Cycling - NLC

Anything goes in here.....
istoo

Re: Cycling - NLC

Post by istoo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:30 am

woody wrote: I also followed advice on seloc & tucked in behind a tidy blonde pony tail after a few miles. Sadly my ability to go up hills was as poor as I'd feared & I was dropped when the going got steeper.
LMFAO, white jacket on? I did the same eyes transfixed...there was an outstandingly pretty girl at the tomintoul stop with hot pants lycra, she flew up the lecht hill past me, followed by a wave of me and other folk eyes transfixed and a sudden urge to go faster... or is that just me?
Had also been aiming for a 6:15-6:30 finish but foolishly drank a half bottle of dark matter the night before in the campsite so felt like crap. The whole closed roads thing was fantastic, never experienced anything like that the roadside support was awesome. I am not a natural roadie by any stretch

Good time Robin! I would like to do that feeling a bit better, my pals all finished around 6:10 and waited for me till the suie but i was just buggered, so theoretically i can go quicker...i managed a 6:50 which is OK i guess

Me on the left, in full MTB clobber.
S2 111s

woody

Post by woody » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 am

istoo wrote:
woody wrote: I also followed advice on seloc & tucked in behind a tidy blonde pony tail after a few miles. Sadly my ability to go up hills was as poor as I'd feared & I was dropped when the going got steeper.
LMFAO, white jacket on? I did the same eyes transfixed....
Yeah, white Rapha jacket :thumbsup

What wave did you start it? I was E at 6.12. Forgot to get any photos if me all weekend & I'm not even in the background on any of the official shots.

istoo

Post by istoo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:37 am

Err same group, I was in the front row, I backed off in the first climb as the pace felt too fast for me. Ended up towing along with a group till sunrise.

I was the only guy with baggy shorts and an MTB jersey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2 111s

woody

Post by woody » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:12 am

istoo wrote:Err same group, I was in the front row, I backed off in the first climb as the pace felt too fast for me. Ended up towing along with a group till sunrise.

Looks like I was right behind you at the start then, and in the photo above I'm just over your shoulder, below the cross.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:58 pm

woody wrote:
istoo wrote:Err same group, I was in the front row, I backed off in the first climb as the pace felt too fast for me. Ended up towing along with a group till sunrise.

Looks like I was right behind you at the start then, and in the photo above I'm just over your shoulder, below the cross.
is that you trying to clip in? :mrgreen:
"Here for a good time not a long time"

istoo

Post by istoo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Who me? No I had just done a cross up going over the start line [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] also took some air going over glengairn and a wheelie for the camera on lecht!

S2 111s

istoo

Post by istoo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:23 pm

more threads resurrection...
good looking morning today, been biking more than lotiing, much as I love the four wheeled thing, the 2 wheeled one makes me feel more alive.
Maybe I haven't scared myself enough on the lotus yet...

Clarkie has been riding a fair bit lately I see including a dislocated shoulder.

Anyone doing any big events this year? Any opportunities for some road / MTB SE meets?
S2 111s

woody

Post by woody » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Nothing planned yet and barely and miles this year. However, the commuting tyres went on the new CX bike a few days ago and I should be commuting on 2 wheels again as of this week.

GregR

Post by GregR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm doing the Etape Caledonia in a few weeks on a borrowed bike (many thanks Mr Hay!)
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Welcome matey! Glad one of the fleet is getting an outing and being put to good use!

point n squirt

Post by point n squirt » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:21 pm

I rode the Evans ride it at Calendar last month 56 miles ,the cycle up the Dukes Pass was a challenge for me. I've signed up for the round Strathaven 50 in August for those who have never done this one its worth going just for the food stops as its pure bake off.
The Complete Building Solution
www.lindsayjoineryservices.co.uk

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:18 am

Aye Istoo - been on the Turbo more than anything else lately thanks to the 'minor' incident involving my shoulder at Scolty!

Been out and about on the bike a little, just taking it easy, Physio says I can start riding a bit more 2 weeks today, which will do, my bike is in bits anyway, being off it has proven expensive... but its seen some pretty nice upgrades :D

The turbo trainer (thanks Smee for lending it to me) has been pretty good, I've managed to dedicate 30mins or so every second night, mainly doing HIIT to keep the fitness up and hopefully help me out by the time glenlivet enduro comes around,

Its funny that you said 2 wheels gives you more enjoyment, having only taken up biking around 3 years ago (then having almost a year off the bike in between) I am in the same boat, I think its just because it hassle free, more accessible and genuinely scares me a fair bit!

I should be out on the road bike again come next week I think, just commuting to the office and back, its good base miles, 25ish each way, 2 days a week weather depending.

if anyone is keen I can try and organise a ride in meets, road or MTB, im not fussed right now.
Vanlife Sprinter
E30 318is / axle stand spec
987.2 Cayman S
[#]=///=[#] ‘88 Panda 4x4
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles

istoo

Post by istoo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:53 am

Cyclocross is making a big resurgence, but the bikes are very different to those i rode 20+ years ago. Tempted, but then i look at Bennachie and think, that will just end in tears. too pointy / rocky here, and i am a terrible runner.

Etapes! Loch Ness was alst weekend, never made that for what is my home ride. But thinking about Etape Royale again, i liked the closed road thing, but i am struggling to find interest in doing the same event again.

I have always been wired that way clarky, one of the reasons i wont buy a motorbike is self control, I know how daft i am without an engine, adding one would be worse. HIIT and turbo will help loads, read up on it well or use any one of the apps avaialble. My issue is I just cant sit in a garage/room and spin away, i just want to be outside. And after a week like last week, top mountains checking out he view then melting down it reminds me why i love it so much. As for commuting, does get you fitter quickly, started doing the same as well again, a few weeks of ow ow ow and i shoudl be quicker again!

Glenlivet is a pedally one, circa 4000ft a ride, i did it last year on my fatty, tempted to try on the proper bike. Signed up for King and Queen of the Hill towards the end of the year.

I have had 4 months on and off the bike over winter as i tore 3 of the 4 muscles in my left leg trying to scare myself at this place http://unit23skatepark.co.uk/ i did succeed!

25m from my house gets me offroad and onto Bennachie, trial build and know the hill like the back of my hand, anyone up for a run there, let me know. Always looking for an excuse!

As a thought... would any pof the MTB set here be up for a drive/ride. Applecross is the base point for one of the best MTB rides in the country... could drive there and ride, then drive back.
S2 111s

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:31 am

GregR wrote:I'm doing the Etape Caledonia in a few weeks on a borrowed bike (many thanks Mr Hay!)
All the best for that :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

111Robin

Post by 111Robin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:46 am

I'm in for the 3 Pistes and Etape Royale this year. Done the pistes twice, last year the weather was murder so if it looks the same this year I don't think I'll bother. The royale was lucky weather wise last year, but even if it's dubious the closed roads make it worth the effort, plus it'll be good to see Ballater back to how it should be after the floods.