Cycling - NLC

Anything goes in here.....
GregR

Re: Cycling - NLC

Post by GregR » Tue May 10, 2016 7:39 am

istoo wrote:Good effort Etape Caledonia folks, closed road event i assume?
Doc you must have been close to my pal Rich (only guy in baggy shorts) he finished in a 3:32. I am more in making around alive territory.
Ahem. I also had baggy shorts on! Absolutely no way I was cycling in Lycra only :lol:
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

woody

Post by woody » Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 am

Motivated partly by the sterling efforts above I dug the road bike out last night for a quick (or rather, short) spin. The past 6 months have not been kind, lots of work to do.

On the plus side, I was passed by a lovely red & white Elan Sprint 8)

Callummarshall

Post by Callummarshall » Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 am

Has anyone attempted any of the SES rounds? I was contemplating giving the lite version a bash at glenlivit but was unsure on what skill/fitness level was required. All I got from a Google was that the skill level required experience riding of off-piste rather than just trail centres.

Doc883

Post by Doc883 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am

GregR wrote:I'm guessing a 'moving' time is using Strava's auto pause rather than being the official time with the puncture stop :wink:
It is indeed :D
S-Max Titanium X Sport - Wife Spec
Audi RS3 Quattro spec all weather beast

Doc883

Post by Doc883 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:42 am

C7Steve wrote:Did you have your blue and orange Pinarello, because I remember passing one guy who was on my right with one upside down while fixing his puncture? Steve.
Yes Steve that was me, was I still crying when you passed :lol:
S-Max Titanium X Sport - Wife Spec
Audi RS3 Quattro spec all weather beast

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Tue May 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Doc883 wrote:
C7Steve wrote:Did you have your blue and orange Pinarello, because I remember passing one guy who was on my right with one upside down while fixing his puncture? Steve.
Yes Steve that was me, was I still crying when you passed :lol:
I felt so sorry for all the guys who were forced to stop.

Steve.

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 am

Callummarshall wrote:Has anyone attempted any of the SES rounds? I was contemplating giving the lite version a bash at glenlivit but was unsure on what skill/fitness level was required. All I got from a Google was that the skill level required experience riding of off-piste rather than just trail centres.

Hey Callum,

I'm doing the full season this year in the lite's, missed Ft Bill due to Shoulder dislocation, but im entered for glenlivet,

Glenlivet, from what the guys that did it last year have said is mainly the trail centre stuff with some off piste cut in, its a pedally place, which you will know if you have been before, so expect more calling for fitness over skill compared to most of the other places (RD 1 - Dunkeld was all DH ability, very little pedalling, mega steep, proper scary IMO)

Istoo did glenlivet last year on a bamboo bike he made in his shed IRRC, he will be along to give you some 1st hand!
Vanlife Sprinter
E30 318is / axle stand spec
987.2 Cayman S
[#]=///=[#] ‘88 Panda 4x4
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles

meatball

Post by meatball » Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 am

neil wrote:Well that's that over for this year. I think I started off too fast so struggled after the Schehallion climb 45 miles in. Made it round in 5:10 which I'm pretty pleased with for my first time.
Good to see Steve and Rolfey afterwards who both smashed my time.
How far was it?
Is it just one distance or are there options?

neil

Post by neil » Fri May 13, 2016 9:15 am

It's 81 miles with 4000 feet of climbs all on closed roads. There's no shorter option and you've got to average something like 13mph to avoid getting swept up as they reopen the roads. http://etapecaledonia.co.uk
Exige V6

woody

Post by woody » Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 am

meatball wrote:
neil wrote:Well that's that over for this year. I think I started off too fast so struggled after the Schehallion climb 45 miles in. Made it round in 5:10 which I'm pretty pleased with for my first time.
Good to see Steve and Rolfey afterwards who both smashed my time.
How far was it?
Is it just one distance or are there options?
Campbell, this is theone I mentioned at the weekend:

http://www.marmotteecosse.com/gran_fond ... ecosse.php

80ish miles from Kilmarnock on closed roads.

istoo

Post by istoo » Fri May 13, 2016 9:48 am

GregR wrote:
istoo wrote:Good effort Etape Caledonia folks, closed road event i assume?
Doc you must have been close to my pal Rich (only guy in baggy shorts) he finished in a 3:32. I am more in making around alive territory.
Ahem. I also had baggy shorts on! Absolutely no way I was cycling in Lycra only :lol:
:thumbsup
S2 111s

istoo

Post by istoo » Fri May 13, 2016 10:10 am

ClarkyBoy wrote:
Callummarshall wrote:Has anyone attempted any of the SES rounds? I was contemplating giving the lite version a bash at glenlivit but was unsure on what skill/fitness level was required. All I got from a Google was that the skill level required experience riding of off-piste rather than just trail centres.
Istoo did glenlivet last year on a bamboo bike he made in his shed IRRC, he will be along to give you some 1st hand!
I used to race in the same era Scotty C (known as Scotty D then) in the 90's when it was a laugh. I quite enjoyed the one SES round i did last year. I had ordered a new MTB so did it on my comedy bike, aka the homemade bamboo rigid fat bike. Was quite fit last summer so manage to beat half the field on enduro bikes, but riding round with my pals in an informal group then belting down something blind as fast as you can is quite fun. Personally I lose interest in race series very quickly as my attention span fades as i would rather be in the mountains or just riding with pals gives me most enjoyment. If you like racing, this is a good format. I have signed up for kings and queens later in the year. A few pals competing in the SES, British and World Series this year, and I cant give the commitment they do, not even remotely. But we all still ride as a group regularly. I love the social bind and love of screaming down a hill on two wheels...

as for fitness and skill, that can always grow. But with all races be as fit as you can be, the lite version will give you 2000ft of climbing and about 2 or 3 3-4min long stages. The full is near 4000ft of climbing and five stages last year, about the same for all the rounds, you do need good fitness for that amount of climbing in a day and pin it down a hill, as you want the strength for the fun bit. But more importantly just enjoy it, plenty of seasoned folk to give advice. Bike, I think i proved it doesn't matter. I do have a whizzy bangy sub 30lb 180mm travel race bike, but rode the race on a rigid home made bamboo fat bike held together with hemp and epoxy. Came 19th out of 40 in the vets category. But that's me being me. Its almost exactly what I would say to someone going on their first SIDC track day.

My middle sons pal is racing this year (13) on a £300 hardtail from Halfords. But he loves it, its cool to see new folk feeling the love.

If you try it and don't like it, fair enough, but watch these events usually fill up a month or two before hand.

@ Callum
If my memory is right, you clocked me in the lotus at Firstdrive not so long ago? If so, Paul is long term pal and riding buddy, he hasnt raced for years but is a nifty rider. If thats your locality, get down to drumtochty or fetty.
S2 111s

istoo

Post by istoo » Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 am

ClarkyBoy wrote:
Glenlivet, from what the guys that did it last year have said is mainly the trail centre stuff with some off piste cut in, its a pedally place, which you will know if you have been before, so expect more calling for fitness over skill compared to most of the other places (RD 1 - Dunkeld was all DH ability, very little pedalling, mega steep, proper scary IMO)
Glen livet last year;
Stage 1 was off the top of the red run going North, virgin trail through heather, semi techy but pedally
Stage 2 was lower down the hill heather path at the top semi techy then off camber over grass/ rocks. Fat bike was very quiick there, actually finished 6th overall on that stage.
Stage 3 back up to the top of the red again, and started on the main trail then turned and went striaght down the hill, its dunkeld steep, I did bin it in the woods there.
Stage 4 on the red run about half way down after the bail out route.
Stage 5 right at the back of the cafe and about a minute long rooty and slippy, my pal Christian had a big OTB and couldnt remember doing the race for about 3 days.

Overall, I did enjoy it but might do the odd one again as i am fortunate enough to get the same buzz from riding with my pals which satisfies my competative streak. I will say beware of Strava, it can ruin your life!
S2 111s

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Fri May 13, 2016 10:39 am

Good Run down of the stages there matey :-)

Callum - myself and Tony yule will be competing at glenlivet, both in the Lite's feel free to ride with us,

I am planning on getting up there soon too for some practice/training/fitness if you fancy it?
Vanlife Sprinter
E30 318is / axle stand spec
987.2 Cayman S
[#]=///=[#] ‘88 Panda 4x4
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles

istoo

Post by istoo » Fri May 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Sure, lets plan something, family duties at weekends so i am a strict Sunday morning. or anytime i can skive of work in the week :)

Route from last year;
https://www.strava.com/activities/32542 ... 7918869026

versus actual glenlivet park route;
https://www.strava.com/activities/541309154

Only real comment on the Enduros is the stages you compete on are short, so its a 3-4 minute thing, fitness helps in glenlivet. A day in Scotly or Hill of Fare is about as techy as it gets locally
S2 111s