Cycling - NLC

Anything goes in here.....
ClarkyBoy

Re: Cycling - NLC

Post by ClarkyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:08 pm

istoo wrote: 25m from my house gets me offroad and onto Bennachie, trial build and know the hill like the back of my hand, anyone up for a run there, let me know. Always looking for an excuse!

As a thought... would any pof the MTB set here be up for a drive/ride. Applecross is the base point for one of the best MTB rides in the country... could drive there and ride, then drive back.
As you know Bennachie is back door for me too, getting to know it better too - pitfichie is still a favourite of mine,

As for applecross.. Sounds good to me !
Vanlife Sprinter
E30 318is / axle stand spec
987.2 Cayman S
[#]=///=[#] ‘88 Panda 4x4
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Myself and Steve (c7steve) are doing the 110 mile King of the Mountains Sportive next month. It's the same route as the Etape Royale but not closed road.

I've nothing else planned yet but Steve is also doing Etape Caledonia.

I've just been getting out at the weekend but need to start getting out during the week too. This weather isn't helping though.
Exige GT

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

hendeg wrote:Myself and Steve (c7steve) are doing the 110 mile King of the Mountains Sportive next month. It's the same route as the Etape Royale but not closed road.

I've just been getting out at the weekend but need to start getting out during the week too. This weather isn't helping though.
where was my invite Gary :roll: :D
Vanlife Sprinter
987.2 Cayman S
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 pm

ClarkyBoy wrote:where was my invite Gary :roll: :D
We signed up back in December. I think you were still probably incapacitated then (again).
Exige GT

woody

Post by woody » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:35 pm

If I do the Etape Royale again this year, I'm not camping out before it. There's a closed roads sportive around Kilmarnock which I think may be the same weekend this year though.

istoo

Post by istoo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:06 pm

hendeg wrote:Myself and Steve (c7steve) are doing the 110 mile King of the Mountains Sportive next month. It's the same route as the Etape Royale but not closed road.

I have a free entry for that, undecided still... I did it last year but it was cut to 67 miles, I am not fast on a road bike what sort of pace are you guys aiming for?

Agree with Woodie, Etape Royale was great, loved the buzz from the closed roads and the roadside support was inspiring, but the 3 hours sleep the night before and necking half a bottle of Dark Matter was not clever...

Clarkie pinged you a pm
S2 111s

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:22 pm

istoo wrote:what sort of pace are you guys aiming for?
My pace is to get to the end before I expire.
Last edited by hendeg on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exige GT

istoo

Post by istoo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:26 pm

hendeg wrote:[quote="istoo"what sort of pace are you guys aiming for?
My pace is to get to the end before I expire.[/quote]

haha! In the same place! Slow and steady works for me and eat and drink HEAPS.
S2 111s

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:19 pm

off at a slight tangent......

My endura flyte jacket has seen better days... might be heading toward the bin.

Any recommendations for something similar/better to replace it? Winter cycling & running use when it's p*ssing down and/or cold.

Cheers!

Dave.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm

DDtB wrote:off at a slight tangent......

My endura flyte jacket has seen better days... might be heading toward the bin.

Any recommendations for something similar/better to replace it? Winter cycling & running use when it's p*ssing down and/or cold.

Cheers!

Dave.
My Gore stuff has been very good. Pricier than endura IIRC, but much more durable in my experience so worth every penny. :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Dark

Post by Dark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:37 pm

DDtB wrote: Any recommendations for something similar/better to replace it? Winter cycling & running use when it's p*ssing down and/or cold.
I'd recommend two different jackets! Anything that's properly waterproof is too hot when you're exercising and it's not raining.
I've got an Endura Convert soft shell jacket which is very warm, windproof and has detachable arms.
For the waterproof I find my £10 Decathlon special keeps me almost as dry as my £100 breathable jacket.........
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

istoo

Post by istoo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 am

echoed above, i have quite a few Endura bits and pieces, one redeeming feature is the repair service which i have used a few times.
Gore stuff is great, i have some MTB Gore kit, shorts a shell jacket, which is over a decade old and gets regular use and is still functioning well.
A fair few of my more affluent pals using Rapha stuff, but it seems daft money, i like the functionality of Gore/Endura.
Altura can sometimes produce some cheaper but good alternatives.

Personal fit has a lot to do with it, some Endura stuff I find very short on the torso.
S2 111s

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 am

For MTB'ing I just use good base layers and a cheap waterproof 'mac in a sac' £20 job, ive got 1 that's lasted me the last 2 years or so, and recently purchased another as a replacement,

I tend to hate wearing jackets etc. I get too hot, so only have a waterproof one when its wet or snowing, the rest of the time is always shorts and usually short sleeve or long ones... that I end up rolling up anyway!

Base layers are the key for cold weather tho, on a very cold dry day the right base layers are a far better solution than a jacket IMO.
Vanlife Sprinter
987.2 Cayman S
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles

GregR

Post by GregR » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:22 pm

When I started on a road bike I had no gear so wore my Gore golf jacket - 100% breathable and waterproof (but £300 :shock: ) so I bought a 'bike' one. No water gets in .. but no sweat gets out; it's like cycling in a bin bag. Think I'll wear the golf jacket on the etape just to annoy the hardcore roadies 8)
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

cjm

Post by cjm » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:34 pm

I use a long sleave Castelli Gabba 2 for wet and cold rides. Windproof, breathable and will keep you dry in a shower, if you are out for hours in heavy rain you will get wet but its a bit like a wetsuit as it still keeps you warm. I just end up soaking in sweat with anything fully waterproof.
Colin
10-15 S2 Elise 111S
17-23 S1 Evora