Cycling - NLC

Anything goes in here.....
s29ttc

Cycling - NLC

Post by s29ttc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Been thinking about doing some exercise as I do nothing and cycling seems to be something of interest which I think I would enjoy. I know there may be a few of you on here so looking for some hints, tips etc on how to get started. I do have a couple of bikes in the garage in working order, what other things would I need to consider? I quite like to look of the old A77 road and see there are numerous cyclists using this route. I had a look online at some tasty road bikes and they are very expensive and would take a while to save up for so plan is to utilise the bikes I have and see how I get on. What other equipment do I need? Any help, advise would be appreciated.

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

BiggestNizzy

Re: Cycling - NLC

Post by BiggestNizzy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:06 pm

There is a big shop in Kilmaurs, maybe worth while having a word with them.

And watch out for that tricky lamp post on Rigg Street. it has a tendancy to jump out at you and break your face.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

Shug

Post by Shug » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:12 pm

If you have a bike already, buy a helmet, go cycling.

You'll find out if you enjoy it enough to invest further in stuff which only really makes it more comfortable or convenient to cycle.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

:withstupid

I would not even bother with a road bike; I know quite a few guys who have given up their road bikes and moved onto cross bikes as they are much more usable on our tatty roads.

If you find you enjoy it, and are thinking of getting some kit, then the first things to think about to get the best out of it, is some cycling clothes - the right stuff makes a huge difference. Don't pay full price for anything, all the cycling places in Glasgow (Dales, Alpine, Evans) have a discount / sale rail in the stores all the time. A lot of the decent cycling clothes are very expensive, but some decent savings can be had from the sale rail. Also, Decathalon has some okay stuff, if you are only intending on occasional cycles.

Other things that will make a big difference, make sure your bike is in good order, and set up correctly. Get the saddle at the right height, and the tyres at a decent pressure. These two things alone can make a big difference, and are free!

Have a look at bike hike course creator; http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php to plan some routes. Also, "bike hub" is a good phone app for planning routes and using as a cycling sat nav. Finally, endomondo is a decent app to track your routes, speeds, calories etc.

There are quite a few of us who regularly go out - you are welcome to join us if you want to :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

jason

Post by jason » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Shug wrote:If you have a bike already, buy a helmet, go cycling.
:withstupid

Dominic wrote:I would not even bother with a road bike; I know quite a few guys who have given up their road bikes and moved onto cross bikes as they are much more usable on our tatty roads.
But, of course, if you really enjoy road cycling and that's where you find yourself then 'bothering with' a road bike would be eminently more sensible than a compromised-for-that-purpose cross-bike. In other words YMMV and only you can decide what niche of bike you might like to treat yourself to when the time comes :thumbsup

Shug

Post by Shug » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:43 pm

I think what Dom is saying here is that dedicated road bikes now are so fragile (I know one of their number getting multiple punctures every ride) that with normal Scottish roads, a cross bike is eminently more practical. Even if only doing road. The A77 cycle path, for example, that Scott is talking about would kill a pure road bike, it's broken up tarmac and gravel (even though it's next to an A road).
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 pm

100% agree with Dom and Shug - first of all find out if you really do enjoy it and can stick at it and then spend money on kit. Even a mountain bike can be made to go pretty quickly on the road if you're fit enough.

Kit and bikes are all dependant on what you enjoy and where you go so don't make that call until you've tried out all the different genres (if that's the right word) of cycling to find the one that works for you. I personally like a mix of canal path, off road track and road so the cyclocross works best for me - but others love the moutain bike stuff and hate the road bit.
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for your quick responses. Thats what I thought to be honest, wheres the best place to go for a helmet, and is anything important to look at when you buy one? I think the bike I have is okay, my dad bought it years ago and never used it so it will do for now, just the road bikes look tasty and I get the impression you can go faster on them.

I have another which is offroad type bike with shocks and is very very heavy so probably use my dads old one.

Nizzy, I have no idea of my way around Stewarton never mind find Kilmaurs, but I will try find it on the sat nav, I should start learning the area where I will be living.

Where and when do you go out and about. Definitely interested in hooking up, as long as I dont hold you back. Remember I have done no exercise since we went climbing all that time ago, apart from what can be deemed as exercise ripping my house apart, there certainly was some sweat so I dont know how many miles I would last!

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Careful you do not develop a carbon fetish. Its a slippery slope.
W213 All Terrain

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm

s29ttc wrote:
Where and when do you go out and about. Definitely interested in hooking up, as long as I dont hold you back. Remember I have done no exercise since we went climbing all that time ago, apart from what can be deemed as exercise ripping my house apart, there certainly was some sweat so I dont know how many miles I would last!
PM Sent :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

RDH

Cycling - NLC

Post by RDH » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 pm

s29ttc wrote: Nizzy, I have no idea of my way around Stewarton never mind find Kilmaurs, but I will try find it on the sat nav, I should start learning the area where I will be living.
Turn right at the mini roundabout at the bottom of the road, then bear left at the next mini roundabout under the viaduct. Then follow the road to Kilmaurs, the bike shop's on the left at the first roundabout!

I was planning on paying them a visit, I'm looking to buy a bike soon and get back to some level of fitness.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Sanjoy wrote:Careful you do not develop a carbon fetish. Its a slippery slope.
Ho Ho, that's just stupid, I mean, who on earth would be daft enough to buy a full carbon bike then smack it off trees and ride down mountains on it.. :oops: :oops:

Love Carbon, precious carbon, nothing else will do (ignore all the above and buy carbon).
ImageImage

woody

Post by woody » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Kilmaurs is not far at all. The shop there has a reportedly good club along with it, my dad's a member. I think they go a cycle for all fitness ranges on a Wednesday evening and quite often pass through Symington; the roads around here are a good challenge.

You're welcome to pop out a run with myself in Ayrshire, or the rest of us in Glasgow sometime if you want. Just got back on my bike again on Friday after 4 weeks off, so I'm pretty rusty just now anyway.

A friend uses his road bike to commute from Stewarton to the south side on the old A77 fairly regualarly, it can be done. Think Obree used to do likewise before working a shift at the cycle couriers in the city?

As above, I'd have a shot on the bikes you have first. For me, commuting, back roads, woodland trails and some mud, my cross bike is the best fit, even on 23C tyres. You've also got Dundonald woods/The Smuggler's trail 10 minutes from you, a good place to decide if you enjoy MTBing.

woody

Post by woody » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Peter wrote:
Sanjoy wrote:Careful you do not develop a carbon fetish. Its a slippery slope.
Ho Ho, that's just stupid, I mean, who on earth would be daft enough to buy a full carbon bike then smack it off trees and ride down mountains on it.. :oops: :oops:

Love Carbon, precious carbon, nothing else will do (ignore all the above and buy carbon).
I'm already plotting next year's bike, the letters B, M and C feature heavily.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 pm

woody wrote:
I'm already plotting next year's bike, the letters B, M and C feature heavily.
I've no idea what this means but it sounds promising.. :?

Edit, google is my friend, if i got this right then very nice! :thumbsup
ImageImage