :) ), I think I'll give anything French a miss...

(and cheers for the offer of the Corsa, Holly, but my mate sells them for Vauxhall, and I've spent enough time in them to know they aren't really for me... :wink: )

Some good opinions though - I like the Ka, but feel it's getting on a bit and is about to be replaced by a new model in the next few months...Neil's Sport Ka seems a giggle, but I'd rather look at a Fiesta ST if considering a small Ford, and that would kind of defeat the purpose of a cheap runabout, with its 2 litre engine... :?

Anyway, the 100HP is now coming in at £6-6.5k for a one year old car, and the Swift is about £1k more - But shouldn't depreciate as much as the Fiat...(?)

I guess I'll need to give both a shot, and see what suits...Haven't been car shopping for a couple of years! :D

Cheers,

Ross.

P.S. Yes, I know you can buy an S1 for the budget discussed, but it'll likely need £2-3k spent on it replacing suspension, bushes, tyres, wheel bearings, steering rack, brakes, HG etc etc etc... :twisted:

Neil72

Post by Neil72 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:56 am

Fabia VRs ?

Lupo GTi ?

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:11 am

Neil72 wrote:Fabia VRs ?

Lupo GTi ?
I love the Lupo GTi's, but decent ones are still very pricey.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:26 am

Dominic wrote:
BiggestNizzy wrote:Clio ? I have had mine for 8+ Years now and it's a shed but after sitting for 2 years i charged the battery (that had been sitting in it for 2 years) and it started first time :D yes it's a bag of crap but it's cheap to run and cheap to replace the bits that fall off.

Why?

I've owned lots of French cars over many years (ok, all Pugs) and have only been let down once, and that was by bodged workmanship. Trim might get rattly (though it isn't yet in my latest froggy car) but I've never had a problem with them breaking.

I'd have a mini cooper personally. I did'nt like them at first, but after using one for over a year and then seeing a girl with a swift for a while, they're not in the same league IMO.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 am

woody wrote:
Dominic wrote:

Why?

I've owned lots of French cars over many years (ok, all Pugs) and have only been let down once, and that was by bodged workmanship. Trim might get rattly (though it isn't yet in my latest froggy car) but I've never had a problem with them breaking.

I'd have a mini cooper personally. I did'nt like them at first, but after using one for over a year and then seeing a girl with a swift for a while, they're not in the same league IMO.
My experience of french cars has not been great; my clio spent at least 2 days a week, EVERY week, in the garage during the last 3 months of ownership :evil: . Other experience has been of poor build quaility; bits falling off :cry: Great fun cars, sweet handling, but poor reliability and build quality... IMHO :)

P.S. I don't like new minis; I respect that they are a good drive, but can't stand the image that comes with them, or the fact that the boot is smaller than that of the orignal mini.... not progress in my mind. :lol:

woody

Post by woody » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:53 am

I agree, though I think of them more as mini BMW's now rather than as a successor to the mini.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am

woody wrote:I agree, though I think of them more as mini BMW's now rather than as a successor to the mini.
I would love to see a true sucessor to the classic mini; small, well packaged, light, safe & fun to drive. Some new cars come close, but don't have the same classic style or appeal.

meatball

Post by meatball » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Dominic wrote:
Neil72 wrote:Fabia VRs ?

Lupo GTi ?
I love the Lupo GTi's, but decent ones are still very pricey.
Me likey!

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:25 pm

shooomer wrote:Vanquish is a top runabout :thumbsup

:damnfunny knob :damnfunny