Vans (Merc Vito)

Anything goes in here.....
tuscan_thunder

Vans (Merc Vito)

Post by tuscan_thunder » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Anyone experience with newer versions?

We used to have an older one and it was awesome.

Looking for a newer one now (2008 or newer): considered a 120cdi (V6 diesel) but it seems to be a bit heavy on fuel going by some online reading - anyone any real world experience with regard to fuel and general running?

(The model line up seems to be a bit confusing with 111cdi and 115cdi and various other random numbers)

thanks in advance
Mair throttle, less brake

tuscan_thunder

Re: Vans (Merc Vito)

Post by tuscan_thunder » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 am

Anybody?

Open to other suggestions too: I've heard very mixed things about VWs; some folk swear buy them, others swear at them.....

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 pm

VW everytime. Ive had mine 2 years it had 105K on the clock think its pushing 130k now, never let me down once. think i had to change the brake light bulb about 6 months ago.

Mine was a 174 and i got it chipped to 205 with over 400nM :lol: Im in no hurry to change it any time soon, although the new ones do look nice. the only thing i miss is a good heater (mine takes 10 minutes to heat the van on a cold morning) and heated seats.

If you want a shotty give me a shout.
"Here for a good time not a long time"

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Interesting.

My sparky had a VW and had no end of issues; new box, injectors etc.

He's onto a Vito and loves it.

But then there's you and a few other guys who've run VWs with no issues at all.

What kind of mpg are you getting Scotty?

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 pm

£115 to fill and i get approx 400 miles. thats round town or towing the 2-11 never really paid much attention to it as i dont have the computer dash that does temp, mpg etc.

my van has 40mm lowered and sitting on 20's 8)
"Here for a good time not a long time"

tuscan_thunder

Post by tuscan_thunder » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:16 pm

does that work out at 22mpg?

if it's round town and towing that's maybe not too bad but I was thinking mid 30s would be more normal?

I did see your van, think it was last weekend, you were beside Andersons in Inverurie.

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Scotty C wrote:VW everytime.
:withstupid

Had VW Transporters for the last 10 years or so all covering over 100k every 3 years. Last one being a 130bhp Kombi covered over 150k with out a problem which is impressive as they don't get a easy life :blackeye

Picked up a new 180bhp Kombi about 6 months ago which has done 20k.......awesome! (in van terms :lol: ) Doing mainly motorway miles gets about 30mpg but normally has over half a ton in the rear.

We 2 of the old Vito's both of which needed new engines plus loads of other problems!

Look at the 120cdi when picking up the last Transporter but read they only got 20ish mpg, along with the previous problems we have had a Transporter was bought.

The one thing the Vito has going for it over the Transporter IMO is RWD, however saying that the new 180bhp with turbos does not boost like the old ones or even the new 140bhp (ran for 10k) therefore far less wheelspin! My 140bhp needed front tyres at 10k where as the 180 is still on the originals after 20k with prob 5k lift in them which is quite a difference!

Vito random numbers relate to the power out puts, 111= 110 bhp, 115=150bhp and of course the 120cdi=200bhp
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

xtreme

Vans (Merc Vito)

Post by xtreme » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Have had a 111 Cdi duo liner for last 7 years, love it, great to drive (for a van!), comfy long distances, quick, very versatile with seats in back or removed, haven't been the gentlest with it but been reliable (couple of minor niggles but nothing major) and still going strong!

Duo liner option def a bonus as the added seats are great (6 dearer), although you do end up doing a lot of airport runs!!!

Def recommended!

MacK

Post by MacK » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Just stumbled on this thread.

I have a Vito, 109Cdi, SWB.

had it for just about 12 months now.
Done over 20 thousand miles.
Spent a bit on it....

I got it with just over 100 thousand miles on it, it's an '05 plate.
It's a bit rusty in places which doesn't look too good, but I'm eventually getting round to fixing them.

Engine and gearbox wise it's been fine, except for an issue with the turbo wastegate (I think) sometimes sticking and bringing on the engine warning light, which cuts power and revs, but is still very driveable. It clears itself if not running at constant high revs (i.e motorway 70+)

I've had to replace the brake calipers all round, partly we suspect due the the weather last winter, and one coil spring broke due to freezing.

I've not acurately worked out the mpg but I've not yet spent £100 to fill the tank, and I'll get up to 450miles to a tank with mixed driving.

I'd consider getting another one when the time comes.
Green Subaru Impreza Turbo, a 'classic'.

Silver Jeep Cherokee 2.5 TD, on SORN spec...

Black Disco 3, black van man spec...