Malt Whisky thread

Anything goes in here.....
Sanjøy

Malt Whisky thread

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Rather than having to read SELOCs Whiskey thread I thought I would start one here. Could give the next Edinbeers a nice slant :)

Picked up a wee early xmas present for myself of a bottle Talisker '57 for <£40 via quidco this week. Search for whiskey Exchange on Quidco.

A rather annoying SEer managed to get one of the 300 bottles of 40 year old Glenbridge that went on sale this morning at 6am for a song!

I have asked on the Lagavulin Facebook page but does anyone know what is going on with their pricing and supply ? Not seeing any at the airport and was nearly £60 last time I had a poke about the supermarket.

S :cheers
W213 All Terrain

ed

Re: Malt Whisky thread

Post by ed » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Good thread :thumbsup

It was 3000 bottles and i've decided ill buy the other one so we can drink one and keep the other. :wink: 8) :thumbsup
Dont normally like Speysides but for the money I couldnt resist. The tasting notes suggest its good stuff!

As per text 57 degrees is stonking. I got a bottle of Lagvulin 16 for about £42 in Asda.

Jura (Origin and Superstition) are an excellent tipple IMHO and can be found for as little as £20 in Tescos etc. 10 yr talisker ive had for £22 in Tesco.

Picked up a 21 yr old Old Pulteney for £55 in duty free the day it won Whisky of the Year 2012. Should have bought more......

Think it could get messy!!!! :cheers
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:13 pm

In a nice position that no matter what others I try, I always come back to Laphroaig. Lagavulin is also a favourite and very similar, Port Ellon was superb but has now closed down.

As I do not drink as much of them as I used to, the collection from you generous people had built up nicely, but just checked and I reckon there is an Islay thief about.

tut

duggiesmith

Post by duggiesmith » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:25 pm

:damnfunny
I've got a bottle of Port Ellen 27yo squirreled away. It was bought about 5 years ago with every intention of being drunk, but every time I check it goes up in value, so finding it harder to justify opening it. Maybe my 50th :thumbsup

I always make a point of visiting the whisky section whenever I'm in a supermarket. There will always be something on offer, so grab them when I can.

Mainly an Islay malt fan, but I believe there is no such thing as a bad single malt, only good ones and better ones :lol:

Just getting stuck into a Laphroaig Quarter Cask now :beer
Duggie

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't.

Aubergine Elise S

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm

duggiesmith wrote:I believe there is no such thing as a bad single malt, only good ones and better ones :lol: r
Mate showed up with a bottle of Oban single malt. Was almost sent home it was so badly received by the boys that night!
W213 All Terrain

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Good coincidence Dougie, just finishing off the bottle of Quarter Cask that Kelvin bought me to Tut Towers ten years ago.

tut

colintinto

Post by colintinto » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 am

Did a Tasting Masterclass at the Glenfiddich Distillery a while back and the best one we tried was a 21 year old 'Havana Reserve', so bought some then.

It then changed it's name to 'Gran Reserva' - Americans not allowed to import it with a name like 'Havana'. Bought some of that.

Now it seems to be called 'Caribbean Rum Finish'. And the price has hiked up by about 20 quid... Even more at the airport as it comes in a presentation case. Oh well...

Anybody thought about investing in a cask? Was very tempted last time I was at Bruichladdich...
Tesla is coming...
2007 Volvo XC90 (everything fits inc. kitchen sink spec)
2012 BMW X1

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:47 am

I'm completely with Tut on the Laphroaig. In fact I have an unopened bottle of the cask strength that I bought back in the summer.
I keep going back to Laphroaig and Bowmore personally.

I've tried various malts, but try not to go too expensive, in the fear that it'll mean I enjoy the more affordable varieties less!
Picked up Jura Superstition for 20 notes in tesco, though i've not tried that either.. (Maybe I need to drink more :blackeye)

As for no such thing as a bad malt, I have most of a litre bottle at home that disagrees, and personally have found a few that I'm not that keen on, Aberlour, regular Jura though some websites seem to say these can be a little hit or miss.

Chris
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 pm

If you like Laphroaig, may I recommend Caol Isla. Easy to find the 12yr even in supermarkets. The 18yr is a bargain and is well worth a trip to a whisky shop. The 25yr can't be accurately described without orchestral accompaniment.

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm

I think I've got about 20 Malts kicking about (not bad for an English man who used to hate whisky!!!).

Another vote for Coal Ila (18 year old is very good, not tried anything older).
Favourite is probably Olt Pulteny, bargain at £20 and would love to sample some of the older ones.
Cask strengh Macallan is good too

I have a Jura that I'm not too keen on :leave
ImageImage

vet111s

Post by vet111s » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 pm

I've been enjoying this lately
http://www.lockettbros.co.uk/products/details/194

Single cask, bottled a la Gordon and McPhails. Good value cask strength laphroig.

Ali

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Current favourite is Lagavulin Distiller's edition - a recommendation of Mr TWH Paine Esq. I've also followed his recommendations on the Ardbeg front and have at least one of each of the Very Young to Renaissance range which appear now to be in demand. I also have the Rollercoaster, Ugiedal and Alligator in Committee-Release format.

Get yourself on to the Ardbeg Committee and you get access to special Committee bottlings and a heads up to new releases. If you want to make money, pop over to the Islay festival and snaffle a bottle of the distiller's special release - sure fire way to make £200 on fleabay the following month!

Edited to add, I also bought a cask of Tullibardine at a charity auction in 2008 .. only another 15 years to go before its drinkable :lol:
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

duggiesmith

Post by duggiesmith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:20 pm

GregR wrote:I also bought a cask of Tullibardine at a charity auction in 2008 .. only another 15 years to go before its drinkable :lol:
It'll be well worth the wait. I picked up a bottle of Tullibardine 18yo at the Leuchars airshow this year (nice presentation label). Lovely dram. Enjoy your cask.Do you get to visit it to check how it's maturing (purely for quality control :wink: )?
Duggie

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't.

Aubergine Elise S

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:58 pm

vet111s wrote:I've been enjoying this lately
http://www.lockettbros.co.uk/products/details/194

Single cask, bottled a la Gordon and McPhails. Good value cask strength laphroig.

Ali
Trying to ignore that site Ali, but 100 lines for not spelling Laphroaig correctly :D

tut

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Good to see that we have quite a few malt whisky lovers, especially Islay ones, as I thought that I was in the minority.

It can be a very love it or hate it affair.

tut