SE's new instructor

Anything goes in here.....
mckeann

SE's new instructor

Post by mckeann » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:33 pm

well, i learnt alot from sarah on yesterdays trackday. She's a very good instructor, obviously knows a lot about the circuit and driving it, but more importantly, she's able to explain WHY what she is telling you works

i've been round knockhill loads in the past 2 years, but i know how blinkered you can become as you settle into your ways.

Most of sarah's criticism of my driving was that i was a tad aggresive on the controls, and that a few of my lines could have been tweaked.

I blame the aggresiveness on 2 things. firstly, the fact that i was the first out for instruction, and hadnt settled into the track yet, having only 4 laps to warm up. I noticed myself that i was being much smoother later on, and thats more like normal to be honest. secondly, i had just got the car back from Falkland performance on friday morning (thats a whole thread to itself tho). they had reset the Geo of my car without asking, so i have no idea what its set to, but to say the car was tailhappy is a massive understatement. I was struggling to get the car turned in to the high speed stuff, so was being more aggresive, but getting oversteer on the apex and exit.

the lines things were mistakes that i had been making for years. I wont give away all her secret lines , as you should really book on with sarah and learn for yourself, but suffice to say, i'll definately be booking on for more instruction at future tracknights.

cheers

neil

kenny

Post by kenny » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Had a brief chat with Sarah in the pit lane and I'll definately be investing in some instruction.

If she can teach a big diddy like Neil to drive she must be good :mrgreen:

The_Rossatron

Post by The_Rossatron » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Another thumbs up for Sarah from me too. Very helpful stuff for an extreme rookie like myself, definately need a few more though!
"There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now."
Ferrari F355, Fiat Panda 100HP, Rover Mini Cooper

http://www.allflashnocash.com

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:47 am

yes I'd like to thank Sarah as well. Well worth the money, and she is an excellent instructor. I was all over the shop to start with (first trackday in my new S1, and I'd wound myself up thinking there would be a huge/horrendous difference between Ed's exige and my new car) and the instruction really helped. Also realised how wrong my lines were which was reallly unsettling the car.

So, thanks Sarah. :thumbsup :thumbsup . Money well spent. :D :D
1995 Volvo 940SE Estate

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:27 am

I was speaking to Sasha on Friday, and it seems that Sarah will not be giving any more instruction sessions, at least not in the same format that these were done.

However I presume that you could still arrange private tuition with her, as you can with any of the KH instuctors.

tut

Shug

Post by Shug » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 am

Sahsa Say why? Surely KH aren't getting their knickers in a twist about it.... :?
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Mr Spook

Post by Mr Spook » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:44 pm

While I was going round with Sarah we got checkered flaged and she had to go into the building.
We continued the session, however at the end she said that she'd been told not to do any more.
Don't know the reasons given and don't see why Knockhill could be against it.
Thought it was a great intro to someone like me who has never been on track before. After the 20 minutes I now want to do a full hour some other time, something I might not have thought about doing before.

On a possitive note, the 20 minutes were great and thought Sarah was a very good instructor. Patient and very good at explaining what I should be doing.

Digital

Post by Digital » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:00 pm

I would very much liked to have had some instruction while I was there, I can't see why KH would have a problem with anyone instructing? Surely if it's an arrangement between pupil and instructor they shouldn't be trying to intervene? :?
2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Exige S2

kenny

Post by kenny » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Even if Knockhill has put a stop to it in some way, Sarah could always arrange instruction through the forum for the trackdays. Nothing to stop a driver taking out passengers as yet (with a wee payment to special passengers) :wink:

I think the feedback so far has been 100% positive so I hope Sarah will be along soon to let us know.

mac

Post by mac » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:46 pm

All I can think of was because it was a SIDC organised day and they normally come with a Kh instructor (I'd imagine that Kh are paid for this service) whereas this time the instruction was "freelance".

Perhaps Kh think she is taking some revenue away from them - perhaps it would be OK to instruct on a day that has no and hasn't had an instructor.

2p

Mac
S2 Elise (cobalt blue with stripes) - toy spec
Caterham 7 - hillclimb spec
Yamaha Thundercat - 2 wheeled toy spec

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:34 pm

mac wrote:All I can think of was because it was a SIDC organised day and they normally come with a Kh instructor

2p

Mac
I'd agree with that if that was actually the case. The first year i did trackdays, knockhill would offer instruction on there tracknights. The past 2 years they havent. I have asked many times since, only to be told there wasnt enough of a market for it. thats why i approached sarah in the first place. I'm not very happy that they have done what they've done, but thats knockhill for you, VERY money driven, even if it shoots them in the foot for more return custom.

As it is, the only way to get on track instruction at Knockhill is to book on there hyperformance course. That'll cost you £100 for 25 laps. So about 4 times the price of what we paid on friday. Hmmm. bargain. :evil:

mac

Post by mac » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:44 pm

Yeah - but as I said, there is ALWAYs a KH instructor available at SIDC days, it's free of charge to us so I assume that the cost of the instructor is absorbed by the cost of the place.

I think they have thrown the toys out of the pram because their KH instructor was replaced by Sarah.

Perhaps she'll post up a reason soon.

Mac

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:06 pm

why is it never advertised that there is an instructor on hand????

mac

Post by mac » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:18 pm

Cos your ears are painted on?????? :)

John Stewart always mentions that their is an instructor available "please feel free to use him, even if you been round here 1000 times you'll could still learn" or word to that effect.

Mac

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:18 pm

yep, i heard him say exactly that on friday as he pointed to sarah and she waved back.